Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
free rider said:
so i was cleaning my chain the other day and i got WD-40 on my rotors and pads, there is sufficient loss of stopping power

is this repairable or do i have to go buy new pads
1. Remove wheel

2. Clean rotors with isopropyl alcohol

3. Remove pads from caliper

4. Place pads on stove element, pad material facing up

5. Disconnect smoke alarm near kitchen (possibly open windows for ventilation as well)

6. Turn element on to high. After a few minutes contaminated pads will start smoking. This is the oils/contaminants burning out. Keep heat on high until smoking stops.

7. Shut off element and let cool down unless you want to get a real nice burn.

8. Re-assemble. (including smoke alarm)

That could save you the need to replace the pads.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
006_007 said:
1. Remove wheel

2. Clean rotors with isopropyl alcohol

3. Remove pads from caliper

4. Place pads on stove element, pad material facing up

5. Disconnect smoke alarm near kitchen (possibly open windows for ventilation as well)

6. Turn element on to high. After a few minutes contaminated pads will start smoking. This is the oils/contaminants burning out. Keep heat on high until smoking stops.

7. Shut off element and let cool down unless you want to get a real nice burn.

8. Re-assemble. (including smoke alarm)

That could save you the need to replace the pads.
here said directions will stink up your house, they damn better work now cause my house smells like a welding shop

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
all right, got the problem solved...i tried burning it off and that didnt work so i soaked them in rubbing alchohol (isoprpyl alchohol) and rubbed them with a foam/sponge packing material...it works great and i would do it again

·
Uit Nederland
348 Posts
Someone once told me cleaning the pads with ammonia works to clean them up, after I oiled my pads too, this was quite a while ago. I ended up just getting new pads because the power will, otherwise, never be the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.