Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
IF52 said:
The serial number is 1743. The 91 on first flight is 1101 and the 92 is 1586. Scot said likely mine is 1990, but I found those serial numbers after the fact and guess thinking about it right now mine must be 92 or later. So the decals are correct then, huh?
Well, Scot's got the little black book of frame numbers, but 1743 would seem to indicate 1993 to me if FFB's got a #1101 from '91 and a #1586 from '92. Mine is #1108 and I bought it in '91. The year of your decals would seem to match the serial number.

IF52 said:
By this point the SS was a US made frame, thought still entry level Ibis, correct?
Not necessarily. I believe the Avion marque was discontinued after the 1990 model year. In '90, they had Avion (Japanese production made), Avion SS (Sebastopol made) and Custom. In '91, there was just the SS and maybe still the custom. I wouldn't necessarily use the term "entry level" but Ibis' base model. It was possible to also get a custom SS, which is what mine is. I requested a 24" top tube on the 20" frame size, rollercam bosses on the C/S, and the brazed-on seat binder. I reamed out the bb shell and installed pressed in the bearings.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
I think Scot probably has bigger things to worry about than what some punk ass with an old SS wants to know about his frame. I was just tickled he responded at all.

Yeah, entry level was kind of a crude choice of words. Kind of sounds cheap, especially considering there was only about $100 difference between the SS and the Mojo.

So would you guess a 92/93 SS is Japanese or Sebastopol/US made? From reading the 90(?) brochure the Avian was Japanese and finished in their shop but the Avian SS was made at their shop. And the 92 brochure doesn't seem to suggest either way. Frankly it really doesn't matter much as the finish is still outstanding whether Japanese or US made.

Your SS is outstanding by the way.

·
artistic...
7,602 Posts
ssmike said:
I reamed out the bb shell and installed pressed in the bearings.
why? i thought threaded was an improvement. not necessarily?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
hollister said:
:lol:

ER, why did you get rid of it?

It was pre-SS. Looking back, it was a cool bike.

I don't know, it didn't do anything for me. Absolute tank of a bike. I probably should have given it more trail hours but at the time I was more interested in the parts on it and flipping the rest.

The wheelset and cranks for the Yeti, rear brake on the front of the Valkyrie.

·
artistic...
7,602 Posts
Rumpfy said:
It was pre-SS. Looking back, it was a cool bike.

I don't know, it didn't do anything for me. Absolute tank of a bike. I probably should have given it more trail hours but at the time I was more interested in the parts on it and flipping the rest.

The wheelset and cranks for the Yeti, rear brake on the front of the Valkyrie.

1 or 2 sizes too big for ya.

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Uncle Fester

We got this bike from the original owner in truly perfect condition. Never bought a cleaner used anything ever.

I swapped the wheels and shifters so I could have 8 speed rapid fire in place of the deore thumbies and seven speed.

I have the original wheels for sale and the brake levers and thumb-shifters went to Smurf hunter for his project.

Love to ride this bike on pavement and off. It's especially fun with the BOB trailer, which makes it about four feet longer than my Cherokee.

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
holden said:
Stem: Ibis Ti, modified-polish
Could you post a close up of the stem, pretty please? I think Ibis stems are the best looking. What's modified polish?

Incidentally, does anybody know the history behind the Ibis stem design? I seem to recall that they were originally made by Gary Helfrich at Arctos Machine, who sold the design to Ibis. Not sure where I got this info, though. Probably from the darker recesses of my mind, most likely!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm afraid to post this with the SS built as a city bike. Actually all three have a fair amount of changes from this pic (not that you can see too much). Don't worry, a Campy OR build patiently awaits.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
joeadnan said:
Could you post a close up of the stem, pretty please?
This site has some Ibis stem images:
http://www.kalimotxo.com/mtb/parts_stems_titanium_ibis.html
... I believe the owner is a member here too.

The previous owner of my Ibis stem heavily dulled the shiny finish, hence "modified polish". The flatness visually works though with the corroded Mag-21 Ti legs, otherwise it's kind of a bummer.

·
artistic...
7,602 Posts
i wonder why we can't see more ibis.. i mean check the fat chance thread and compare the sheer number of bikes.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
colker1 said:
i wonder why we can't see more ibis.. i mean check the fat chance thread and compare the sheer number of bikes.
Because Ibis owners are too busy riding their bikes to prowl internet forums. :D

·
Spin it again
220 Posts
Vintage Dropbar Ibis

Here's another one for you vintage Ibis fans, an early dropbar Ibis dating from around 1987.
  • Koski Duratrac fork
  • Specialized dropbars with LD stem
  • Modolo brake levers / Suntour Barcon shifters
  • WTB Classic Greaseguard hubs
  • IRD seatpost / Hite-Rite
  • Selle Italia Turbo Perforated saddle
  • Suntour Roller Cam rear brake
  • Deore XT crankset / Suntour XC Compe pedals
  • Phil bottom bracket
I am the original owner and have had some great times on this bike. With a little luck, I hope to be riding this one for another 22 years!

21 - 40 of 293 Posts