Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone ...

I just started reading about offset bushing and angled headsets.. Has anyone used or tied these ?

I understand the concept... But it would be nice to hear"real world" experiances.

I'm riding a 2018 SB5, so any input will be appreciated !!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Had one offset on my SB6 to lower the BB (5mm) and open the head tube angle (0.5 degree) ... makes a instant difference in corners!

However you need to push the saddle a little bit more forward and put a bit more angle on the front, just to compensate from that change!

I would not add 2 offsets unless the bike has a very old geo. That’s not your case. 1 is fine and you feel it already!

It’s a cheap "tweak", easy to install and/or remove if needed so you don’t take much risk.

Have fun!

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I prefer anglesets because they also increase the STA for better climbing whereas offset bushings will lower the STA and you'll have to move the saddle way forward to compensate, as digev stated. I've done 2 bikes with anglesets and both were a huge success. My Bronson garnered a lot of attention in the SC forum (-1 deg Works as I recall) and then the Bronson 2 came out with very similar numbers... go figure.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,098 Posts
I made offset bushings and put a longer shock with more stroke on my SB6. I can't recall anymore what the travel difference is but the bike, when sagged, had the same BB height as stock. IIRC, each bushing has a 2mm offset and the shock and stroke length increased by 1/4" (6.35mm). I've been running a 170 fork on it as well which slackened the HTA slightly. I build bikes for a living and this is my favorite bike for the trails I regularly ride.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I made offset bushings and put a longer shock with more stroke on my SB6. I can't recall anymore what the travel difference is but the bike, when sagged, had the same BB height as stock. IIRC, each bushing has a 2mm offset and the shock and stroke length increased by 1/4" (6.35mm). I've been running a 170 fork on it as well which slackened the HTA slightly. I build bikes for a living and this is my favorite bike for the trails I regularly ride.
Nice one!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.