Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
check out my thread

Yep, happened to me 2 weeks ago on my 6 month old Enduro. Specialized is replacing the driveside seat stay where the hanger bolts onto. Not sure if they cover the hanger since it is mean to break. If not, they cost about 12 bucks.

I started a thread on this. "replaceable der hanger issues" Other people have had the same problem. It's a poor design.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
thesacrifice said:
Somehow my rear derailer hanger bent as well as the eyelet!
OH PLEASE!!! Not another JRA story. Just admit what happened. It got caught on a branch or fell on a rock or you crashed and the bike took a tumble then............viola derailleur broke along with hanger and eyelet. "Somehow"...make me f*ing laugh. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly, I don't know how it happened. I had one minor whipe out mid loop today but made it back to the cars without an issue, it wasnt until loading it into a truck and unloading it later and trying to ride around did I hear the derailer clipping the spokes.

No need to be rude or a jerk.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
thesacrifice said:
Honestly, I don't know how it happened. I had one minor whipe out mid loop today but made it back to the cars without an issue, it wasnt until loading it into a truck and unloading it later and trying to ride around did I hear the derailer clipping the spokes.

No need to be rude or a jerk.
I wasn't trying to be rude or a jerk, I don't have too try. ;p But I'm amazed that people still use the JRA story, to try and make excuses for their own mistakes. So there you have it, you crashed
thesacrafice said:
''I had one minor whipe out"
and broke your bike. No big deal, just get it fixed. But quit trying to make it seem like it was some structural failure on the part of your bike and that somehow it was Specialized's fault.

It's sceneraios like this that make bike companies not trust consumers, making it harder for the honest person to get a fair deal when he/she has a problem.

It sucks you broke your bike so early after you got it, but hey that's MTB. Be happy it's something small, cheap and pretty easy to replace. I'm sure you'll be back up riding again in no time. :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
red5 said:
I wasn't trying to be rude or a jerk, I don't have too try. ;p But I'm amazed that people still use the JRA story, to try and make excuses for their own mistakes. So there you have it, you crashed and broke your bike. No big deal, just get it fixed. But quit trying to make it seem like it was some structural failure on the part of your bike and that somehow it was Specialized's fault.

It's sceneraios like this that make bike companies not trust consumers, making it harder for the honest person to get a fair deal when he/she has a problem.

It sucks you broke your bike so early after you got it, but hey that's MTB. Be happy it's something small, cheap and pretty easy to replace. I'm sure you'll be back up riding again in no time. :)
I don't even know what JRA is, sorry. Secondly, I'm still not convinced on how this happened, perhaps it was the crash, perhaps it wasnt, but as I said, the bike worked spendly after the crash. Perhaps something happened in the truck, I just dont know. Of course there's a reasonable articuable suspicion of what might have caused it, but there's no true probable cause, theres nothing in my mind that says beyond any doubt that act X caused this.

There's another recent thread where other people have listed the same problem, so perhaps it is a piece with a little less structural integrity then need be or maybe we're all negligent. Either way, I wasn't operating the bike outside of what its meant for, and I was curious on wether other people had experienced this before and maybe if specialized had made some kind of formal statement regarding the eyelets.

I'm not looking for a free bike, I'm not looking for anyones sympathy....and just to recoup.. it's the eyelet im worried about, not the hanger

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
thesacrifice said:
I don't even know what JRA is, sorry. Secondly, I'm still not convinced on how this happened, perhaps it was the crash, perhaps it wasnt, but as I said, the bike worked spendly after the crash. Perhaps something happened in the truck, I just dont know. Of course there's a reasonable articuable suspicion of what might have caused it, but there's no true probable cause, theres nothing in my mind that says beyond any doubt that act X caused this.

There's another recent thread where other people have listed the same problem, so perhaps it is a piece with a little less structural integrity then need be or maybe we're all negligent. Either way, I wasn't operating the bike outside of what its meant for, and I was curious on wether other people had experienced this before and maybe if specialized had made some kind of formal statement regarding the eyelets.

I'm not looking for a free bike, I'm not looking for anyones sympathy....and just to recoup.. it's the eyelet im worried about, not the hanger
JRA = Just riding along.

Ie. I was just riding along when allof a sudden X...

Chances are its not prone to do that if you don't crash. But crashes happen and specialized seems to take care of its customers pretty well. i Coudln't see this happening by just riding along, probably one of the factors (or combination you mentioned). Its odd how you didn't hear it hitting the spokes if it did break on the trail. I would think you would notice something like that.. not to mention the shifting would be messed up severely..

