Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Est. 1971
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is happening on my 2003 TALAS I bought new with a demo bike last Oct and have ridden aggressively since April this year.

I went through my Forx's manual last night, it didn't help much. With an air fork, is there oil in the legs? Is it part of the damping or is it all air? The manual also sez I shouldn't tear the fork apart because I need a special 'pressurizer' tool?

I though originally I had a blown seal, but now I'm not sure. Is this something I can replace or is this a LBS job? This was happening before I re-oiled the foam rings under the outside seals/wipers. It's not heavy, but it collects dust which then gathers on the stanchion. My next step is to write Fox. I'm not sure is this is related to the other TALAS oil thread below.

Thanks.

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
tim_fsr said:
This is happening on my 2003 TALAS I bought new with a demo bike last Oct and have ridden aggressively since April this year.

I went through my Forx's manual last night, it didn't help much. With an air fork, is there oil in the legs? Is it part of the damping or is it all air? The manual also sez I shouldn't tear the fork apart because I need a special 'pressurizer' tool?

I though originally I had a blown seal, but now I'm not sure. Is this something I can replace or is this a LBS job? This was happening before I re-oiled the foam rings under the outside seals/wipers. It's not heavy, but it collects dust which then gathers on the stanchion. My next step is to write Fox. I'm not sure is this is related to the other TALAS oil thread below.

Thanks.
The Talas has an air side (left leg) and an oil damper side (right leg). Even the air side has a little bit of oil in it for lubrication, called the oil bath. Apparently, the Talas air unit should not be opened up except by Fox, from what I've heard. That doesn't mean you can't remove the lowers and change the oil in the damper and fresh oil-bath oil. What you see is probably a little of the oil-bath oil getting past the seals and collecting dirt. There a lot of folks here saying that Fox's stock seals don't last, and are replacing them with Enduro aftermarket seals. I'm looking for the link to Enduro, and will order some for my Talas as soon as I find it.

Kathy :^)

·
Est. 1971
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I talked to Fox about those issues. They said the oily residue ispart of the bathing process when the fork compresses and it will leave a residue. If you find those Enduro seals, I'd appreciate you letting me know. I can't find 'em either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts