Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just arrived down in San Diego, riding this weekend with Aqua and crew on ATT and Noble Canyon

We had a bite to eat, when I arrived back to the hotel, a few peeps were talking about a carbon mtb frame and bike, of course my ears pricked up.

You may well have seen this bike in that stunning publication MBA :)prft: ) Where they put all the mtb bikes in category on price etc, this was right up there next to the Jones.

ANyway, was very cool to see this bike in the flesh and handle the frame. Light, sheesh, this frame is fockin light, 2.5 pounds light.... I had a quick ride on the built up bike, weighs in at 22 pounds, it was ok to ride, hard to get any idea in 2 minutes.

The two engineers from Delta 7 Sports were very cool an approachable. They say that they have just has some tests back on the stgrength etc, say it is very strong...

Be interesting to see what and where this technology goes, they said they have sold some 25 frames thus far.

Delya 7 Sports

A few pics, sorry for the poor pics, light sucked

Attachments

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
no mud rides!

cool for those SciFi-guys looking for an Alien bike or something similar but not for me. i don't like optic-gimmicks.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I didnt get down to asking re the mud etc. The down tube is dam wide too, like way wider than when we got the first aliminium frames etc....

Indeed think it is cool, but not for me... It could well take off, but not sure... Time will tell

I just checked out the website, they say they will only build 200 in total. 25 thus far, longway to go...

I think in reality after talking to them, bikes are not where there long termm focus is, more in engineering etc.... They are here to show the technology at the Supercross in SD this weekend...

·
Registered
470 Posts
I bet dollars to donuts that the bike would be stronger and lighter if the hand-laid, incredibly expensive skeletonized tubes were replaced by cheap filament-wound carbon tube or butted aluminum of same diameter.

Seems like a gimmick to attract investors. I hope it works for them and they can develop something useful in the future.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,914 Posts
Fortunetly they're cheaper than the beryllium frames were (of which only 4 were made).

·
Registered
288 Posts
God damn that's ugly. It looks like a little kid tried to scotch tape it together.

I'm sure some collectors and people who find it interesting, with enough money, will buy one.

·
Registered
934 Posts
DeeEight said:
Fortunetly they're cheaper than the beryllium frames were (of which only 4 were made).
But I don't really see Delta 7 producing a lighter better bike than alternatives (Scott, Cannondale to just name 2).

The American frames trully were light for their day and perhaps even still now iirc.

Delta 7 is another company in need of my great off the cuff engineering advice . . .

They need to slim down the mass of their lattice work and integrate an exterior layer of HMF on the tubes for mud protection and added stiffness - put some boron in their too. Then I'll let them run the lab test numbers if they like while I have a cup of coffee and think of something else :thumbsup:

But really the Be bikes were "rad". I really wish we could see some albemet components (maybe spokes hmm). It's just so expensive.

If people want something interesting like the Delta get a Slingshot.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Beautiful bike, it gives you an idea of where we will be who knows how many year from now, when a endoscheleton like this one will not be layed but grown using nanomachines :thumbsup:

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,438 Posts
Reminds me of that line from Aliens when the Marines first enter the bug tunnels.

"Looks like some sort of secreted resin."

"Yeah - but secreted from what?"

·
TranceX Rider
948 Posts
Just thought you'd like to know, head over to clockbikes for other shots of this Arantix CF bike. Third to the last page, about five of 'em... If in case, you still don't know yet... :D

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
It's extremely ugly but I'm glad the technology exists. The frame might only weigh 2.5lbs clean, but a single ride down just about any trail would raise the weight as mud/dirt/twigs/small creatures began making a home within that web of tubes. Cable routing is pretty cool, though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't get it. If lightness is the point, my Spark with 4.5 inches of travel weighs 2 pounds less then that basket. Can you imagine what would happen to your expensive Sugoi shorts if your leg rubbed against that top tube?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts