Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my xt pads oily. I wiped the rotors down w/alcohol and sanded the pads a bit. I then rode the front brake down a 1 mile steep and the rotor got so hot it warped and discolored a bit, but the brake is still not hooking up.

Do I need to get new pads or can I burn the oil off w/an open flame? I tried burning the oil off some magura louise oem pads a while back and it pretty much destroyed the pads.

I ordered a 2 pair of pads, but want to see if I can revive these fairly new pads.

ideas?
wayne

·
Registered
185 Posts
the pad will absorb the oil, so any hope of riding it off is in vain. Remove and replace. Before you install the new pads, clean the rotor again with alcohol to get all the oil off.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, thanks

wayne

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
wayneosdias said:
Do I need to get new pads or can I burn the oil off w/an open flame? I tried burning the oil off some magura louise oem pads a while back and it pretty much destroyed the pads.
Funny, but I have carefully torched a few sets of Louise (endurance 3.2 pads) a few times with only good results.

It depends on how much "organic" material is in the pads. Full metal pads can be torched effectively, but organic pads tend to catch on fire. :( I think the XTs may be organic.

You could try putting them through the dishwasher. I have heard of that as a remedy (never tried it myself).

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tscheezy said:
Full metal pads can be torched effectively, but organic pads tend to catch on fire. :( I think the XTs may be organic.
Ok there was my problem, I purposely torched them til they cought on fire, I reasoned the the oil would expand and surface out of the pad and catch on fire. Seemed to work initially but the pads fell apart in chunks after a few rides, so I jsut bought new pads.

I went ahead and ordered new oem xt pads, I was jsut cuirous if this in fact worked.

wayne

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
It very rarely works. It's almost always not worth the time to try, because the pads usually disintegrate. I've had mixed results with metallic pads, and only negative experiences with organic/resin pads. If you contaminate disc pads, it's almost always better to replace them if you can.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive got some pretty gnarly auto degreaser, Im gonna let the pads sit in some overnight and let'm dry for a day. Then Ill take them for a long bed in, nothing to lose while Im waiting for my new pads.

wayne

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I cook my pads on an electric stove element. Just heat till they start smoking, (element doesn't have to be bright red), keep them at the same heat, and once the pads stop smoking, the oil must be gone, so they're done.

This may work with organic pads, since you aren't hitting them with open flame.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
~hour in a toaster oven at 400F worked pretty well on a shimano organic pads. We've had decent luck with Dot fluid contamination too, but it's never quite as good as new pads. You basically want to heat up the pad to a temperatue that the oil or glycol will evaporate/boil off, without burning the resin in the organic pads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.