Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I gotta do it. My Blindside will be here tomorrow and it's coming with a DHX 5 coil and 600# spring. I'm 210# and I'm hoping this spring will be hefty enough. Aside from that can anyone offer some advice on where to start with the settings on the fox?

·
Registered
152 Posts
600lb spring will probably be just about right for you. Right now I'm 210lbs and have a 550 on my CCDB and it sags a bit too low and was thinking about stepping up to 600lb. Remember though the BS has a fairly low BB to start with so you might consider getting 165mm cranks.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep my 170mm profiles have hit a few times already. I'll have to start looking for some 165s.

The 600# spring has been working very well for me. I'm running 0 propedal, 150psi in the boost chamber and a little more than halfway down on the bottom out. Those setting are working well so far.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'm lighter than you (~170 with gear) running a 450lb spring and I have been messing with the shock a bit. I started with 170psi in the boost chamber because that's what it came at. Even with no propedal, it felt harsh on small stuff. I dropped it all the way down to 130psi which is pretty minimal and now I can use about 3 clicks. However, now I find it bottoms out hard occasionally, so I'm starting to dial up the bottom out. I may also bump the pressure up to 140psi and see how that feels because I run 2 rings and currently at 15 clicks it's still pretty soft when I have to stand and climb.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
dogonfr said:
Track down HAB, Hardtails Are Better he has a BR but spent some time with the DHX5.0 dialing it in. He should have some good input for you. :cornut:

Hardtails Are Better
hehehe... I'm going through quite a progression with the shocks on that bike. First the DHX, then a Roco TST, and I'll be turning that TST into a WC in the next couple of days.

On my BR, I found that running minimal boost pressure and low PP was needed to keep the shof from feeling harsh over choppy, repeated bumps. Your milage may vary on the BS.

One thing I figured out that should be helpful is a progression for the different settings. They're not entirely independant, so as you change one setting, you'll need to mess with the others.

-Start with sag. Get that nailed down first. Set it with the PP knob all the way open, or at least close.
-Then set the rebound. My experience was that the rebound was really finicky, and even small changes in the spring preload dramatically changed how the rebound felt.
-Boost pressure next. Get it dialed so that the bike feels smooth over choppy hits.
-Then tweak the PP to get the pedaling/ small bump/ braking feedback performance you're looking for.
-Once you have all that sorted, get the BO knob set where you want it. The BO knob works by varing the boost chamber volume, so when you change the BO knob setting, you'll need to change the boost pressure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.