Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1081 - 1098 of 1098 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Unless these are highly sought after, which I find no indication they are, although I don't follow diamonback sales at all so I may be wrong on that, I would think more than $300 or so would be tough to get these days. You could compare it to something like Bontrager ti vs. race lite, the ti frames can still go for $1000 and the racelite's now go for $150 - $200 on a good day. But the components on this aren't going to make it worth a ton, so you're completely relying on how much desire there is to own this frame.
That’s fair, appreciate the input. I suppose it’s like anything else; value is what someone is willing to pay for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory Suspension XTR (Team Race Bike) – Medium - All Original

I can't seem to revive my old account that goes all the way back to 1999 here on mtbr.com, where I originally purchased this bike.

I bought this bike new in 2000 from the leftover unused Schwinn Factory Racing teams bike 1999 stable. It is the top spec (All XTR) version, built and setup by the racing team mechanics.

All original parts are intact except for the grips which were getting a bit sticky.

The bike is still completely rideable. The front Rock Shox Sid still holds pressure and provides great dampening and the rear Rock Shox Coupe Deluxe moves smoothly.

I still have the original MTR Racing Raptor tires the bike came with and I remounted them for the original look.

I have ridden this bike on and off for the last 20 years. It has always been well maintained and never ridden harder than light XC.

The front shifter levers will only engage the bottom and middle gear, it isn’t a problem with the derailleur. I haven’t spent much time figure out why as I rarely find myself wanting the top gears these days.

I have an original pivot replacement kit still in the package. I was told that part wore out fast, but I have never felt it had enough play to need to be replaced.

I will also throw in the original Time ATAC pedals that were on it for most of its life.
If you happen to be a size 10 you can have the vintage Shimano shoes that with the mounted clip ins.

I am not sure what this bike is worth, and there aren’t many examples for comparison.

I was planning to ask $800 based on the few similar examples I have found sold recently, but please let me know if you think I am way off the mark.

Spec Sheet:
Color: Bass Boat Blue / Polished
Size: Medium (17)
Fork: Rock Shox Sid XC SL
Rear Shock: Rock Shox Coupe Deluxe – Coil Over
Headset: Chris King
Crankset: Shimano XTR
F. Derailleur: Shimano XTR
R. Rerailleur: Shimano XTR
Shifters: Shimano XTR
Freewheel: Shimano XTR
Pedals: Time ATAC (unmounted)
Brakes: Shimano XTR V-Brakes
Handlebar: Syncros Riser
Stem: Titec Enduro
Hubs: Shimano XTR
Rims: Mavic X 517
Spokes: DT Revolution 15/17G
Tire: WTB Racing Raptors
Saddle: Giro Fizik Titanium Rails
Seatpost: Titec Titanium Micro Adjustable

Extras:
OEM Full pivot replacement kit.
Shock Air Pump
Mountable Presta Valve Air Pump – Schwinn Branded from 2000
Original Chain Guard
Schwinn Homegrown Stickers

PXL_20200927_180428859.jpg

·
He be a moose too.
2,161 Posts
near new..
Based on the picture, at least as far as my old, failing eyes can see, it looks pretty beat up and no longer has the decals. So, you might want to provide better pictures and tell us what type of fork it has.

But based on what I can see, a beat up Comp_lite with a few random parts, might get you $150

·
42 Posts
Vintage Breezer Storm

I've got a Breezer Storm that I bought new in 1995. It was dead stock at the time and probably a '92 or 94 model year. It's currently built up as a single speed.

I'd like to free up some space and since this comes from such a legend in MTB, I figured that I might find someone here who would value it as much as I have.
I have the same bike, bought it from a relative about 5 years ago for 500$. Not sure that's market price, I probably overpaid a bit, but that was my dream bike back in '91 and I bought it for nostalgia's sake. The Storm was the lowest spec model of that range iirc, and you don't see these on eBay or other trading sites that often. The better specced Breezer Thunder was likely more popular.

To get a good price you'd probably need to revert it to stock condition. An alternative option would be to convert this into a 650b gravel bike – the steel frame rugged and pretty compliant, and would make a solid basis for a gravel/commuter. I've seen frames from that time converted to the larger wheels, using v-brakes instead of cantilever, and running 1.5in tyres, and drop bars (hard to find v-brake compatible brake levers), or curved touring bars. This is what I might end up doing to my bike next year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello there MTBR community! I was hoping you guys here can identify and appraise this hand me down full suspension bike my uncle gave me. From what I can see with the stickers and the little knowledge I have with bikes it shows a GT Rebound sticker frame, a Shimano STX sticker on the crank and rear derailleur, Shimano FD-30 engraved on the front derailleur, Shimano STX Parallax HB-30 on the front hub, Shimano ST-MC38 on the brake and combo shifter, RST 20A sticker on the rear suspension, and MAInmast shok fork sticker on the fork. I was thinking of upgrading some parts here but I do not know whether or not it would be compatible with the newer ones in the market.

Here is a photo of the said MTB.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
That bike doesn't look like any GT I remember. It looks either a Trek "Y " bike or something from a department store. You can look up. some bikes on the manufacturer's web sites. Also bikepedia or the vintage forum here.

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk

·
Bikes in jeans
2,318 Posts
Hello there MTBR community! I was hoping you guys here can identify and appraise this hand me down full suspension bike my uncle gave me. From what I can see with the stickers and the little knowledge I have with bikes it shows a GT Rebound sticker frame, a Shimano STX sticker on the crank and rear derailleur, Shimano FD-30 engraved on the front derailleur, Shimano STX Parallax HB-30 on the front hub, Shimano ST-MC38 on the brake and combo shifter, RST 20A sticker on the rear suspension, and MAInmast shok fork sticker on the fork. I was thinking of upgrading some parts here but I do not know whether or not it would be compatible with the newer ones in the market.

