Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
292 Posts
that's a lovely thought...
Even worse in real life. I'll reserve my opinions on the city, since it tangential to the OP. But aImost got nailed twice (in one week) riding my bike to work! What I do know is that living off of Jamboree was no party :D.

Glad I left, I'm pretty sure so is the second person that almost nailed me that week(which turned out to be my ex-GF...really)

Great trails though.

·
Tool
1,954 Posts
WPS = Wrong Pedal Syndrome.

WPS sufferers scare me every bit as much as drunk drivers, but they're impossible to identify prior to having a mishap.

Regardless of age, any driver having a mishap like this one should never drive again. That may seem harsh, but there should be no tolerance for such a grossly incompetent move, particularly because a person could have easily been killed and dead victims get no mulligans.

·
Registered
923 Posts
An 85 year old woman never needs to be behind the wheel, period.
Wrong. There are 25 year old air heads who shouldn't be behind a wheel and it's not uncommon to find mentally-sound, physically-fit people into their 90s. It should be based on a case by case basis.

WPS = Wrong Pedal Syndrome.

WPS sufferers scare me every bit as much as drunk drivers, but they're impossible to identify prior to having a mishap.

Regardless of age, any driver having a mishap like this one should never drive again. That may seem harsh, but there should be no tolerance for such a grossly incompetent move, particularly because a person could have easily been killed and dead victims get no mulligans.
^this

Sometimes I wonder if the 1980s unintended acceleration problem Audi 5000s had was this in reality?

·
since 4/10/2009
37,068 Posts
IMO, driver's license tests should occur at regular intervals throughout your life. every 5 or 10 yrs or so.

If you have x number of infractions or an infraction of a particular type (like driving into a building), you should need to take a driving test before getting your license back and then annually for the next 5yrs.

and given the kinds of stupid bike maneuvers I see on the road (saw a guy riding the wrong way on a busy road with narrow/zero shoulders and a 45mph speed limit today), I think that adults riding bicycles on the road should be subject to the very same education requirements.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Takeing their license away solves nothing,although I agree with the post about every driver being recertified at regular intervals. Around Las Vegas there are quite a few folks who for various reasons dont have or cant get a drivers license. Spend any amount of time around here and you see how really bad the drivers are,not just the old ones either.

·
Happy shredding :)
84 Posts
I'm willing to bet if it had been someone 20-27yo they would've gotten the book thrown at them for this, but the older crowd seems to be able to keep their license?

It's not old people bashing, it's common sense. When you start to get "that" old, your hearing, eyesight, situational awareness, etc. all start to give out. I just don't get it, if you can't drive then don't, drop the pride thing already. If I can stop myself from driving drunk because I know it's dangerous, what's stopping the "more" mature crowd from showing the same integrity?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.