·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,135 Posts
Not an old 29er with 18"+ stays...

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Is chainstay length heavily factored into whether or not a bike is a good fit? I've never honestly taken it into account when purchasing a bike. I'm also not much of a GEO geek, I like to experience different things though. I do find longer chainstays to be harder to adjust to than shorter CS.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Is chainstay length heavily factored into whether or not a bike is a good fit? I've never honestly taken it into account when purchasing a bike. I'm also not much of a GEO geek, I like to experience different things though. I do find longer chainstays to be harder to adjust to than shorter CS.
Hobbyist framebuilder here. Once you have your fit dialed and you're familiar with it, 2mm of chainstay length is easily perceptible on a hardtail. A bike designed around 15mm longer chainstays will have some distinctly different quirks that arise from the stays. Small riders will tend towards shorter stays because of compromises that come from building multiple size frames around 1 design.

Beyond that, it gets a lot more complicated. Stay length becomes a marketing tool. Chainstay length is inextricably linked to the rest of the frame geo.

I think it's interesting to note, but you can't look at the chainstay length and draw any conclusions.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
My 29er xc bike has 445mm chainstays and a Syntace Flatforce stem and I can huck it off any nipple sized bump on the trail. So something over 445 for sure. Because I hear with long chainstays, the bike isn't fun.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 29er xc bike has 445mm chainstays and a Syntace Flatforce stem and I can huck it off any nipple sized bump on the trail. So something over 445 for sure. Because I hear with long chainstays, the bike isn't fun.
evil offering has chainstay 17.1 inches. is this short enough?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
seems all chainstays, regardless of wheel size are built around the magic #17. when was any mtn.bike closer to 16 or 18?
i've got a 2001 Ventana La Bruja w/ 3 CH Sty settings starting @ 17.25 & ending @ 18. rare for sure.
i'd say that the industry considers anything shy of 17 short & any longer long.
i apologize for 0 humor

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.