·
Registered
290 Posts
1: Keep your rear tire in more constant contact with the ground for
a: Smoother (faster) climbing with less spinning out
b: Harder (faster) cornering
c: smoother braking down tech hills

2: Reduce rider fatigue, letting you go faster, longer

3: Maintain the forward momentum your body and bike have when going over bumps. On a hardtail, when you hit a root or rock, you and your bike are deflected upwards. This upward momentum comes out of your forward momentum and slows you down. On a full-sus, only the rear wheel and triangle get deflected up, maintaining your body's forward movement.

4: Lets you run lower rear air pressure without pinching for even more traction.

I'm sure others can think of more.
Hardtails can be fun too, though!

·
Registered
413 Posts
JMac47 said:
What will this frame do for me that my hardtail hasn't?? Hhmmm?

Inquiring mind.:confused:

Thx in advance-JMac
If you ride in bumpy rooty areas you rear tire could be off the ground 20% of the time. When your rear tire is off the ground no matter how hard you pedal you are not going to accellerate. A full suspension bike keeps the tires on the ground so you can turn your energy into forward motions.

You will also be able to sit and spin the cranks a lot more of the time. Standing takes energy that could be used to spin the cranks.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx all!

formulaone33 said:
If you ride in bumpy rooty areas you rear tire could be off the ground 20% of the time. When your rear tire is off the ground no matter how hard you pedal you are not going to accellerate. A full suspension bike keeps the tires on the ground so you can turn your energy into forward motions.

You will also be able to sit and spin the cranks a lot more of the time. Standing takes energy that could be used to spin the cranks.
Kind of a retorical post on my part I guess, I do have an ss, gear ht aswell as a 5+" fs (dissasembled as of now-haven't really found the love of this much susp). Trying to get some feedback on the new Anthem which is what I'm really was looking for. New shop openinig up with Giant as the main draw manufacturer. Hoping to work a deal with the shop owner on a new "X" frame to build up. Zippy out and back jam session or all day epic machine :cool:

·
Registered
413 Posts
JMac47 said:
Kind of a retorical post on my part I guess, I do have an ss, gear ht aswell as a 5+" fs (dissasembled as of now-haven't really found the love of this much susp). Trying to get some feedback on the new Anthem which is what I'm really was looking for. New shop openinig up with Giant as the main draw manufacturer. Hoping to work a deal with the shop owner on a new "X" frame to build up. Zippy out and back jam session or all day epic machine :cool:
Well liking zippyness is the key. 5"+ bikes have to have fairly slack (69.5 or slacker) so the bike can remain stable with a compressed 120-140mm fork. This generally makes the bike feel kinda sluggish while climbing and in flat twisty sections.

4" bikes with 100mm forks can have 71-70 deg head tubes and they can be very zippy in climbs and flats with only a very minimal sacrifice in decending plushness...Thats what the Anthem X is all about.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx formula

formulaone33 said:
Well liking zippyness is the key. 5"+ bikes have to have fairly slack (69.5 or slacker) so the bike can remain stable with a compressed 120-140mm fork. This generally makes the bike feel kinda sluggish while climbing and in flat twisty sections.

4" bikes with 100mm forks can have 71-70 deg head tubes and they can be very zippy in climbs and flats with only a very minimal sacrifice in decending plushness...Thats what the Anthem X is all about.
I noticed a Trance in your profile, did you switch to the Anthem?

I have fork options for either a 4" or 5" travel bike, a 100mm Manitou SPV Minute 2 or a Fox Float 130RLC, but have to decide on building one, that's the glitche :madman:. I'm sure I could get a "Trance X" frame to a pretty light build with the components I have, pretty close to what the Anthem would be. Just have to commit and be content to what kind of ride I want to end up with. :skep:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.