Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the oil for the first time in my Fox 36 (after stated service interval in manual). Sure as heck, one side was bone dry and the other was pretty low. Good thing I use fork lube quite often to keep the spongy washer below the seal wet. I figured Fox would be a bit better about filling their forks with the proper amounts of oil.

I will check my next fork straight away before even using it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
smithrider, did you notice a lack of waste oil on your stanchions after a ride, as the lower oil ran out?

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
You're supposed to lose a little bath oil as you use the fork; it keeps the stanchions lubed. Gotta stay on top of forks with separate bath oil. Doesn't mean fox did something wrong.

Personally, i'd be happy to carry an extra ounce or two of bath oil in my fork, but this is what the weight-obsessed cycling culture has brought us.

006, your signature is hilarious.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Come to think of it, there was a lack of waste oil from the beginning. It was not the case that I waited too long and all of the oil was wasted (although that can happen), I am pretty sure it just came fairly dry in one stantion. Again, the other side was a bit low as expected but at least their was bath oil there.

I think they probably do this for weight reasons as someone stated. I will just start servicing my forks the second I buy them. I think this is sage advice that I wish I read or thought about before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.