Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have GOT to ride the Owyhees before all the good trails get overtaken by the ATV-ers that everyone keeps talking about! (Then I'll have to borrow my Father-in-law's ATV ;) )

I've been trying to get out there for quite a while, so I'm working on the theory that the 27th try is a charm. My wife has been traveling all week, leaving me to do the solo parent thing. I'm ready for some "me time", and I'm 99% sure it's going to work out this weekend. Anyone riding out that way that wouldn't mind me (and possibly a friend) tagging along? I can provide a ride for anyone that needs one.

HH

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Double H said:
I have GOT to ride the Owyhees before all the good trails get overtaken by the ATV-ers that everyone keeps talking about! (Then I'll have to borrow my Father-in-law's ATV ;) )
And before it gets way, way too dusty!

It does look like I'm heading out sometime on Sunday....either late morning (10 or 11am) or late afternoon (around 4:30pm).

I usually park at the first parking lot on your left right after the road turns to dirt. I drive a yellow Ford Escape.

WARNING: I don't have a map of the place ingrained in my brain like some here. I just stick to what I think are relatively tame trails AND I'm SLOW. So if you are looking for a multihour epic...unfortunately I may not be the most ideal tour guide.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Guys!

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards Saturday. I'm going to check with my buddy to see when he can ride and then I'll try to figure out how to meet up with one of you guys. BelaySlave - I'm not the fastest rider around, that's for sure. Since I don't know any of the trails out there it would be helpful to just go out there and get the lay of the land. As long as your teddy bear knows the way I'll be happy. Of course, if that thing starts talking to me we may have an issue! ;)

HH

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
impdude said:
Leaving Boise about 8 or 9am.
Dave how long are you planning on being out there? Was that your gray Tundra parked in the same parking lot as Daryl this past Sunday?

I won't be back home until 10am at the earliest tomorrow morning and if I can swing it...I could maybe head out there for a bit. Are you planning on parking at the same parking lot tomorrow?

·
Rocks Rock
943 Posts
Saturday

Nick, I have a blue Tahoe. I have been parking at the first lot on the right after the feed lot.
I'll be leaving Boise about 8 or 9am Sat. I'll ride three to five hours. There are bail out points along the way.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in - leaving Boise ~8:30

impdude said:
Nick, I have a blue Tahoe. I have been parking at the first lot on the right after the feed lot.
I'll be leaving Boise about 8 or 9am Sat. I'll ride three to five hours. There are bail out points along the way.
I'm meeting a friend at the Moxie by Albertsons on 17th at 8:30, so we should be at the trailhead about 9:30 or so. If anyone is planning on meeting somewhere we can join you; just let me know when and where. (Or come meet us at Moxie.)

We'll be in either a gray Ford Global Warmer (Expedition) or a silver Saab wagon depending on which one of us drives. Black Turner 5-Spot and a yellow and black Intense Tracer. Hope to catch up with some of you.

HH

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
I'm road riding down that way on Sunday. I'll wave as I go fast the feed lot turn out.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today's Lesson - Just Say NO!

For your own sanity and safety: If I ever ask if I can join you for a ride - JUST SAY NO!

A friend of mine and I met up with Impdude and a friend of his for a Wilson Creek ride. I'm really glad that I met them, but I'm not sure if they share the same opinion. ;)

We got about 20 feet out of the parking lot when I had a problem with my rear derailleur cable. No sense for everyone miss a ride, so they rode ahead. They were gracious enough to wait for me further up, so I caught up with them after I fixed it. (Cell phones are amazing things!)

They had to continue to wait up for me as I rode like a bozo. I think I hit every rock and shrub out there. Turns out my shock had lost some air, so I was riding a chopper. Fixed that, but was still suffering. Finally figured out that one of my front brake pistons wasn't retracting, so the front wheel was dragging pretty badly. ARRGH!

Then a little later I smacked into a shrub, caught a stick in the rear wheel and tore my rear derailleur off. Not the hanger, the derailleur. :madman: At this point I was afraid that I'd get struck by lightning out of the clear blue sky and take everyone else out with me.

