Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me first start by saying im a wee 15 years old. That does not mean I do not maintain my bike or anything. As a matter of fact, I recently installed some disc brakes and have no trouble maintaining my bike and tuning everything. I go to my LBS about once a month for regular tuneups (need to make sure things are running smoothly) or whenver something major goes wrong. Now that I got that out of the way, ill go into what this is about...

So I live about 2 minutes from a trail, so I can get there easily and obviously fast. I got a Cateye Micro Wireless computer and a water bottle holder earlier today at REI with a gift certificate I received for christmas. So I go out to test it out on the trails (its completely out of whack by the way, but wont change) and see these two people. They had very nice bikes, a Trek and something else I couldnt recognize. I see them very far down the trail, and decide to try my hand at catching up to them. Within about 10 minutes I reached the second, slower one; of whom gave me quite a menacing look. No wonder, seeing as how a teenager just passed someone in their peak physical years. The guy in front was no different as I passed him. Eventually I reached the trailhead some ways up, and they catch up as im resting from over-exerting myself to get ahead of them. They turn around and head back before me, and they have what seem as bikes more capable of speeding downhill. Again, I give them a few minute lead and pass them shortly after I head out. I just loved it, ive always wanted some competition and this being my first taste of having somoene eat my dust, man it feels great. So I get home and guzzle down one of those Clif Shot energy gels, not bad. Recovery wasnt a PITA as usual (usually I arrive home with my legs feeling just about numb almost, have some water and say im good to go. this basically eats my muscle ive heard).

Well anyways, are there any events besides U23 that I may be able to compete in? I would love to get out there and finsih last as long as I finish, but 21-22 year olds I know can out-bike me on the long stretches. Sprinting events perhaps? Climbing? I can climb very well and in fact prefer technical parts over just easy any day as do most of you I beleive. I was looking for like a U16 or something that would be more fair, but to no avail.

So heres my setup, by the way:

Cockpit. Juicy 7s, SRAM X7 and Micro :)

The water bottle holder was a big dilemna with me. Decided to keep it after todays ride, was way more convenient than the camelback.

Sorry, I love disc brakes

Here she is before today's stuff. You'll see my rear brake was poorly routed. Fixed it now.

Thanks anyone for any input. This is really just a thread of me flaunting about beating them . Im such a competetive person. But of course this is also for anyone to give me suggestions on how to gain muscle or anything. Yes its been discussed before but, how do I find my VO2 max? Can I even at my age? Will it matter?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Getting an accurate fix on your VO2 max will be expensive, and probably not worth it at this stage, since you're new to racing.

Many races have junior categories that you'd be able to race in.

It's great that you're really competitive, but don't be too proud of yourself passing those riders. If you passed a couple people out for a casual ride and, well...it's not like you passed Lance Armstrong or anything. Now if they decided to throw down and you beat 'em, then you can crow over that.:)

·
Big ring = No chainsuck
446 Posts
Dude- Where do you live? Most races have a Jr. cat, but if they don't, try racing beginner 19-29. Most of the time, at least where I live and race, the U16 beg. racers (at least the top end guys) are actually faster than the 19-29 guys.
Just try a race, and you'll get your fill of competition.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts