Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a 2011 Niner RIP 9 and have everything lined up but components.

I had a deal where I could get SRAM XX for the price of the new 2011 SRAM X0, but was told that I probably would want to avoid XX on a bike like the RIP for what it was intended.

I will be trail riding - no XC racing or anything really All Mountain, either. Some smaller hucks and lots of roots and rocks. Nothing serious, though...

Anyways, I decided to drop the XX idea and focused on the 2011 X0 or X9 2x10 groupings.

The issue I have is that the X0 stuff is about $400-$600 more than the X9 if you compare them.

I know the carbon arms of the X0 are lighter vs the aluminum ones on the X9. That aside, I look at the read derailleurs and am hard pressed to see a big enough difference. I also think the front derailleurs are almost exactly the same. The triggers look to be a bit better on the X0, but again...

I am putting some really good things on this bike and do not want to dull it down with lower end components. Of course, if X9 is as good as X0 and I can save $400 or so, I think I am willing to do that.

Here's my build so far to see where I am going with the bike:

-2011 Niner RIP 9 frame
-2011 Industry 9 Enduro wheelset with Flow rims.
-2011 Thomson Elite seat post
-2011 Thomson X4 stem
-2011 Niner Carbon bar
-2011 Fox F29 Talas FIT RLC fork
-2011 Ergon GA-1 grips

What I was going to add based on X9 or X0...

-Complete 2011 SRAM X9 2x10 in Gray/Black

OR

-Complete 2011 SRAM X0 2x10 in Gray/Black

Now, I was also willing to do 2010 brand new left over X0 3x9 stuff as it is what I have been using for years and not sure the absolute benefit of 2x10, but everyone keeps telling me to go 2x10...

thoughts?

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
Just go with the X9. An X0 rear derailleur is double the cost of an X9. To replace the cage/pulleys on an X0, the cost is around $120.00. More than a complete X9 rear derailleur. And for a component that will take damage, I see it being silly to put something that costs so much. Besides, there is no performance advantage from X9 to X0, except for the weight.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The benefits of the higher gruppos are weight and ultimate stiffness under load......or at least that is the way they are sold.

I would bet that you would need to get out some pretty sophisticated equipment to measure the stiffness, but it is supposed to give better performance in extreme situations.

X9 would be more than enough for normal riding, and indeed for most racing too.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are you guys thinking about sticking with 3x9? I have a Noir crankset and 2010 X0 3x9 stuff front to back. Worth keeping or should I jump on the band wagon and go 2x10?

As for the 2011 X9 vs X0, I think the X9 is C/F on the rear derailleur this year... I think from the pics I see.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
9 speed is just fine for me. I have no inkling to change to 10 speed. I would like to ride a 10sp equipped bike to see how it feels in an off-road situation, but I'll probably be sticking with 9 speed for a while.

If I was racing at a top level, I could see where 10 speed might be beneficial.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
frdfandc said:
9 speed is just fine for me. I have no inkling to change to 10 speed. I would like to ride a 10sp equipped bike to see how it feels in an off-road situation, but I'll probably be sticking with 9 speed for a while.

If I was racing at a top level, I could see where 10 speed might be beneficial.
I'm starting to think the basis to this is race orientation. I would think with us mere mortals that we can still use the granny gear on steep climbs and the big chain ring on road treks we do sometimes...

I want to go 2x10, but if I have a more than capable 3x9 setup, what's the real benefit other than some bit of weight loss?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
If you already have a capable 3x9, there is no need to do 2x10, unless you find the pedal stance of a 3x crankset is too wide.

This reason is the crux of the 2x10 development. Racers tended to drop the granny.....but this didn't improve the chainline nor the pedal stance. The 2x cranks have a better chainline and a narrower pedal stance.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I am in the same situation and am building a Jet9. I have been going back and forth btw x9 x0 and xx just wish I could figure out what parts are worth the money and which aren't. I know the chain rings and cranks are lighter on the XX crank and it's almost the same price as the XO and some say the XX rear cassette is worth it..but shifters and derailleurs I wish I could decide!!!:madman:

·
Registered
272 Posts
The biggest difference I have noticed in weight between X9 and X0 is the crankset and cassette. Most of the other parts seem to be very close in weight. You can mix and match groups to get a better value for weight reduction.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went x0 3x9 over X9. X0 RD for example has sealed bearings and can be rebuilt. titanium main spring also. X9 is very good, X0 is better. Is it twice as good in that it is twice the price? For you to decide. I had X7 and there is quite a difference. Never have ridden X9. I'd say from my research that X0 will outlast X9 due to materials used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.