Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I live to bike
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've taken my young son mountain biking with me on the trail-a-bike a few times, which he really loves. "Mountain biking is crazy and bumpy and fun!" was what he shouted. Makes a father proud!

He turned 5 in June, and learned to ride two wheels right at that time. So after a summer of riding around the neighborhood, we headed for the local trail for his first ride on singletrack on a single bike.

I only took him on a short section of level singletrack, but he did really well for a five year old on the trail for the first time! He even attempted to ride over a couple logs. I'm going to have to work on my skills if I want to stay ahead of him!

The best was when I rode a large downed tree that was alongside the multi-use path. About 2 feet in diameter, and a foot off the ground. "Wow, daddy, that's cool! I want to do it, too!" So I put his bike up on the tree and away he went on down to the end of the tree! (I was holding on to him, he's not quite That good, yet :) ).

Couple of pics of him standing with his bike on the tree. Sorry they are so small, they are from the camera phone.

I think my son loves biking as much as I do, maybe even more. Mountain biking will only get better the more I can take him with me!

Attachments

·
Killer b.
1,523 Posts
Yeah man, that is cool! My older brother takes his young kids mountain biking. His son is pretty cautious, but his daughter will attempt to ride anything! That's awesome that he wanted to ride the log.
I learned to ride at about age 5 and my older brothers had me going over jumps as soon as the training wheels were off. I spent countless happy hours ripping around the neighborhood on my bmx as a kid, and I can't wait to be able to share similar experiences with my boy.

b.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great. Won't be long before your boy is like mine. In this photo he is 5 3/4. This photo was taken at about half way through a 2 hour ride. My boy loves it and would be out everyday if my time was more available.

Attachments

·
I live to bike
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turbs1 said:
Great. Won't be long before your boy is like mine. In this photo he is 5 3/4. This photo was taken at about half way through a 2 hour ride. My boy loves it and would be out everyday if my time was more available.
That's an awesome-looking trail. That's cool he's able to go so long. I've taken my son on multi-hour rides on the trail-a-bike, but we haven't tried such a long ride on his own bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts