Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
What's he thinking?

Considering the beautiful curves in his work, what's with the kink in the seat tube? It would have been sexy with a gentle bend from the kink to the BB so the post could work just as it does with the kink.

MTB-)

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MTB-] said:
Considering the beautiful curves in his work, what's with the kink in the seat tube? It would have been sexy with a gentle bend from the kink to the BB so the post could work just as it does with the kink.

MTB-)
I know that Jeff likes a really stiff bottom bracket. To get this he runs a large diameter seat tube. I don't think that a tube that diameter is very bendable for the lengths we are talking.

Moto

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Much as I appreciate the grace of the curves of this design, am I the only one who prefers his other (older?) design with the straight seatstays that extended from the headtube? (Sorry, don't remember the name of that design and I can't be arsed to go look it up on his site right now)

And that fork has to go. It may be the dog's bollocks in terms of functionality, but from an aesthetics standpoint, it looks like hell on toast.

·
Registered
216 Posts
MTB-] said:

MTB-)
The curve would likely nt allow the seatpost to telescope down into the seat tube as far. Of course, he could raise the top of the seat tube a bit. But I've noticed that builders are using the long seat posts to get attention lately.

Ummm yeah.. I want one. Certainly at an emotional level. His bars make a huge difference on a long ride with a rigid fork. I can't imagine what benefits there are in having a bike so vertically compliant over the long haul.

·
Registered
907 Posts
motoman711 said:
I know that Jeff likes a really stiff bottom bracket. To get this he runs a large diameter seat tube. I don't think that a tube that diameter is very bendable for the lengths we are talking.

Moto
That makes sence, maybe it could be done with hydroforming. If it was possible, a bit of an "S" bend on the downtube would look great too - it just looks too damn straight with all of those nice curves.

Any info on the cassette? I think I read it is a 12-34 with 4 cogs. Any idea about cog spacing? Is it a modified Shimano, or completely custom?

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
seriously though

The guy's like the Frank Loyd Wright of Bike design.

And with a 1 year wait on his current designs most guys wouldn't even bother to make further explorations.

·
pepito
640 Posts
i'm with spinwheelz about the dramatic de-sexiazation of his latest frame. the older style was much much much more appealing. however, spinwheelz is on his own about the fork, that thing is gorgeous.

the_dude

·
Registered
236 Posts
that thing is dead gorgeous, i'm quitting coffee, and few other vices and putting my name on the two year wait list.

as for that hub i thought it was a king ss with cogs. there was some thread on the ss board that got into it.

e

·
Registered
804 Posts
Am I missing something here? .25" of adjustment? Give me a break. Moreover, who wants a bike with that kind of wheelbase? I would rather ride the older model too, and that one looked like a total piece. Mr. Jones is trying to reinvent the wheel and I'm just not buying it; as for the H-bar, I think it is a fine concept, but the Mary is a better engineered bar in my opinion.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The low slung BB is making the bike look like it is squatting. How high is the bb?

I saw a Jones at SOC this weekend and it was beautiful, but no way would I want one. Perhaps one of the H-bars, but I think that bike is too much bling and it isn't doing much for me. I'm a simple bastard though.

The Ito

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
never tire of seeing original art

my question is this:
motoman- are you now working for/with Jeff as his marketing/PR guy? i can only imagine how busy Jeff is; and no one else is gonna build his frames but him, so i figure he can get help on the business end of things.
either that, or you have found yourself a great friend to hang out with!
just curious. :)

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OneGearGuy said:
my question is this:
motoman- are you now working for/with Jeff as his marketing/PR guy? i can only imagine how busy Jeff is; and no one else is gonna build his frames but him, so i figure he can get help on the business end of things.
either that, or you have found yourself a great friend to hang out with!
just curious. :)
Nope, I am not his PR guy. But, I would do it for a free frame and fork! I am just on his waiting list. So, he keeps me updated with all of the new goodies. I am also one of the only guys who has actually gone to his house and riden with him in Medford twice. We talked about a lot of the details of this new frame when we were riding. He is passionate about building frames and finding new ways to do things (like telescoping chain stays).

As far as liking new or old "versions" of his frames. These are custom, one off, hand built, frames (hence the name Jones "ONE"). There are no versions. Jeff likes to try out new ideas. I don't see a lot of frame builders pushing the envelope like he does.

These pictures are of his own personal bike. Jeff rides a certain way, kind of like a trials rider. The bike is obviously set-up for his style (as was his 26" bike but nobody mentioned that). He can still build anything the client asks for. In fact he built this little number while he was building his bike:

Moto

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.