Because of me Impdude and his friend (not on MTBR, and I don't want to use his real name) had to miss out on riding Bingo. I owe them a beer or three, that's for sure!

Impdude - in the "I wonder what else could happen" category: We were driving back, passing a sugar beet truck when C suddenly slammed on the brakes and said "Oh, (expletive deleted), we've got a bike off the rack!" Not his, of course. Luckily it never touched the ground, but we had a good laugh thinking about how bad it could have been. "Uh, dear sweet wife of mine, I need a new bike. You see, it bounced off the car, took out the rear windshield and then got run over by a semi truck!"

Besides that, it was a wonderful ride. I can't thank Impdude and crew enough for showing me the trails, but more importantly, for their patience and good spirits.

HH

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Is that your black 5 Spot you took over to John at Custom Cycles to fix?
Sorry about all the mishaps you had...........better next time!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's the one!

mtnbkrdr98 said:
Is that your black 5 Spot you took over to John at Custom Cycles to fix?
Sorry about all the mishaps you had...........better next time!
Was that you that was walking in as I was walking out? If so, I'm sorry I missed the chance to meet you in person!

Of course, if I had shaken your hand some of my luck might have rubbed off on you... ;)

Actually, I had a great time. I really feel bad about bogging down Impdude. I think we've all had those days, but we always hate it when others end up in the shadow of our little black clouds.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Damn, sounds like a rough ride. Impdude is the man though. I went out there with him a couple weeks ago. One hell of a guide. Can't say thanks enough for his willingness to show others around out there. The owyhees are good riding.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Couldn't agree with you more!

Cracka said:
Damn, sounds like a rough ride. Impdude is the man though. I went out there with him a couple weeks ago. One hell of a guide. Can't say thanks enough for his willingness to show others around out there. The owyhees are good riding.
You're right about everything except it being a rough ride. To be honest it got to the point that I couldn't do anything else but laugh about it. (I didn't even mention my barrel roll down the ravine.)

I certainly was the juju magnet today.

Cracka said:
Can't say thanks enough for his willingness to show others around out there.
That sums it up!

·
Rocks Rock
943 Posts
Holy Shet

Harry, Sorry to hear about your continued bad luck. I hope it doesn't scare you off. Dont feel bad about the mechanicals, remember, Dean blew a tire and I jumped my chain into my wheel (again). The pace was fine with me. On past rides I have slowed people down with mechanicals and slow pace much more than we were slowed today. I hope to ride with you again soon.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I thought somebody was walking out but I've been so sleep-deprived I just wasn't sure! :)

Anyway, I'm sure John will fix up your ride just fine (nice bike by the way), and you're okay to ride again another day!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looking forward to it!

impdude said:
I hope it doesn't scare you off. .... I hope to ride with you again soon.
Thanks, Impdude - It takes more than that to scare me off, and I do hope we can catch up together again soon. I've actually been lucky for quite a while, so I guess it all just caught up to me at once. We laughed about it all the way back to Boise. Then I popped open a beer (or 2) and put in Little Miss Sunshine. Man, I don't think I've laughed so much in a long time!

HH

·
Registered
548 Posts
So how are the owyhees looking? I've been wanting to get out there on a bike, but seeing as I've only done them on motorcycle, I haven't wanted to explore the area when conditions are questionable...

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
DelTaco said:
So how are the owyhees looking? I've been wanting to get out there on a bike, but seeing as I've only done them on motorcycle, I haven't wanted to explore the area when conditions are questionable...
They've been good for me the past couple of Sundays. Expect typcial Owyhee conditons....sandy trails/roads...rocks...horse hoof prints.

As of right now....looks like no rain/snow is forecast for the Marsing area for the next 10 days. For Saturday and Sunday the highs are mid 40s and cloudy. Get out there if you can! I'll definately be there Sunday morning (HOPING HOPING HOPING to start around 10am). Not too sure about Saturday...that may be a road ride day.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.