Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a 210x55 Ohlins TTX22M soon. I've read somewhere that the eyelets are 16mm instead of the standard 15mm eyelets found literally on every modern shock. Is this accurate? Just trying to figure out what I need for mounting hardware.

· Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind. Suspension shop just told me that while the shock does have 16mm eyelets, they come preinstalled with a reducer that sizes it down to 15mm so you can use industry standard shock mounts.

· Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

Also found this gem of a webpage for technical help with Ohlins coil shocks for those interested.

Based on the information on this website, it looks as if the metric shocks have a 16mm top mount while the lower mount is 15mm. 16mm is probably so that it can fit the spherical bearing kit. Imperial sizes look to have 16mm mounts top and bottom. I wish Ohlins didn't make it so confusing, but I have my answer.

· Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is strange, as mine use normal Fox bushings top and bottom. 15mm that is. Spherical did not fit, and fitting spherical bearings in one end seems not that necessary, if you ask me.
I guess you don't know which eyelets it has until you get it in your hands. As expected the top eyelet is 16mm with a brass reducer that makes it 15mm on mine. I used a Fox mounts as well.

I don't think spherical bearings are totally necessary, but they do provide many benefits. Frames flex so isolating the shock from that flex will make it work better and prevent binding and excess friction. If your frame isn't as aligned as it should be, your shaft will also be prone to abnormal wear. I've seen this on a few coil shocks. On air shocks, having spherical bearings isn't necessary at all since you have 2-3 times as many rubber seals than a coil shock. The seals act as a buffer for frame flex and misalignment and will wear out before the shaft does. The Fox IGUS bushings have some play and is able to provide some deflection so hopefully that'll act as a buffer against frame flex or misalignment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.