Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New around here, so I have a question. Where would one start if they wanted to tackle the task of building their own bike, from the frame up? I am 5'8, 245lbs(chunky, I know. Working on that), and I have a inseam of 29-30". I want a hard tail frame, as that is what I currently ride. My current ride is an old school Trek Antelope with a Manitou susp. fork. My next ride I hope to have would be a true upgrade. I know I do want disc brakes, mech or hydro is still up for debate. Any reccomendations for me?

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
In most cases, you will be spending a larger amount of money by assembling piece by piece than you would if you bought a complete bike. Just want to make sure you are aware of this fact. If you're worried about money, buy a complete and start learning how to fix things as required.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Makes sense...always better to buy more at once right? I have found the bikesdirect website, and have looked pretty strongly at the GT Avalance 2.0 Disc. Is this a good bike right off of the shelf? I have never had disc brakes, but can't help but think that they would be a good upgrade to the brakes I have on the trek currently...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.