Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
simple
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/news/15115/

Decker, Emmett crowned All Mountain Champs

Giant put on a show of force at the July 10-11 Downieville Classic, a popular mountain bike festival in California featuring the unofficial “All Mountain World Championship,” a two-day stage race combining a grueling 27-mile cross-country and a 17-mile downhill race.

Factory Off-Road Team riders Carl Decker and Kelli Emmett each walked away with the top prize, the All-Mountain World Championship title. Adding to the success, Rabobank-Giant rider Adam Craig finished second overall to Decker, proving his form has returned after missing the early part of the season with a knee injury.

Downieville’s All Mountain competition is seen as the ultimate measuring stick for off-road racers and their equipment. Riders must choose one bike for both events. With more than 4000 feet of climbing on day one and nearly 5500 feet of rough, technical descending on day two, success requires a truly capable all-around trail bike.

As usual, Downieville sold out its entries, and more than 600 racers lined up for Saturday’s 27-mile cross-country race. Decker, who chose the 2011 Anthem X 29er—the all-new Maestro full-suspension XC bike with 29-inch wheels—attacked early and rode off the front the entire way to set a new course record.

“I pre-rode the course and I was pretty certain I’d have a trick up my sleeve with the Anthem X 29er,” Decker said. “It’s an old-school course with one big climb for about an hour and then a rowdy descent. I was feeling good so I went hard from the start—I figured I’d need at least a three-minute advantage over Adam at the top; he was riding the Trance X Advanced SL with more travel so I knew he’d be flying on the descent.”

Decker powered to the top alone and held on to win the XC by nearly six minutes. Craig, the defending All Mountain World Champion, finished second to his Giant teammate on day one.

Carrying a comfortable lead into Sunday’s 17-mile downhill, Decker knew the riders who chose bigger bikes with more suspension would have an advantage, but he said the Anthem X 29er’s larger wheels and stable ride characteristics gave him confidence in the rough, rocky, high-speed descent. “It carves through high-speed turns better than any bike I’ve ever ridden,” he said.

Despite crashing once, Decker finished well within his margin and took the overall victory. Craig put in the third-best DH time on his Trance X Advanced SL, which put him second overall in the All-Mountain competition.

Emmett also chose the Trance X Advanced SL for the women’s All Mountain competition. Like Decker, she built up a lead with a dominant victory in the XC event, and then held her advantage in the downhill. In the end, Emmett edged out downhill stage winner Katerina Nash by 24 seconds overall.

Decker, Craig and Emmett now turn their attention to the U.S. National Mountain Bike Championships, which take place July 16-18 in Colorado.

·
more skier than biker
2,347 Posts
Dear lord why couldn't they just leave the production version in black?

production version: (Anthm X-1 29er)

Decker's Prototype in matte black (looks much better IMO):

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wish theyd come with ZTR rims not Giants own rims as well!

Anyway the chrome is kinda cool, but yeah very much love or hate. It's only one model though right(X1), the X0 and X2 should have a different lick of paint.

·
Plays with tools
4,646 Posts
funny thing is that they didn't want him to race that bike, or so the little birdie told me. They were entertaining some jurnos with another bike they were getting ready to launch and wanted the team on that bike instead.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
LMFAO!! wouldn't buy it if it didn't come in matte black?? really?
same finish can be had for a 5$ can of matte black, and 2$ worth of scotchbrite pads. :D
I'd ride it if it was my little frikking pony pink, I'm secure in my manhood.

about the rims, thinking maybe rebadged p35's? :ihih:
given Giant's traditionally awesome price to ride ratio I think these would have been great!

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Wont buy it because its not black ? I'm buying one even if its tittay pink . ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
As far as I know all we have is the pic, presumably leaked. I've seen people say August for more details, which fits with last years schedule too.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I like the black too. Maybe they'll sell an expensive Carl Decker edition with XTR cranks. The frame size pictured is large but look at the wheelbase, it almost looks like a medium size. The maestro suspension creates the appearance of a really low bottom bracket but how high is it really? Looks like an ideal frame for skinny non-huck'n XC riders.

Anyone know what Decker's inseam size is? Easy to find his height online: 6'

https://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2010/04/17/1271466828532-11mms93kqfwqk-798-75.jpg

·
Registered
760 Posts
Independent of the color :) no doubt its a fantastic bike. Giants are hard to beat for price to content. Will be interesting to see just how many convert to 29er's for racing in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Leaked $hite, Giant know how many people are waiting on a 29er maestro bike and are just fueling the fires "leaking" images. With how interest is going they'll do with it like they have with a lot of their other maestro bikes in 1st year and be sold out by May latest. Curious to see what packages they offer at what price points and what frame only will run. Whatever they do, they've had the maestro platform now for 5 years and it's perfected.
iscarrr said:
As far as I know all we have is the pic, presumably leaked. I've seen people say August for more details, which fits with last years schedule too.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Giant has been putting out some great bikes lately. I never really considered them as a brand but after riding a couple recently I must say they're stepping it up.

·
Cars Are Evil
1,125 Posts
Let's hope the forks can have their travel increased from the likely stock 100mm.

And hopefully the frame can handle some abuse.

A lot of folks around here ride Reigns, but I really want to stay 29 when I go FS this fall.

·
simple
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Vermont29er said:
Let's hope the forks can have their travel increased from the likely stock 100mm.

And hopefully the frame can handle some abuse.

A lot of folks around here ride Reigns, but I really want to stay 29 when I go FS this fall.
You think you can abuse it more than Carl Decker? Need more than 100mm travel? Go aftermarket.

100mm front and rear is perfect on this bike.

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
I agree :thumbsup: Let Giant know too.

By the way, Carl raced on the ZTR Race 29er rims. Not exactly recommend for most people at Downieville, but glad to see him succeed with such a light setup.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts