Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved to Charlotte for a reason. Visiting my folks was fun, but I would have to buy a Pugsley to stay in Ohio. I left the resort my parents live at and found an old railroad grade to ride down for awhile. I took a shot at a few timer shots since there was no one to ride with.

Pic 1 Small bridge out of the back of the resort

Pic 2 I came across a bunch of puddles that were frozen over. I tried to ride through this one on the way back and ended up punching through and getting a couple of wet feet. Not too refreshing at 16 degrees.

Pic 3 I thought I would get one photo at the turn around point.

Pic 4 I don't miss living in Ohio that much.

Pic 5 I had to leave my mark. There is just not much of an opportunity to pursue this kind of fun in the South.

If I still lived up that way I would have to organize a race in midwinter on the old tracks. They go on forever and pass through some small towns on the way. I was doing a lot of thinking while I was riding along.

Attachments

106 Posts
Great pics. Cleveland area?
I moved from Ohio to N. VA over a year ago. I actually miss Ohio's trails. The trails are limited in quantity but they make up for it in quality. Place like Vulture's Knob, Mohican, Mickey's Mountain and Lake Hope are super fun. Also, winter riding is great in OH because it stays below freezing the trails stay dry. Here, we have the freeze/thaw problem.
Thanks for the pics!

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
south and east of Cleveland

joyride1x1 said:
Great pics. Cleveland area?
I moved from Ohio to N. VA over a year ago. I actually miss Ohio's trails. The trails are limited in quantity but they make up for it in quality. Place like Vulture's Knob, Mohican, Mickey's Mountain and Lake Hope are super fun. Also, winter riding is great in OH because it stays below freezing the trails stay dry. Here, we have the freeze/thaw problem.
Thanks for the pics!
A town called Williamsfield, OH. No "real" trails for miles unless you include an ORV system about an hour away. When I first started riding mtn bikes back in the late eighties I just used to ride in the woods. I had a lot of trouble figuring out how mtb'ing was supposed to be fun.
I miss Ohio, but not that much. Mickey's was always a blast and I remember racing in the first OH State championship race there in the snow.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
Nice penmanship!
It looks like the handwriting of my old girlfriend... don't let the wife find out who was really taking the pictures, hahaha! :p

16 degrees and you still have skin showing. I am surprised you didn't have on your SPD sandals, you crazy man!

:D GG

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More snow???

number2 said:
Hey TD & OGG the MUDBATS have been riding in the snow for a few weeks now, come on up to MI and try your penmenship.. We'll by the Blatz.
No thanks, but the Blatz sounds good. You can't find Blatz in the deep south, and you can forget about getting a Schlitz.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,330 Posts
Fun pics. Thanks for sharing.

It's dark gray, 37 degrees & raining here (near Eugene, Oregon). Good news is we've only got about five more months of it before we start to get a little less of it.

But then, Oregon summers sure make up for Oregon winters. Mild temps & NO humidity!

Anyway, it's nice to see bright sun in your pics. Riding looks like it was fun, too. Happy to report I don't recognize the penmanship!

--Sparty

·
T U R T L E S P E E D
122 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Brings back a lot of fun memories. I couldn't move back to Ohio, however, some of my most memorable cycling moments were riding around the Chagrin Falls area (Cleveland) exploring what this new mtn bike contraption can do. With the advice of a bike shop, I bought a 21" Specialized Rockhopper in 1987. I only have a 32" inseam. Zero crotch clearance :) Either some shops didn't know how to size mtn bikes in the 80's or maybe that was just acceptable.

Anyways, biking back then for a group of BMXer's turned newby Mtber's was:
1.) See who can ride over the most enormous downed tree trunk without falling down.
2.) Let's see how far and how fast we can ride through this rock and boulder strewn ditch.
3.) The best: let's see who can ride the furthest into the deep end of this river before you start floating. Yes, my oversized mtn bike's bearings were rusty and squeeky but WD40 was suppose to fix everything!

·
Registered
885 Posts
We still....

We still do 1 and 2, and the water part of 3 on a hot summer day! No more WD40 though. Add to this trying to ride down waterfalls, urban rides, night rides and freeze your butt off 0 deg winter rides and you have Ohio riding down.

The trail selection has gotten much better, at least here in the southern end of the state, plus we have Kentucky and WVA near by for more interesting rides, hell North Carolina is only 4.5 hours away. I still have yet to ride a western states trail that has the steep climbs and fun twists and turns of our trails, but the scenery and weather are much better.

MC

"1.) See who can ride over the most enormous downed tree trunk without falling down.
2.) Let's see how far and how fast we can ride through this rock and boulder strewn ditch.
3.) The best: let's see who can ride the furthest into the deep end of this river before you start floating. Yes, my oversized mtn bike's bearings were rusty and squeeky but WD40 was suppose to fix everything!"

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My memories

KMA said:
Anyways, biking back then for a group of BMXer's turned newby Mtber's was:
1.) See who can ride over the most enormous downed tree trunk without falling down.
3.) The best: let's see who can ride the furthest into the deep end of this river before you start floating. Yes, my oversized mtn bike's bearings were rusty and squeeky but WD40 was suppose to fix everything!
I mostly remember seeing trails from the road/highway and making a note of thier location. Later we would try to get access to them from back roads, vacant lots, private property, or just plain bushwacking. I remember fording a stream after a recent flood on a 40 degree day. We underestimated its depth and ended up chest deep in a fast current. No one died, but I think we wished we had for the next couple hours. All within a 1/2 hour from Youngstown State University.

·
T U R T L E S P E E D
122 Posts
MellowCat said:
We still do 1 and 2, and the water part of 3 on a hot summer day! No more WD40 though. Add to this trying to ride down waterfalls, urban rides, night rides and freeze your butt off 0 deg winter rides and you have Ohio riding down.

Waterfalls! Yes, right on!!! :) I think you should go back to your roots, take a picture launching off that waterfall, and send it into Dirt Rag.

As Teamdicky mentioned, a Surly Pugsly would be the ideal bike for some of those snowy Ohio days and terrain. 4" floatation tires in a river, hmmmm, imagine...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.