Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· In my mind, I can do it!
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Fox Float rear shock on my bike and have noticed that the slider tube has a very slight oily residue. No drips or anything like that. Just a slight residue that collects dust. Is this normal or a sign that the seals are failing? My Marzocchi fork has no residue whatsoever but a friends bike that is brand new does. So is it normal for some forks and not for others?

Thanks

· Registered
1,737 Posts
It's normal.
iviguy said:
I have a Fox Float rear shock on my bike and have noticed that the slider tube has a very slight oily residue. No drips or anything like that. Just a slight residue that collects dust. Is this normal or a sign that the seals are failing? My Marzocchi fork has no residue whatsoever but a friends bike that is brand new does. So is it normal for some forks and not for others?

Thanks

· carpe mañana
7,319 Posts
The stanchions are usuallymoist in the beginning of their service. Once they break in, they should come out dry. This goes for both front and rear. After extensive use, they will start getting moist again and eventually wet, finally, leaky.

_MK

· In my mind, I can do it!
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MK_ said:
The stanchions are usuallymoist in the beginning of their service. Once they break in, they should come out dry. This goes for both front and rear. After extensive use, they will start getting moist again and eventually wet, finally, leaky.

_MK
Yeah, I am afraid we are in the getting moist again stage. I'll have to keep an eye on it. Are these fox shocks user serviceable?

· carpe mañana
7,319 Posts
iviguy said:
Yeah, I am afraid we are in the getting moist again stage. I'll have to keep an eye on it. Are these fox shocks user serviceable?
They are. I think that there is a video on Fox's website of how to diassemble, etc. Basically you clamp the bottom of the fork (the bolt below the stanchion) and twist the top cap off. The only disadvantage of doing it yourself is that they will not be Nitrogen charged, as they are when them arrive from the factory. At the same time air is 78.09% N2, so performance loss is minimal.

_MK

· carpe mañana
7,319 Posts
I was talking about the rear shocks. I don't know what Fox puts into their forks, I wouldn't be surprised if it was nitrogen as well.

_MK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.