Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New out-of-shape and over weight rider + new to clipless pedals + inetrmeidate to advance single track = humbling experience.

I have been trying my clipless pedals on some very easy tracks and road riding so I thought I was ready for the trail. I tried a trail I have never been on before that, I found out, was more that a little to advanced for me and if i fell once, I fell once I fell ten times. This was quit a humbling experience. I had fun though and will go back but with out the clipless pedals.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
It takes practice to make the use of clipless pedals instinctive. So you have to use them. Maybe settle for easier trails for a while.

That said, when I put on clipless pedals for the first time, I lost my confidence in some rocky spots: not good. You need some confidence to make it work. I put flat pedals back on the bike for a couple of weeks to convince myself that I can ride those spots.

·
Registered
745 Posts
You should ride the trail a couple of times on flats to gain some confidence, especially as you're a new rider, period, not just to clipless. Once you realize that your skills are where they should be at, use the clipless again. When I first started riding clipless, I would clip out at every single rock I saw in the trail...and around here that was a lot of the time! However, eventually I built up the confidence, and now I wig out if I'm not clipped in on the rocky spots. It'll just become second nature. Just give it some time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did like the clipless on the hills, I could tell a big difference. I plan on keeping them on when I am on easier trails and switch out until on harder trails until I get some confidence back.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,304 Posts
Some light weight pads (like sixsixone veggie wraps) will help out a lot with the 'confidence whilst riding in rock gardens' issue, and not be too cumbersome to wear.

Don't give up on clipless, it really is worthwhile to make the switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Something I forgot when I was trying my clipless was that you can lessen the tension on the pedal so its easier to clip out when you need to.

I still ride my flats mostly as I'm still learning but when I do run clipless its a ton easier to get out now that I've dialed out the tension on the pedals.

Hope that might help some new to clipless people.

Cheers

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just stick with them. They will force you to become a better rider because you'll be too afraid to fall. At least that is what happened to me. :)

·
493 Posts
I did the same thing as you. Got started biking and went clipless right off the bat. Took six spills on the last medium/high skill trail I attempted. One bruised rib and an armful of chigger bites later, I started re-riding the lower skill trail over and over making sure my technique is as good as I can get it. I'm almost ready for the higher level stuff. Almost.

Don't give up. Keep at it even if you have to scale back your aspirations. Keep working on finding the best lines and clipping out in a hurry when things get hairy. You'll get it soon enough.

http://www.expertvillage.com/expert/68.htm

This site has been a lot of help to me. Hope it helps you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts