Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking at a new Ogre the other day. While it's a nice bike $1,700 seems on the high side for mechanical discss, Deore and a rigid fork. Am I missing something? The Jones bar is nice but that's a steep price for what you're getting.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yes, I think Surly's are aimed for the guys who have bins full of parts, as evidenced by their design to be able to be built and rebuilt in different ways. It seems to me that their offering of complete bikes seems to be just a courtesy or a way to build credibility, ie "yes, you can actually buy one, it isn't just a frame selling scam that secretly results in poor bikes."

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately my parts bin I all road bike parts with some vintage parts for good luck. Not enough to build an Ogre.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My LBS (Columbus, OH, I think not too far from you) has a few Ogres marked down to $1200 and change. That seems like a more reasonable price.

These are the first year green ones.
I saw some 2013s right after I posted for around $1399. Hopefully they'll budge a little more. Still for $1,700 on a 2014 there should be a suspension fork on it. And a decent one for that price.

·
Registered
875 Posts
CS2 - I completely agree and noticed the same thing the last couple years. My LHT was a "complete" with nice spec of Sugino and XT parts for less than $900. Newer LHTs come with lower spec and much higher price. :???: I know some of that is inflation, but come on. Frame prices are slipping higher and higher too. Surly bikes used to be really good values. So much for "Single Speed Stuff Cheap".

BTW, you can build up an Ogre with vintage parts (are 1 1/8 headsets "vintage" yet:confused:), which is its best feature. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
CS2 - I completely agree and noticed the same thing the last couple years. My LHT was a "complete" with nice spec of Sugino and XT parts for less than $900. Newer LHTs come with lower spec and much higher price. :???: I know some of that is inflation, but come on. Frame prices are slipping higher and higher too. Surly bikes used to be really good values. So much for "Single Speed Stuff Cheap".

BTW, you can build up an Ogre with vintage parts (are 1 1/8 headsets "vintage" yet:confused:), which is its best feature. :thumbsup:
Don't know too much about Ogre builds. I've got a Pacer that is so standard it's amazing. I'm debating on a 9 sp Campy or maybe a 7 sp Shimano. My parts stash has ZERO disc brake parts in it. So, new is the way to go for a 29er.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I recommend buying a frame and cruising ebay/craigslist to find components if you're on a budget and able to do the wrench work yourself. I've bought 3 Surlys now (LHT, Monkey, and Pacer.) The 1st I bought complete and eneded up completely rebuilding and the other 2 I built up from the frame. I didn't save any money on the two I built up from the frame vs buying a complete bike, but the components are way better and everything is set up just how I like it.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I recommend buying a frame and cruising ebay/craigslist to find components if you're on a budget and able to do the wrench work yourself. I've bought 3 Surlys now (LHT, Monkey, and Pacer.) The 1st I bought complete and eneded up completely rebuilding and the other 2 I built up from the frame. I didn't save any money on the two I built up from the frame vs buying a complete bike, but the components are way better and everything is set up just how I like it.
Surly makes it easy to build it from a frame. They don't use any crazy proprietary sizing or standards on the BB or headset. Well I will have to look on CL and ebay now.

·
Registered
875 Posts
My parts stash has ZERO disc brake parts in it. So, new is the way to go for a 29er.
Well that's just it. Ogre has canti mounts, so you don't need discs. I think its about the only 29er frame that still has provisions for rim brakes. Of course, if you want discs, that's a different issue.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update, I actually have a line on a very clean used Ogre. Any suggestions on price for a 2012 with almost no miles? They were under $1,500 new.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.