Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 drop off triple. the rebound on it is very fast and i wanted to make it slower by putting in thicker oil. could someone please explain step by step how to change the oil?
thanks

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Amazing Larry104 said:
I have a 2005 drop off triple. the rebound on it is very fast and i wanted to make it slower by putting in thicker oil. could someone please explain step by step how to change the oil?
thanks
if changing the oil in a 05 is anything like the 04 its pretty simple. deflate the air pressure so u dont spray oil everywhere. if you are changing the oil with the fork on the bike you should remove your caliper and wheel so they dont get in they way or contamination of pads. unscrew the 2 little silver caps on the bottom of the fork just enough that oil starts to leak out. you might want to get a cup or something to catch the oil. then unscrew. compress the fork a couple times to make sure there is no existing oil left in the fork. you should be able to compress the fork so the lower crowns are very close to the seals in the lowers.screw those 2 silver caps on the bottom of the fork back on and unscrew the 2 caps ontop of the fork(where u fill with air) fill the fork with the desired amount of oil, screw the caps back on and check over the fork to make sure everything is tight. compress the fork a couple times, then fill back up with air. when i did it i completely removed the 2 bottom caps on the lowers and it was very very hard to get them to catch on the threads again. the caps actaully didnt catch one time and when i compressed the fork they flew out and i had to re-do the whole thign again. save urself the stress and trouble take your time man.

if i forgot a step or did somethign wrong anyone feel free to correct me, it worked for me though

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
You can do the entire thing from the top caps too... It's easier if you pull the fork off the bike.

Pop off the top caps, drain all the oil out, compress a few times. Put some fresh oil in, compress a few times to cycle it through, then drain it again. Fill to proper oil heights (consult Marzocchi website, oil levels provided in CCs and are only guidelines).

Marzocchi forks ship with 7.5 wt oil. Keep in mind that a more viscuous oil may slow down the rebound, but will also make it more difficult to compress.

To help keep the rebound slow, don't run very much air. Try about 15 psi in the right leg (when you're sitting on the bike) and about 5 psi in the left leg (the leg that has the springs..

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
saving time solution........why don't you just slow down the rebound...that would make a big difference...have one of your friends or someone who knows adjust your fork to your weight....you are probably to small to need to go to thicker fork oil...all you guys look skinny

·
Now riding Fox Shox!
479 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
saving time solution........why don't you just slow down the rebound...that would make a big difference...have one of your friends or someone who knows adjust your fork to your weight....you are probably to small to need to go to thicker fork oil...all you guys look skinny
Dropoffs dont have rebound adjustment.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
actually i weigh like 175 so i bottom it out a lot even with a lot of air, so it would be good if it was harder to compress. which method would be better?- taking off the caps and flipping it upside down or just draining it out the bottom?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Amazing Larry104 said:
actually i weigh like 175 so i bottom it out a lot even with a lot of air, so it would be good if it was harder to compress. which method would be better?- taking off the caps and flipping it upside down or just draining it out the bottom?
They both end up doing the same thing. I just pop off the caps, take the spring out, turn it upside down and drain. And then compress it a few times to get it all. Then I'll cycle some fresh oil through to remove any build-up before filling it up with new oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.