Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the consensus on this rim? How is the quality? Also, what is the offset, is it the same as the Large Marge? I am thinking of building up some wider wheels to replace my Large Marge wheels for my pug.
I have read that the 80mm wide rims help get the outer lugs of the endo to bite more. Getting more lateral traction is my biggest reason for looking at wider rims.

·
Bike Fiend
146 Posts
The catalog doesn't list the amount of offset, but according to Q the offset version of the Fat Sheba is designed for Pugsley builds.

Personally I'm hoping someone will come out with a better tire.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw that it was called out as being for the pug, but they may not have matched the same offset. The LM offset was perfect to build a dishless wheel on an XT hub.

I am hoping for a better tire as well, but am hoping to upgrade to wider rims as a bandaid for now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Coming soon....

We talked to the guys at Surly at Frost Bike last February, and they said they would have a folding Endomorph ready for Interbike. The side walls will be reinforced for better durability as well. They also dropped a hint that they would have "something special" for the Pugs at the show. When pressed for details, all we got was a cryptic "It'll fit on a Pugs". I think we'll have more information by the end of Interbike.

In regards to the Fat Sheba rim, we have built a number of wheelsets with these rims. Quality is as expected for a singlewall rim this wide. A Mavic Open Pro it is not, but it was never intended to be either. The rim is thick; the spoke bed thicker. With aggressive drilling, weight can be reduced substantially.

The offset does indeed work perfectly with the Pugs, though we were building them for our aluminum 907.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info bflemin. What type of hole pattern did you do for you drilling and how much weight did you save?

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
I have a set of Bill's rims.....

tedsti said:
Thanks for the info bflemin. What type of hole pattern did you do for you drilling and how much weight did you save?
The Graceful Fats are drilled with 1.5 inch holes.... dead center in-between spoke holes. To clarify, mine are not OSB rims. Also, the rims measure 82mm wide.... not 80 mm as advertised.

This is an agressive pattern, but should hold up to winter conditions. Not too sure about 4-season use (or summer use).... will need to ride them at least a year to see if they hold up.

Stock rim = 1200 grams
Drilled rim = 940 grams
Delta = 260 grams = 9.2 oz = 0.57 lbs :eekster:

View here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=548452

The weight savings is quite meaningful.

Regards,

EndUser

1 - 6 of 6 Posts