Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 587 Posts

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1993 Titan Titanium Compe , got the frame NOS off ebay for $351US. Currently the frame is hanging in my basement. I had it put together as a bike for a few months and only used it for about 300 feet of pavement, once. I'm going to be putting it back together in the springtime to be my new Uglybike project.

1991 Alpinestars Ti Mega, got this on the mtbr classifieds back in dec 1998 for $200US for the frame and front derailleur. One of only two Ti-Mega's in Ottawa. Previously setup as a 24 speed XC bike, its now configured as a 1x8 trail/jump bike, well except for the fact its about to get a fork swap to another one of my Noleen MegaAir's. Needless to say running a 4" travel fork on a bike that was designed rigid is slackening the geometry, but at 71.5/74 originally, it can afford it. The Manitou fork that was on it previously (painted by Chris Chance) is now on my R.M. Thunderbolt, the blue topline cranks are going on my Titan Uglybike project, the Ti stem and carbon bar moved over to my R.M. Stratos, and I think I'll be using one of my Amoeba rear disc adapters to setup the back end with a disc brake (as it has clearance for a 3" wide tire otherwise).

G

·
yep, good idea now that the Merlin forum is closed ;)

wow, the first real live Ti-Mega i see, nice, i really like ECS bikes. this is my Merlin Elevator:

and my Merlin Mountain, frame nr. 213!

thats all Ti i have (for the time being...)

Carsten

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
among other brands...

I happen to be a Brooks saddle dealer... they even have a new model with Ti rails this year.
I'm just afraid it'll be more expensive than the existing models which are about $300CDN.

As to the merlins, the one model I'd like to add to my collection is their E-stay softtail with the elastomer bumper rear end.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Very nice. The KOSKI Dura-Trac is the most under-rated, unknown fork in my opinion. The suspension forks killed this one at a young age.

They came on the 89 Bridgestone MB1. Thats where I found out about them. Great fork.

Nice Ti frames! I like those Merlins!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Merlin Suspension

DeeEight said:
I happen to be a Brooks saddle dealer... they even have a new model with Ti rails this year.
I'm just afraid it'll be more expensive than the existing models which are about $300CDN.

As to the merlins, the one model I'd like to add to my collection is their E-stay softtail with the elastomer bumper rear end.
I know the series of old Merlin suspension,

take a look here........

Attachments

·
FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
363 Posts
Damn that reminds me..

anyone have that Merlin rigid fork they made a long time ago. It was triangulated and mounted to the stem to... looked awesome.

·
Registered
178 Posts
alasa said:
hello, I would change the saddle with an old Brooks!
Tell me more about those Paul (?) derailleurs, love the rasta theme. I have some rasta Paul levers, mmm....

Wanna sell?

Nice. Any better pics? :cool:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Paul derailleur

¶å©øß said:
Tell me more about those Paul (?) derailleurs, love the rasta theme. I have some rasta Paul levers, mmm....

Wanna sell?

Nice. Any better pics? :cool:
They are very light and shift good, asap I take some pix.

G

·
erkan said:
Damn that reminds me..

anyone have that Merlin rigid fork they made a long time ago. It was triangulated and mounted to the stem to... looked awesome.
i think they called it the Girder fork. dont have one but i have a pic:

mounted on an Elevator prototype/pre-production version:

the Newsboy with the suspension fork looks pretty much like a production frame. this is one of the prototypes:

Interesting that the Newsboy was developped already in 1990 (i think) but made it into production in 1995 only.

This is another of the Elevator prototypes:

and, finally, a Mountain prototype with weird chainstays:

Carsten

·
FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
363 Posts
Thanks for the pictures!!!

I remember them from the old MBA I had too :)

That girderfork bike looked awesome. Too bad theres no market for rigid forks anymore.

BTW, X-lite of UK had a titanium hardtail with a dual crown rigid titanium blade fork (I think the fork was TI also). It was in 1999 or 1998 I think, dunno if its in production now but that fork was badass in combination with the frame.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Hi Carsten,
In that last picture, those chainstays were designed by the Onza guys and patented as far as I remember correctly. I dont remember all the exact details off the top of my head but it was an attempt to allow for more clearance with the chainrings and also the tire. Seems like it should work, but looks like it could be a bit weaker, flexier, and heavier. Dont know much about it though. Im sure someone here remembers the details on this thing. If you look at that Sotello bike its got the same design.

·
Basura Blanca
1,793 Posts
Here's my '92(?) E-stay Merlin Mtn.

Topline cranks, really old Mavic rims w/ XT hubs, AC seatpost, Flite Alpes saddle, CK headset, & '99 Z2 fork. Picked it up for $500 several years ago from a guy here in LA, and changed very little except getting rid of the Mach 5 fork & swapping out the purple ano 135mm 0* Ringle stem. Serial number isn't etched sharply enough to read, & the folks at Merlin were no help in dating the frame when I asked them.
- Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
DeeEight said:
You mean this bike?

Because it's such a great ride, it's actually my regular commute - no, I don't lock it up outside; I've tried to pile on the XTR 900 parts, right down to the seat binder QR (which is very heavy though), but I'm still short of the XTR 900 series v-brakes and seatpost. Anyone know where to source 'em, if they exist?

And hey, for the truly retro look, about a year back it used to be all Ringle purple accessories: stem, seatpost, bottle cage, skewers, and seat binder bolt, but I decided that colour was best left as a memory!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
I would guess your search for M900 V brakes will be a long one because they never made em! The M900 group had cantilevers. As for the seatpost, they are around. I have a 26.8 but its not perfect. I think the M900 is excellent stuff.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
OMG my jaw is on the floor.

I had no idea there ever was an Elevated merlin
I want an E-stay merlin for my singlespeed project. In fact I was considering having a custom one made by seven.

If anyone knows of a 19" or so one available anywhere please let me know.

1 - 20 of 587 Posts