Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
861 - 880 of 890 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would love to ride one. They're just so crazy and i feel like ill bend and break it in half but it would be neay to try
Really, they just feel like a regular hardtail with slightly flexy tubing. You don't even notice the flexboard movement. What is special about the ride is the way the sling-movement kicks the bike forward. You find yourself taking familiar sections of trail much faster than normal. This is especially noticeable on flat, winding sections and up climbs. The rear wheel hooks up very well on steep climbs. The older, all-steel boom-tube series of Slingshots were the lightest. (or the ti ones, if you could ever find one) Best to look for one of those. The newer made-in-the -orient frames are needlessly heavy and overbuilt. (and hideously ugly)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hopefully in the next week and a half I will have the 3rd Slingshot I have owned (2nd MTB + 1 time trial/ tri) up and running. This will mark a bike off my list of bikes I wish I had never sold (the Zunow DiPiecce and 3Rensho Super Export may stay on the list forever due to what it would cost to replace). At least I'm able to strike off one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Restomod Complete. 1993 Slingshot MTB. Got it 3 months ago as a solid bike, not beat, but the paint was toast. Thousands of chips and surface rust in many places. Stripped it down to bare metal and built her back up the way I wanted her. Each bolt was cleaned and polished and threads chased. Paint is Ford Mustang Grabber Green (lots of prepwork and handrubbing). I ditched the OEM Answer ProForx (which were in great condition BTW) and swapped on a set of custom titanium forks built to my specs. Swapped out the Shimano trigger shifters for 8-speed GripShifts. She rides GREAT. Fast, tight and feels like a brand new bike. In fact, I think that titanium fork is the perfect match for a Slingshot. The ride is even better than my other two Slingshots (which I love)...both tri-bikes BTW.

Here's the BEFORE:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't have a Slingshot myself, (yet) but I am looking. I'll second one of the older posts in this forum about wanting to find one of the titanium or part-ti frames that were made (or at least advertised in the back of many an issue of MBA) way back in the day.

I saw my first Slingshot at the very first mountain bike race I went to, back in 1987. It was out in the suburbs of Toronto. I did my novice race and then watched the Sport's do theirs.
Then, when the Expert/Pro-am race started, (the term 'elite' wasn't in use yet) I saw this guy, he was bigger than most of the other guys in the field, (was this Mr. Stenger?) and he was on this bizarre looking thing like I'd never seen before. It had, like, three top-tubes, and no down tube?!?!!! :eekster: I thought, w.t.f.? This guy's gonna break this thing! Or maybe he already has? There was nothing like this at the time. I thought my Rock Mountain Avalanche, with it's sloping top-tube was very radical. Even Cannondale's stood out like a sore thumb back then. But the Slingshot? Crazy!

Watched this guy do an excellent race, finished somewhere in the top 3, I think. I went over and looked at his bike after the race. Asked where it was from....Michigan, same place as him.

I've wanted one of these for decades now, but I've always gotten sidetracked by other bikes that I liked.

I've had good luck finding rare things. I found 2 vintage Teledyne Titan road bikes, I used to have an ancient Merlin MTB, (with u-brake bosses) that I probably shouldn't have sold. :madman: Hell, and I'm playing guitar through an old Supro 1600 amplifier that's nearly as old as I am. (apparently the model I have is very rare)

What do you think the chances are of my finding one of those elusive titanium Slingshots? Honestly, I'd be happy with any of the cro-moly ones. I just can't stand the current Slings. They are kinda , well, fugly. Never been a fan of aluminum.

Anyways, I'm looking for an old Slingshot, smaller size. (I'm 5' 7")
Old thread I know but felt I should add to it as I've managed to reaquire my old half-titanium Slingshot.
I sold it 26 years ago and just bought it back from the same guy.

Back end was manufactured by Titus for Slingshot. I actually started with the full-Ti frame but the front boom flexed too much for me (and I was 64kg). Swapped to a chro-mo boom and all was well.
Happy to be reunited and hope you enjoy the photos.

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Land vehicle

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Crankset Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Automotive tire

Bicycle Bicycle helmet Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
This place needs an enema
17,085 Posts
Old thread I know but felt I should add to it as I've managed to reaquire my old half-titanium Slingshot.

Back end was manufactured by Titus for Slingshot. I actually started with the full-Ti frame but the front boom flexed too much for me (and I was 64kg). Swapped to a chro-mo boom and all was well.

View attachment 1976758

View attachment 1976760

View attachment 1976761

View attachment 1976762

View attachment 1976763

Purrrrrrty.

·
This place needs an enema
17,085 Posts
I swore I'd posted this here, but I just backtracked 5 pages -- to a date well before this project -- and didn't see it.

Sorry if it's a repost.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
So awesome with the big meats 🤤

Reactions: mikesee

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #876 ·

A buddy tipped me off when you posted this on FB. I joined the group just to see the bike. Glad you posted it here!
Deeply jealous of that thing! The One-Off full Ti Slingshot has been known for a while, but in all my years of searching, I've never seen another Titus made half Ti Slingshot before. Just the catalog pic (where you're getting roosted) and one of Martin Stenger on one in a race. I'd kill to find one for myself.
You just got it back, so I doubt you're gonna sell it...but uh...wanna sell it?!

·
Registered
169 Posts
You just got it back, so I doubt you're gonna sell it...but uh...wanna sell it?!
The last guy had it for 26 years, so I don't know ... maybe I'll be selling in another 26 years ¯\(ツ)

As unridable as it was, I'm wishing I still had the big fat titanium boom.
Have you ever come across a photo of the Titus made titanium front end?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #879 ·
The last guy had it for 26 years, so I don't know ... maybe I'll be selling in another 26 years ¯\(ツ)

As unridable as it was, I'm wishing I still had the big fat titanium boom.
Have you ever come across a photo of the Titus made titanium front end?
Welp…I’ll be older then, but still alive. Maybe.
Was the other guy in the photo on a Ti Sling?
Only other photo I have is (maybe) a 1/2 Ti, is a steel rear, ti boom.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Welp…I’ll be older then, but still alive. Maybe.
Was the other guy in the photo on a Ti Sling?
Only other photo I have is (maybe) a 1/2 Ti, is a steel rear, ti boom.
That photo was from an Aussie magazine shoot and the other rider was Paul Rowney.
Paul's bike was all-chromo - I was the weight weenie who had to have the titanium bike :geek:

The Titus titanium boom is quite distinctive and much bigger than the steel version - should be easy enough to spot the difference in a photo.

Here's another pic from the same shoot.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Shorts

861 - 880 of 890 Posts