I personally don't see how the eyelet got so bent backwards ? It almost seems you'd have to not have a wheel in there to bend it that far. And your qucik release don't show any signs of damage ? not sure if its bad angle or not though.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats the thing, I laid the bike out halfway through the loop, rode a good 3-5 miles more. Put the bike in the truck and we drove to another spot to tinker around. I get on my bike to catch up to my friend whose already riding up ahead and i hear a clicking. I look down and see that my derailleur is hitting the spokes.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
thesacrifice said:
thats the thing, I laid the bike out halfway through the loop, rode a good 3-5 miles more. Put the bike in the truck and we drove to another spot to tinker around. I get on my bike to catch up to my friend whose already riding up ahead and i hear a clicking. I look down and see that my derailleur is hitting the spokes.
Please explain "put the bike in the back of the truck". Exactly how did you put it in there? What else was in the back of the truck? Regardless of what happened, derailleur hangers don't "just break" causing all the damage you described and showed. This is a simple case of rider error or mishap. Either way Specialized is not at fault and you should not be blaming or questioning anyone else except yourself. Simple truth of the matter is it's....YOUR BAD!! Sorry.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
thesacrifice said:

RIDER ERROR or MISHAP!!! It's either or, regardless of whether you can explain it. If it didn't happen during the crash as you clearly state it couldn't because you rode away no problem. And it was fine when you put it in the back of the truck? But it was messed up when you took it out of the truck to catch your friends, seems to me there is your answer. Something in the back of the truck caused the problem. Perhaps it was the way the bike was stored in the back of the truck?? Perhaps something slid into or fell on your bike while in the back of the truck? Maybe the bike was laying on the drive side and when you hit a bump the bike bounced up only to come crashing down cause the damage?? Maybe it was a combination of all of the above?? Or simply a random act of violence by little green men. Are you starting to see my thought pattern here?? I'm not trying to be a d!ck, bit people need to take responsability for what they do, regardless of what the outcome or how negatively it effects them personally. Thats life.

Good luck with Specialized, I'm sure they will take care of you either way. They are a great company when it comes to Customer Service, that's one of the reasons I own a Big Hit.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since ya like to go in circles...

I wasn't operating the bike outside of what its meant for, and I was curious on wether other people had experienced this before and maybe if specialized had made some kind of formal statement regarding the eyelets.

·
Registered
48 Posts
red5 said:
OH PLEASE!!! Not another JRA story. Just admit what happened. It got caught on a branch or fell on a rock or you crashed and the bike took a tumble then............viola derailleur broke along with hanger and eyelet. "Somehow"...make me f*ing laugh. :rolleyes:
Red5, I think the issue is the damaged eyelet. What is the point of having a replaceable dropout if it doesn't save your frame from damage? This is a design/manufacturing issue despite what you think. I broke one of my hanger eyelets about two weeks ago after falling into a 60 degree upslope while trackstanding on a trail. If you want to call that a "crash" then fine. I'm not going to gripe about replacing a broken hanger. I had a replacement at the time. But the eyelet damage should not happen. I've talked to plenty of shop guys who agree that it's a flawed design.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
dirtboy said:
Red5, I think the issue is the damaged eyelet. What is the point of having a replaceable dropout if it doesn't save your frame from damage? This is a design/manufacturing issue despite what you think. I broke one of my hanger eyelets about two weeks ago after falling into a 60 degree upslope while trackstanding on a trail. If you want to call that a "crash" then fine. I'm not going to gripe about replacing a broken hanger. I had a replacement at the time. But the eyelet damage should not happen. I've talked to plenty of shop guys who agree that it's a flawed design.
Really, cause I got the distinct impression he was upset about the hanger, derailleur and eyelet? Not sure how you can consider it a design/nfg issue when its' been working for years with very few issues. I'm more inclined to think that the limited number of problems is are a result of the rider not a flawed design. I have a 1/2 dozen friends with these frames and have never heard, nor seen one of them with a similiar issue.

Either way he's going to have to get it fixed. And as I stated before Spec. will take care of him, probably by giving him a new stay. Whatever!!! Personally, I think he's wrong to say it's Specializeds' fault. They designed the bike to do a certain task and it does, everything has limitations, especially little tiny alu tabs. Call it what you want, I think both of you are full of BS.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
thesacrifice said:
Since ya like to go in circles...

I wasn't operating the bike outside of what its meant for, and I was curious on wether other people had experienced this before and maybe if specialized had made some kind of formal statement regarding the eyelets.
That remains to be heard. You still haven't explained how you "put the bike in the back of the truck". I think it a fair assumption that's how it broke. Shows you care allot about your 2K investment. Take better care of your bike and you might not have people pointing out your faults on message boards. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.