Here is a photo of the said MTB. View attachment 1908612
It's not a GT rebound, I'm sure of that.

The rear shock mount looks like what was often seen on department store and promo bikes, like Jeep, in the late 90's and the completely inappropriate low travel dual crown fork would suggest the same. It could be a mainstream brand, but it's not one I can think of especially with that fork.

In any case, I don't think there's much value to it except what it's worth to you to ride. Older 26in bikes aren't getting much love these days in general, but boat anchor full suspension ones are especially depressed right now and those are the ones from mainstream brands. You're basically looking at whatever you can get for the parts, which are low end, if you were to sell it, there's very little value in the frame and fork IMO.

As far as upgradeability, it's hard to say without seeing it closer. Much of this could be upgraded, but even dropping $100 into the bike is likely more than the bike is worth. Also, a lot of these bikes used weird proprietary components or ones not made to be replaced, so you may not know unless you tear it down. If the cassette is 8 speed, you could likely upgrade if you really wanted to. I personally wouldn't put any money into it, if you do ride it and something wears out, sure replace it, but going to a modern drivetrain on this, while likely possible, isn't worth the money IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's not a GT rebound, I'm sure of that.

The rear shock mount looks like what was often seen on department store and promo bikes, like Jeep, in the late 90's and the completely inappropriate low travel dual crown fork would suggest the same. It could be a mainstream brand, but it's not one I can think of especially with that fork.

In any case, I don't think there's much value to it except what it's worth to you to ride. Older 26in bikes aren't getting much love these days in general, but boat anchor full suspension ones are especially depressed right now and those are the ones from mainstream brands. You're basically looking at whatever you can get for the parts, which are low end, if you were to sell it, there's very little value in the frame and fork IMO.

As far as upgradeability, it's hard to say without seeing it closer. Much of this could be upgraded, but even dropping $100 into the bike is likely more than the bike is worth. Also, a lot of these bikes used weird proprietary components or ones not made to be replaced, so you may not know unless you tear it down. If the cassette is 8 speed, you could likely upgrade if you really wanted to. I personally wouldn't put any money into it, if you do ride it and something wears out, sure replace it, but going to a modern drivetrain on this, while likely possible, isn't worth the money IMO.
Thank you for your response. I have already changed the caliper brakes to Shimano Alivio V-brakes which I got for $25 since I desperately needed it to be upgraded. But as an upgrade would it be possible to change the frame for this bike and still use the stock fork for a while? I haven't really had any problems with the drive train and the gear shifters while I was using it for the past 3 months that I had it.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Be aware that cantilevers and v brake levers pull the cables differently, so that means the v's won't work like they should.Those parts aren't worth that much , you would be much better off starting with something different.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I didn't mention the problems with trying to find a frame that has the same specs as the frame you have, to start you need to make sure that the head tube is the same length and diameter , the same with seat tube. There are other things, but those are the most important.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I didn't mention the problems with trying to find a frame that has the same specs as the frame you have, to start you need to make sure that the head tube is the same length and diameter , the same with seat tube. There are other things, but those are the most important.

thank you so much for the assistance. i really appreciate it.

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
Is there any market for a late 90's Rock Shox Quad 21R with air cartridges in it? They actually still seem to hold air. Takes canti brakes only. Been hanging on my garage wall for years...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, this is my first post here although I've been lurking the forum reading MTBR articles and posts for the last 10 years. I need some advise on what would be the best thing to do with a bike which I've recently only realised I've inherited , the bike was dismantled and kept in a bike traveling case and its been sitting in the garage for the last 18 years untouched and forgotten about. Its a Brodie catalyst. I've been doing some searching online for this bike but there isn't much info i can gather on it as i believed it was quite rare and wasn't in production for too long as i read they were handmade by the Canadian bike builder Paul Brodie. Is this a frame worth rebuilding and keeping for the next 20 years or would i be better off buying a brand new bike rather then spending on having it restored?

I'm hoping for some good advise and this place seems to be the best place for it. Would this frame be worth restoring and brought back to life or am i better of spending my money on a new bike? I'm down if i have to spend a little money on getting it back to even better then what it was but would that even be worth it? Info I've gathered so far would be that it was probably hand built back in the 1990s to 1993 era, its probably a steel frame (which means that it could be rusted under the paint work). It also has only a rigid fork which I've made out to be something called the gatorblade and also its currently fitted with some really old school XTR and XT components which probably came with the bike when it was purchased back then..

Whatever views and advise would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
slow
6,891 Posts
If the XTR group on it is original to the bike, the bike is a 1992 or newer. It would be a cool restoration project and even more so if it has sentimental value. However, bikes have come a long way since then and if you are looking for a daily rider your money might be better spent on something a bit newer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the XTR group on it is original to the bike, the bike is a 1992 or newer. It would be a cool restoration project and even more so if it has sentimental value. However, bikes have come a long way since then and if you are looking for a daily rider your money might be better spent on something a bit newer.
Thank you... yes ,you do make sense , however, restoring it would really be super cool as well...im still on the fence, im just worried as parts for bikes these old school are not readily available here where I'm from.

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
Set of black WTB Dirt Drops. Not super vintage as they’re 31.8 but Original Dirt Drops nonetheless. Worth if I were to sell?
Thanks.

1081 - 1098 of 1098 Posts