Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 2002 Marathon fork. It had a little oil in the negative air chamber, but I found the thread saying it was no big deal. I inverted the fork and drained it and thought to do the positive air chambers as well. When I bled those, about 5-10 CC of dirty oil came out of the left leg. Does this indicate a serious problem? I’m planning on changing the seals and oil, but if it needs to be rebuilt at the factory I won’t waste my time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
868 Posts
tsvaughn said:
I just bought a used 2002 Marathon fork. It had a little oil in the negative air chamber, but I found the thread saying it was no big deal. I inverted the fork and drained it and thought to do the positive air chambers as well. When I bled those, about 5-10 CC of dirty oil came out of the left leg. Does this indicate a serious problem? I'm planning on changing the seals and oil, but if it needs to be rebuilt at the factory I won't waste my time.

Thanks.
Good and bad news.

Good news: There is supposed to be oil in the positive chamber. That's where the oil bath is.

Bad news: There is supposed to be oil in the positive chamber. It sounds like you needed an oil change anyway if the oil was dirty. Open the fork out an follow Marzocchi's instructions to empty and fill the fork. You will probably want to get some Golden Spectro 7.5wt oil.

If the seals aren't leaking or in bad condition, I probably wouldn't bother with them. The Marzocchi seals seem to last a long time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.