Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think 'Shizzle was trying to do that. Oh well, let's try again.

I want a steel, geared, hardtail frame. Which frames are noodles and which ones aren't? Compare what you have ridden. I'm especially interested in hearing from the big guys out there. Of the 29ers you have ridden, which were stiffer and which were noodles?

My new XXIX+G is great in the fit and geometry department. The problem is that I think it is just too flexy for my clyde-ness. The front triangle twists on climbs and the frame actually tucks under braking, and not just hard braking. I was maneuvering through a few switch backs last night and the frame flex was making the bike really hard to track. Compliance in the stays makes a smooth ride, but shouldn't the front triangle be pretty rigid?

How do the Inbred and the El Mariachi compare? Am I going to have to break down and get an aluminum frame like the Ventana Padrino? My last mtb was a Surly Instigator. I know it's a different class of bike but I never saw any front triangle flex in that frame and it still had that nice, compliant steel ride.

So, let's hear your comparisons; who's flexy and who's not?

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
You might look at the Cannondale Caffeine 29er. I haven't been able to ride mine much, but it really seemed stiff at the BB the first time I rode it about 10 miles. It also has a ride that is soft. It is certainly not like any Aluminum I have ridden. In fact, it doesn't feel like Aluminum at all to me. I'm 6', but not all that heavy.

And then there is the Lefty. Now I can say without a doubt that the Lefty makes the Reba feel like a noodly noodle... an overcooked noodly noodle.

I can't really say much though. The bike might suck when I get to really riding it on some fine track. I just don't have the time in on it yet. I did notice the stiffness and the ride quality though. It didn't take me 10 cranks of the pedals to exclaim how nice the ride felt as far as the frame material went, and it took about 100 more cranks to look at the giant downtube and wonder how something that rode so soft feeling could be so stiff at the BB.

Just my thoughts with a mere 10 miles of ice/snow/pavement riding.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
My Surly 1x1 was not the stiffest I've ridden....not sure if things are the same for the KM.
My Vulture and DeSalvo are on similar par for the most stiff w/ a nod to the Vulture considering it has tandem tubing for the stays.

How big is the original poster?

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Former clyde.....

Throw a leg over a SIR 9 from Niner if you get a chance. It's squarely in the "Not" a noodle category. But I guess that depends on how bigga boy ya are. :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gitzit said:
How tall are you and what do you weigh?
I'm 6' and about 270lbs. The bike will be used for cross country stuff, no big air or drops, my 40yo knees won't put up with that stuff anymore. I need a bike that I can do long day rides on.

I'm most interested in getting a frame only and swapping as much as I can from my XXIX.

·
Klydesdale
305 Posts
Forrestf said:
Budget may be a little flexible given time and good sales bonuses. But, I would love to keep it in the neighborhood of $750.
I'd recommend you have a custom frame made by Curtlo, Spicer or one of the other small framebuilders who'll do one in that price neighborhood. They'll use appropriate oversized tubes for the top and downtubes and you'll never want to ride a frame made for lighter riders again.

I've been in the 245-260 lb range during the time I've had my three Curtlos and they're, by far, the stiffest frames I've ridden.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Recommendos

Forrestf: You got me by a good 30, but I can say that you shouldn't have a problem with a Karate Monkey, an Inbred, or the Caffeine F-29 Cannondale, although I did notice flex in the BB area on that one. I will agree that the F-29 has a sweet ride, but since it's way outta yer league money-wise, you can forget that!

Don't get a Salsa, or a Haro Mary, you'll be in the same boat as the Raleigh.

You sound as if you are a primo candidate for a custom, which isn't too far outside of your budget. ;) I'd strongly consider it!

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Flexy...

The Soma Juice is at the top of my list for a flexy BB. I've rolled chains off the rear cog (SS) with out of the saddle climbs; even on smooth ones. My Surly 1x1 was a bit flexy in the BB area as well. I'm 180# plus gear. I can't tell much is going on with the front end as far as flexy goes.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Boy, I'm getting to be a picky [email protected] about my toys in my old age!

Thanks for all the info, I'm taking notes for sure, but don't stop if you still have something to add.

Is On-One going to make a non-sliding dropout Inbred 29er, or just the 26 version?

Now I guess I have to start making a list of custom builders to check out, too. There's a bike expo here next month. I'll see if any builders will be there to talk to. Hmm, Curtlo is pretty close to here...

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
Forrestf said:
Boy, I'm getting to be a picky [email protected] about my toys in my old age!

Thanks for all the info, I'm taking notes for sure, but don't stop if you still have something to add.

Is On-One going to make a non-sliding dropout Inbred 29er, or just the 26 version?

Now I guess I have to start making a list of custom builders to check out, too. There's a bike expo here next month. I'll see if any builders will be there to talk to. Hmm, Curtlo is pretty close to here...
When all is lost, and choice is agonizing and impossible, then there is only one thing to do.

Buy a Redline MC29er.

Buy it. Ride it. Put a few parts on it. Donate it. Sell it. Keep it. It is the kind of bike that you buy when you are deciding what bike to buy.

That is what I did.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I prefer:

When in danger
Or in doubt
Run in circles
Scream and shout!

If I had more room for bikes, I would love to have a SSer. Damn this condo and it's tiny garage!

·
Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
747 Posts
Padrino vote

"Am I going to have to break down and get an aluminum frame like the Ventana Padrino?"

This is coming from a die hard "steel is real" guy weighing in at 140lbs of TNT.

I'm amazed how much I love my Padrino. It handles like a champ and goes exactly where I put it (usually a good thing). When I get on the gas it goes immediately. I don't feel like it beats me up any more than my steel SS, though it is definitely less "lively". Really depends what you want.

If you're looking for solid, precise, great handing (both tech and fast) and flex free the Padrino is a great option.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
I'm a heavy rider at 260lbs and would suggest a SIR 9 also. Mine is a medium and does have a little vertical flex. Yet no horizontal flex that I can tell. The vertical flex I believe is from the 853 steel. It almost feels like you have a little bit of suspension out back now and then.

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
I have to give props to the Ventana as well, even though I don't own one. I have steel frame myself, and have nothing but good things to say about it, but I have to admit a little time on a friend's El Toro really impressed me. It wasn't jarring at all, and the acceleration on a stiff frame like that is just really impressive. Frame stiffness is Ventana's mantra, so if it is important to you, you should definitely give them a call.

Oh yeah, the fact that you can get a frame built exactly the way you want is another reason to give Sherwood a call.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.