Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have noticed more than just the residual oil on the upper left side of my Fox Forx 100R. I have ordered replacement seals, suspension fluid and fork boots. Any other ideas what might cause this problem on this shock?

·
carpe mañana
7,293 Posts
KonaHeriot said:
Recently I have noticed more than just the residual oil on the upper left side of my Fox Forx 100R. I have ordered replacement seals, suspension fluid and fork boots. Any other ideas what might cause this problem on this shock?
The increased oil on the stanchions indicates worn seals. You did good by ordering new ones and the oil. Boots aren't necessary, but if you want them, there's nothing wrong with them. What kind of fox is it? Float, Vanilla, Talas? I am assuming this is a float, in which case, you will need two types of oil for the oil change. You will need the Fox suspension fluid as well as FLOAT fluid, 5ccs of which go into the air chamber to help form an air seal.

_MK

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea it is a Float. What is so special about the FORX Fluid? I was assuming that it is just an oil and I could use something from the hardware store to form the seal. If it is different then I will buy some. I am skeptical because on my hydros they say to only replace the hydro fluid with Shimano Hydraulic Brake Fluid which is like $900000 for like .0005 fl. oz. (well maybe not that extreme) where it turns out that the fluid is just mineral oil. The suspension fluid I figured not to mess around with so got the real stuff there.

·
carpe mañana
7,293 Posts
Yep, you're correct in that branded stuff is way marked up. Best match for Fox Suspension fluid is Torco 15w fully synthetic fork oil. Following a few suggestions on this board I tried Maxima 7wt racing fork fluid (http://www.maximausa.com/products/suspension/forkfluid.asp) and it is excellent. Float fluid is nothing more than 80wt fully synthetic gear lube.

_MK

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OH MAN, I paid $23.99 for 32oz of Fox Forx Suspension Fluid (until I cancelled it from my order). I will take your suggestions and by the other stuff. I appreciate the help on this issue. About how often can I expect to replace my seals? I heard they will last about a year.

·
carpe mañana
7,293 Posts
year to two years, depending on how they're used. If you don't mind blue, check out enduroforkseals.com for a set that will last longer and works better.

_MK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts