Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1024 Posts

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
kokopelli said:
some more
The good ol Mongoose days. That bottom black and white picture is cool. I recognize Jimmy Donnel, Max Jones, of course Tomac, and the other two guys dont look familiar...

Those bring back some good memories. Is it just me or is racing not the same anymore?? I think its just me.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Here are some of the one's I have...
How steep is that hill??? Imagine pros pushing their bikes up a hill during a race... That looks like something that I would do.

Is that race at Skyline Park in Napa by any chance?

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
No, thats a World Cup in Europe somewhere Im pretty sure. I think St. Wendel.........Not sure though. Maybe Houffalize?

I dont think Grundig (see the number plates) was a sponsor when Napa became a world cup.

Tomac always rode up climbs that most others would walk. He was an amazing rider in every respect. He was also tested at the Olympic training center to have one of the smoothest and most efficient pedal strokes ever tested. Roadie or anybody. I dont think there will ever be anybody able to replace him or do what he did. He did so much for the sport. He was truly a phenomenon. To see him ride on a fast technical section is something that one could not forget.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and thats why i love this picture. It shows what JT was like...and what racing was like in those days.

And yes, the picture is taken during a 'Grundig-Cup' Race in Houffalize, Belgium. I'm not quite sure, but it should be from 92.

tioga even used that picture for advertising the Psycho...although JT used the Farmer Johns in that race:lol:

Koko

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Those two guys on Ritcheys next to him are two of the best XC riders ever as well. Henrik Djernis and Thomas Frischknecht. Hank won the worlds 3 years in a row I think and Frischknecht got lots of silvers and one gold. Well, two golds now. But those two guys were always some of the first to get off and run up a hill as they came from a cyclocross background. Ritchey used to really dominate in the early 90s....Those "P" series bikes won a lot of world cups. Probably more than any other bike.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Yes, thats 92 as he has the world champion colors on. Wow! Farmer Johns in 92! Never thought that happened.

He was a stud. He is a serious legend in my eyes!

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
laffeaux said:
How steep is that hill??? Imagine pros pushing their bikes up a hill during a race... That looks like something that I would do.

Is that race at Skyline Park in Napa by any chance?
I can say that I have the same pair of shoes he's wearing in that picture...and that I can push hills like that in my middle ring at a full sprint for 4 miles straight. *cough*cough* :rolleyes:

That's why it's one of my fav. pictures. Heros climb hills everyone else has to walk.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
The good ol Mongoose days. That bottom black and white picture is cool. I recognize Jimmy Donnel, Max Jones, of course Tomac, and the other two guys dont look familiar...

Those bring back some good memories. Is it just me or is racing not the same anymore?? I think its just me.
It's not just you, F-b, racing has changed. Even at the "national" level races in the '80s were low key. The factory Trek-WTB team traveled in a '67 GTO convertible, primer grey with WTB stickers on the doors and fork mounts bolted in front of the trunk lid.

Local events today feel more intense and the riders less friendly than the big events did then. Still better than most road races, though.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
No, thats a World Cup in Europe somewhere Im pretty sure. I think St. Wendel.........Not sure though. Maybe Houffalize?

I dont think Grundig (see the number plates) was a sponsor when Napa became a world cup.

Tomac always rode up climbs that most others would walk. He was an amazing rider in every respect. He was also tested at the Olympic training center to have one of the smoothest and most efficient pedal strokes ever tested. Roadie or anybody. I dont think there will ever be anybody able to replace him or do what he did. He did so much for the sport. He was truly a phenomenon. To see him ride on a fast technical section is something that one could not forget.
We had a NORBA National in Eugene OR in 1986. The course had a 1/4 mile long, steep, straight up the fall line climb. Us locals had cleaned it only twice - ever. Tomac was running a 36 x 28 low gear (no grannie) and rode it clean - in the saddle - 6 straight times - during the race. He was the only pro to do that and that included Tinker, Ned, Max, Mike Kloser, Paul Thomasberg, Joe Murray and a bunch of others.

·
Registered
276 Posts
More of the Tomes

Thanks Kokopelli! Great pictures!!!

I've got a couple of interesting Tomac inpired restore projects underway and these pics were really interesting.

Never knew that he rode the drops on the Raleigh. Thought this was limited to his Yeti season, but you learn something new every day.

Here's links to my favorite Tomac picture site currently, though this thread might soon eclipse it . . . .

http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cach...02/asp/mtb.asp+Tomac+Yeti+C-26&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Here's a tough Tomac question for the the thread . . . can anyone identify the pink sticker on the top tube of his C-26?

How about the sliver sticker just below the top tube on the seat tube?

Been trying to find the answer to both of these questions and identify the stickers . . . can anyone help me?

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Tomac Mongoose pic

By the way . . . the Tomac picture where he's in the Cowboy hat holding the goose was taken at old Peddler bike shop which I use to wrench at . . .

Here's a shout out to "The Peddler Bike Shop" in Long Branch New Jersey - one of the world's greatest bike shops. http://www.thepeddler.com/

One of the guys in the photo, Wally, now runs another great shop
http://www.bicyclehub.com

One interesting factoid - The Peddler bike shop was hired to provide mountain biking technical expertise and consulting for the first "Mountain Dew" commercials featuring mountainbikes back in the day . . . oldschool "do the dew"!

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
The drops lasted only a couple of the early World Cups in 91. For the first Norba race he was in the states and didnt have his drop bar bike as it was in Europe. He didnt want to go through all the hassle of setting one up with drops so he just raced with his flat bar. He thought the flat bars were so much nicer/faster that he never went back.

He did have a much longer and lower drop setup though than a typical WTB style set up. He was trying to imitate his 7-11 Eddy Merckx set up as closely as possible.

Regarding the stickers, the silver one is an Easton E9 sticker. The same sticker is on the Merlin made Raleigh frame....

The pink one doesnt look familiar....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@mtnwing: Can't identify the pink one myself. But he didn't race this sticker on all his C-26. Toughest thing will be getting a C-26, won't it;)

Koko

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
A handshake?

How much was that handshake worth in 1989?

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
kokopelli said:
@mtnwing: Can't identify the pink one myself. But he didn't race this sticker on all his C-26. Toughest thing will be getting a C-26, won't it;)

Koko
Tough agreed . . .. but not impossible . . . stay tuned pictures . . .

Is this one yours?

-MTNWing

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mtnwing said:
Tough agreed . . .. but not impossible . . . stay tuned pictures . . .

Is this one yours?

-MTNWing
I'd be a lucky man if that one was mine. No, that's the frame Parker sold on ebay.

Little bit off topic: Wanna see a C-26 puzzle;-)

Koko

Attachments

1 - 20 of 1024 Posts