Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Hightower and just picked up a DPX2 to replace the garbage Monarch. It got me thinking about swapping the Pike out as well. Currently setup with an MRP ramp control and a 150mm Debonair spring. I actually prefer the bike with the 150vs140 and the 160mm Fox 36 is only 5mm longer crown to axle. Just curious who has run their hightower with a similar setup. Would it make sense to run the flip chip in high for trail rides and low for more downhill and park oriented rides? I have used the search function but these threads have thousand of posts and it gets jumbled.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think it’s honestly just a matter of preference, lots of people on the forums run 160 and love it. I’ve run a revelation at 140, never could get the thing to feel right, and I’ve run a 36 at 160 and 150. I like it in both setups, but with a dpx2 I preferred the 36 at 150, just felt more balanced to me. So that would be my recommendation with the dpx2 out back. I had the 160 paired with a x2 and it felt fine, definitely more a big bike feel, and felt like I could smash over anything. Then I switched to the dpx2 and again the 160 just didn’t feel right with it imo.

Currently I’m running a dhx2 with the 36 at 150, feels pretty awesome. For what it’s worth I’m 5’10 on a large OG HT, never over stroked the rear.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am happy that is the first response. I really don't want to smash and plow. The goal is really to get a more playful setup. From all accounts the DPX2 should help out a lot. The fork actually feels decent but I'm wondering if it will reach it's limit once I have a more capable rear shock. I would hate to drop $600-1000 on a fork just to realize the Pike was doing OK.

The current setup works ok on my local techy Massachusetts single track but the rear was junk at Highland Mountain Bike Park. I guess I will get the rear dialed and see how it goes from there!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a lyrik on my OGHT and when I got the fork it came as a 160. I ran it for a while but it really slackened out the STA when tech climbing was impacted.

I swapped in a 150 air spring and it's much better now, I didn't notice a decrease in descending performance, but I did notice it climbs a lot better.

·
No Clue Crew
7,593 Posts
Before I got the new Hightower, I had an original HT with X2 and a 160 Pike with Push ACS3. i liked it at 160. I think it was better all-around at 150, though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The trails near me are rugged. Lots of roots, rocks, etc... Pedal strikes were an issue in 27+ that pushed me to 170 cranks and eventually 160mm fork. This finally solve my pedal strike issue (my BB was almost a full cm lower than SC advertises - when I contacted them, they basically said 'meh' and that was it).

With the 160 climbing required I move further up on the saddle, but everywhere else for me, it is better - even flat-ish trails.

The best part tho - the air spring is $42. So you can go from 150 to 160 for beer money. My shop did the swap for me in about 30 minutes. If I ever commit to a full 29 setup, I would probably go back to 150. But 27+ is just enough difference to need the add BB height.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.