Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
~*~*~*~*~
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On and off this year when I ride the left side of my back has been hurting. Most of the time it is low down, sort of above my pelvic bone, and only on the left side. If I sit very upright, or get off, for a few minutes the pain diminishes or goes away. I can’t see a pattern to the pain, sometimes it can happen on a easy, lots of sitting ride, sometimes a pounding, bouncing around, always off the seat ride. The pain does not continue after the ride is done, so it’s gotta be something about the way I’m riding.
I’ve had this bike for 3 years now and this is the first year this is happening. The seat etc. etc. is all in the same position as the last 2 years. I always make sure to put things back the way they were after cleaning or what ever.
Now, it could be just the result of the sand of time trickling through the hourglass, but I rather not face that reality, so…any ideas?

OB

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
me, I'm a big fan of chiropractic... with something like that going on I'd go get and adjustment. My doc rides a sugar race, she understands the needs of mountain bikers.

formica

·
Supervixen
82 Posts
Ideas:

Same sadde? After a while, the padding compresses, so it might be shaped differently now than when it was newer.

Also, maybe you tweaked a muscle somewhere along the way - falling or body-englishing your way around something - without really noticing. The muscle could be tightening in the riding position and pulling things with it.

I'm a big yoga fan. It freed me from lower back pain that an orthopedist said could only be managed with lots of ibuprofin :( Being hunched over a computer at work and hunched over handlebars in your free time can really stress your back.

Similarly, in my experience, it doesn't hurt to change things up in your bike setup once in a while, especially if you only ride one bike. I don't mean that to sound snooty - it's just that if you always ride the same bike in the same position, your always putting the same stress on the same body parts. I ride a few different bikes, but riding the hardtail (the one I ride the most) started to bother my neck after two years with the same setup. I raised it a few weeks ago and my neck doesn't bother me anymore.

Whatever it is, it's definitely not age ;)

CP

oldbroad said:
On and off this year when I ride the left side of my back has been hurting. Most of the time it is low down, sort of above my pelvic bone, and only on the left side. If I sit very upright, or get off, for a few minutes the pain diminishes or goes away. I can't see a pattern to the pain, sometimes it can happen on a easy, lots of sitting ride, sometimes a pounding, bouncing around, always off the seat ride. The pain does not continue after the ride is done, so it's gotta be something about the way I'm riding.
I've had this bike for 3 years now and this is the first year this is happening. The seat etc. etc. is all in the same position as the last 2 years. I always make sure to put things back the way they were after cleaning or what ever.
Now, it could be just the result of the sand of time trickling through the hourglass, but I rather not face that reality, so…any ideas?

OB

·
Registered
922 Posts
maybe try a good massage therapist with sports experience before adjusting your bones. if it's soft tissue muscle related this could help.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I'm definitely in favor of seeing a good chiropractor. One who takes x-rays first thing and spends the first appointment discussing your history, aches and pains, activity level, etc. My chiropractor has definitely helped me (usually after big wrecks) and my husband (who spends way too much time driving or sitting at a desk). And when we referred a friend who was having problems, our chiropractor took x-rays and sent him directly to an orthopedic surgeon because he had problems that needed that type of care. Find one you trust, who knows what he can and cannot do, and they are very helpful.

Oh, and here's an article on back exercises and posture and such from my favorite women's bodybuilding site:

http://stumptuous.com/back_pain.html

·
Registered
656 Posts
used to be i would get muscle spasms in my lower back about 4 miles into a ride. i went to my lbs to make sure my bike 'fit' was right. turned out i needed my seat forward about a cm and voila, no more muscle spasms. i suggest you go to your lbs and see what can be done.

if not that, i suggest a chiropractor. i go to one and he is a big help(i have fibromyalgia). if chiropractic is not your style then i suggest going to your primary doc and see if he/she can help.

and as someone else suggested, try massage with a licensed masseuse(sp?).

good luck. back pain is a b!tch.

Rita

·
Go Bears!
141 Posts
zer0 said:
if not that, i suggest a chiropractor. i go to one and he is a big help(i have fibromyalgia). if chiropractic is not your style then i suggest going to your primary doc and see if he/she can help.
Most primary care docs won't be able to help much. Several friends and relatives of mine are internal med docs, and they won't touch knee/back stuff with a pole. It's a very specialized field, especially for sports. Check with your insurance program, some require your primary care doc to refer you. Or you can just find a good orthopedic surgeon and list him as your primary physician. ;-)

·
~*~*~*~*~
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Same sadde? After a while, the padding compresses, so it might be shaped differently now than when it was newer."

Ahhhh! *Light bulb lights up* Yes, same saddle. I've been thinking that it is due to be replaced, the leather is ripping on the sides.

Yoga is great. Before I took up mtbing, I had lower back pain on and off. Started yoga at the gym and the pain went away. :)
Thanks All!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.