Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And crappy mavic customer service.

While waiting for my frame I was planning on lacing some 819's to King hubs, but mavic sucks and won't send them to me. So, bottom line is I'm going with some Eastons and selling the king hubs I had already acquired.

It will still be a sick spot. As soon as the Copper frame comes in I'll post it up for the others waiting to drool over. Too bad I'm living on Martha's Vineyard and won't really be able to put it through a proper test until I get home to Santa Cruz because the Vineyard is flat....

Anyways, there are some sweet pewter hubs for sale in the marketplace.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=7962

Michael

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because as a shop employee eastons ep program is toooooooo good to pass up. Even with cost and ep to build up the king wheels, they are double the cost of the eastons....

Oh, and I9's, they're EP program is minimal, and their wholesale is high. Whoever sells them does not even make keystone....

Which means when you buy them as a consumer, you are getting what you pay for, not some mark up.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Are you going with the Havocs? If so, I'd rethink your purchase. Some of my riding buddies are on Havocs, and have had nothing but problems with their undersized bearings. These issues having arisen after less than a month on both sets. Easton's road wheels are top notch(Got a set of Orion II's on mine), but their mountain hubs need some work!

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
michael_lowery said:
If I spend that much though I might as well just keep the king hubs and buy some 5.1s.

Hmmm oh the options.

Michael
Now ya making sense, DT rims aren't too expensive, match them too some DT 14 straight gauge spokes and you'll have a stiff strong wheel which is still light but perfect for the Spot, imo fun bolt the rear CK hub for some extra stiffness your Spot will rock, theres a bit of difference between QR and bolt through, I did this tooo my buds Spot some time ago and hes wrapped with the results of his FB Kings, Kings are worth it imo u wont want for hubs for some years, biggest issue is they take about a year or 2 to break in, then they run like new:thumbsup:

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
keystone on high end? nice dream. we havent seen that since the mid 90's.

keep the kings and get some 5.1d's but id go with comps or super comps myself. im late in a long list of fans of dt hoops. had many years of excellent service from my mustang disc osb's too.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had some super comps to lace up to the mavics. I guess I'll have to consider the hubs a sunk cost since I've already got them and pick some new hoops.

I'm ordering up some brakes today, going with some K24's I think. Other than that, the build is pretty much set, all I need now is a frame. We'll see if I get it this month or next.

Michael

·
twinkie
139 Posts
michael_lowery said:
Oh, and I9's, they're EP program is minimal, and their wholesale is high. Whoever sells them does not even make keystone....
In the high-end wheel market??????
I have never heard of anyone offering a keystone mark-up in the high-end wheel world. Even if we moved our stuff to Taiwan we would not be able to offer dealers keystone, but I would be able to offer a cheaper EP and a lesser quality product.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Whoa guys, I was certainly not knocking I9's quality. Just saying even as a shop employee I could not afford them.

There is no doubt in my mind they are worth the money and a damn fine wheel, I just couldn't bring myself to buy them. Forgive the ignorance, and lets focus on you guys continuing to provide insight, suggestions, photos, and share in the stoke. Because once the damn frame comes in no one will care what I ended up going with or spent on the bike but will just say, there goes another happy turner rider.

I'm just antsy to put this pile of parts I have sitting on the floor of my room to use. They are getting dusty!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The chain of logic was purely a financial based discussion. I was trying to figure out how I could break even on the deal. Seeing as the hubs are already in my position I might very well still build them up. Mostly I was just frustrated with Mavic's customer service, two weeks, two weeks, oh you can't prodeal those, two more weeks etc.

I was looking for support and can't afford a psychologist...this is the next best thing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.