·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here we go again, Pike's, which ones would you put on the Reign [06]

409's,426's or 454?

Coil or Air?

Uturn or Fixed?

i am looking at upgrading the Toras later this year and was wondering which Pike i should put on, but also looking a tight budget.

G

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'd say to go with Air first up - the tunability is unrivaled.

Then if you can afford it Air U-turn (maybe CRC or DNZ will have a close out?). For obvious reasons of changing your geometry for the terrain.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I put a Pike 454 dual air on my 06 Reign last week.Only have 2 rides on it but I am impressed so far.Much smoother on the small bumps than the Nixon it replaces but handles the hard hits as well.I like the adjustability of air forks so no coil for me. IMO I dont see a need for adjustable travel on the Pike if mounted on the Reign,at 140 thats about as low as I would go,maybe on a Trance I'd go adjustable. Also the poploc works good to tighten things up on climbs if needed. The Maxle is a lot nicer then the standard 20mm that was on the Nixon,no tools. Have fun shopping

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
at this stage its looking like an Air Uturn model, maybe a 409 or a 426 as i cant believe how much more the 454 is.

poplock, ive got it on the Tora and love it, so i think its a keeper.

G

·
May contain nuts
2,445 Posts
Pitto said:
at this stage its looking like an Air Uturn model, maybe a 409 or a 426 as i cant believe how much more the 454 is.

poplock, ive got it on the Tora and love it, so i think its a keeper.

G
Air saves weight and you get a more progressive bottom out than with the coil. Signif if you're a big bugger and like to jump off stuff. Go the 454.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haggis said:
Air saves weight and you get a more progressive bottom out than with the coil. Signif if you're a big bugger and like to jump off stuff. Go the 454.
thanks haggis, i am a big bugger [weight wise] so i will take your advise.
i think having the ability to fine tune it with a shock pump has its advantages.

G

·
spinner
186 Posts
tom2304 said:
The 454 actually isn't as strong as the 409 and 426. Something like the crown is made of a lighter/weaker material.

P.S. Thats what ive heard anyway
I believe the crown is hollow on the 454 as well as using an Alum. steerer. I've given my 454 dual airs a good old thrashing and have no problems yet. Maybe the cromo steerer / solid crown would be good insurance for 4X or Dirt jumping ? Also , just to confuse Pitto some more , the weight difference is minimal between the 409 / 426 vs. the 454.;)

(I'm very happy with the dual airs BTW):thumbsup:

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Another vote for Dual air u-turn (for tuning option) and 426 (stiffer/durable chassis).

I prefer 426 chassis on AM setup since it has steel steel tube vs. aluminum on 454 and solid crown vs. hollow. Cheaper too.:thumbsup: At slight weight penalty of 1/3lbs.

Haivng said that, I own both 426 coil u-turn & 454 dual air u-turn. My Giant AC was ridden with 426 coil last summer and I really liked it. My rear suspension seemed (Swinger air 4way) seemed a bit over matched for Pike coils performance no matter how much I tinkered with rear shock (in plush setup).

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
SingleTrackHound said:
Another vote for Dual air u-turn (for tuning option) and 426 (stiffer/durable chassis).

I prefer 426 chassis on AM setup since it has steel steel tube vs. aluminum on 454 and solid crown vs. hollow. Cheaper too.:thumbsup: At slight weight penalty of 1/3lbs.

Haivng said that, I own both 426 coil u-turn & 454 dual air u-turn. My Giant AC was ridden with 426 coil last summer and I really liked it. My rear suspension seemed (Swinger air 4way) seemed a bit over matched for Pike coils performance no matter how much I tinkered with rear shock (in plush setup).
yeah, with the 426 you get the solid crown and steel steerer, but it still has external floodgate adjust. 409 is internal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.