Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here it is. Been a bit pulling all this together. Thanks to several folks for staying on me about this project, you know who you are:D

So here we have a Pug with a Lefty Max 140 TPC+, reduced to 120 for the big wheels. A Woodman 36 hole hub, laced to a Choppers US 100mm rim, offset drilled to allow for decent spoke tension, and better dish for the Lefty. A Project 321 adapter, which allows the clamp set to be swung outward, allowing proper wheel/frame alignment. The set up is preliminary fork clamps wise, I'm going to play with it to see how far forward I can get them, so's to allow the most turning radius, but the parking lot test didn't find it to be too bad even as is. My SC32 with a Marge was nice, this front end is a whole different beast:D

Attachments

·
nathan bay
172 Posts
Nice !!! Very interesting concept. Never in a zillion years would I have thought of it. I'm sure it willbe replicated in several incarnations. I'm really impresed.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Cool! A slight redirect...is the rear rim also 100mm? If so, how does tire clearance work out in the frame?

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
YOU ARE MENTAL...........:eek:

but in a very good way:thumbsup:

Looks amazing, looking foreward to the ride report.:D

·
16,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Polk said:
Cool! A slight redirect...is the rear rim also 100mm? If so, how does tire clearance work out in the frame?
Thanks all!

Glad you like it;)

Yep the rears a 100 too. Worked out fine frame clearance wise, but jusssttt.:D

·
16,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, while I have limited time on it still, I think it's a good thing.

I mean, how could it not be? :D

I roll over s et of railroad ties in our lot that tosses you around on a hardtail, and I feel like I'm on a DH rig. They just kind of go, flumph, and disappear, wow.

Overall the ride is nice. Feels much the same as my SC32 with regards to handling. The fatter front tire does add an element of stickiness to the front end, but it isn't in a bad way. It's a nice thing to have a bit more than 80mm in front too. Adds to the speed at which you can rail into things and remain unaffected:yesnod:

I do need to work on the clamp clearance a bit. Turning radius is workable, but feels kinda like a turning a triple clamp fork side to side, "knock....knock", only I just get "knock......." :D I'm thinking that a fat King base plate may deal with a chunk of it, gotta play some more......

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
[gotta play some more......[/QUOTE]

Go and PLAY MCS and have fun !

Really glad you went for it, I love eperiMENTAL stuff :thumbsup:

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
MCS, what did you eventually do re:drilling those 100mm rims? Did you end up drilling in line with the existing holes or offset the new ones somewhat toward centre? (Offset to center? :skep: That question sounds weird...only on a Pugs).

Any issues with tension or dish as discussed on the Alaska forum?
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=474795

A Pugsley is still just a twinkle in my eye, but when I get one I was thinking 80 or 100mm rims to help spread out my girth on our very changeable coastal snow.

Nice ride, BTW. Scratch that...not just nice, incredibly unique.

Ride on.

C.

·
16,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CLONG said:
MCS, what did you eventually do re:drilling those 100mm rims? Did you end up drilling in line with the existing holes
Yep, exactly what I did. Works great for the rear. Front, 100's would require some special circumstances with regards to forks....

I just ran a bead of electrical tape over the other holes, being all black, it just sort of disappears into the black hole this set up resembles. :D

Thanks, it's a fun bike, can't wait to get my purple Race Face, one more step towards total 3DV invasion:cool:

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Thanks, it's a fun bike, can't wait to get my purple Race Face, one more step towards total 3DV invasion:cool:
Getting a set of the coloured Atlas cranks? Maybe a set of those wild sunline bars too?

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

C.

·
16,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1spd1way said:
How are things going with the left-handed Pugs?
A thread from the past!:D

It's been fine. I set it up after the snow was pretty much gone, so it's primary function currently is dog runner, but once the snow flies this winter, it'll see some hard trail use.

Feels great. I liked it with the SC32, this just pushes it up another notch.....:thumbsup:

Currently, it's getting more 3DV as I find it. Still need to find a seatpost, which is proving difficult. Giant tired, purple bikes just scream for it, or perhaps that's just me;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts