Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
mountain biker
47 Posts
Highland Way Closed Again, 11/16

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the county has put back the k-rail. I haven't seen it, but my brother tried this morning to go that way to the airport and found the road blocked. I will try and make it up there today and check it out. Sorry!!

·
EEP-OPP-ORK-AH-AH
520 Posts
oh well - I think I'll just get it in my head to go up from SC through Corralitos from now on and forget about Highland for awhile ...

anybody park along Ormsby or Buzzards? is it legal to park up in the woods along Buzzards?

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
timehoc said:
Someone is toying with my emotions. :madman:
Dear Heavenly Jesus, I feel the same way!

This whole "Highland is closed...", "Highland is open!", "Highland is closed again..." thing is going to give me bi-polar disorder in no time flat!

See? It's already begun! ----> :mad: :D :mad: :D :mad: :D :mad: :D

·
I'm disrespectful to dirt
479 Posts
I think of this as interesting theater: is a local elf with a tractor coming out tonight? Will the K-rails be at the bottom of the canyon tomorrow? Or are there intense legal flip-flops going on in the courts, causing the county workers to have to repeatedly come out to install, remove, install...?

In the end - its really not that big of a deal for us mountain bikers. Its not like Demo is closing or being made inaccessible. Yes, for a local having to drive it every day for their job, go the store, etc... this would really suck. But for us, there's plenty of options for us to be able to still "go play".

Park and ride the extra mile. Drive the extra 30-40 minutes of pleasant road (and stop off for the excellent marinaded meats in Corralitos). Or make you day at Demo "epic" by including the up-and-over option...

·
ROOOOOOOO
1,669 Posts
If I have to read another thread about Highland way, I'm going to throw a coffee mug through this computer screen.

Someone please sticky a post about or something.

·
479 Posts
Agreed - one "Highland Way Status" sticky thread really is needed, and all others locked (or merged into the one)

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,452 Posts
Even though the reports were that the original clearing was done so well that it likely couldn't have been a local - I suspect it was. So I guess it is only a matter of time before J is buying a new computer screen because these local elves have re-opened the road...

Should we start a poll?

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
singlespeed.org said:
Even though the reports were that the original clearing was done so well that it likely couldn't have been a local - I suspect it was. So I guess it is only a matter of time before J is buying anew computer screen because these local elves have re-opened the road...

Should we start a poll?
We need to also start a fund for J computer screen. If this keeps happening, he is going to need a lot of them for a while.

·
Registered
780 Posts
What would be the best way to get to the normal entrance from San Francisco assuming Highland is closed? I don't want to do the 40 mile ride from the other side....

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
jhruth said:
What would be the best way to get to the normal entrance from San Francisco assuming Highland is closed? I don't want to do the 40 mile ride from the other side....
Just park where Highland Hwy is closed. It's only an extra couple of miles from there.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,780 Posts
ziscwg said:
Just park where Highland Hwy is closed. It's only an extra couple of miles from there.
Yes indeed, just park before the road closure! Just find a good spot on the road where you can turn around. And ride in. It's no biggie. I did this for about three years..

If you really want to drive, here's the old route:
http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=H...447&sspn=0.062842,0.133553&ie=UTF8&z=9&om=166 66.8 mi – about 1 hour 23 mins

Here's the new route:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...10896&sspn=1.001824,2.136841&ie=UTF8&z=9&om=1
93.9 mi – about 2 hours 5 mins

Note that my end points are not exactly the same and are about 5 miles apart. That's the same road though. Highland and Buzzard Lagoon intersect. That's just something I had to do to trick Google Maps.

·
479 Posts

·
Paper or plastic?
10,093 Posts
This is entertaining. Should we starting taking bets on how long it'll take the locals to reopen the road? Apparently, somebody got some serious machinery to move those rails around!!

·
mountain biker
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only reason I started a new thread was because I felt the information might be important for those heading to Demo this weekend thinking the road is clear. Not everybody reads all the posts of every thread. I am happy to keep this thread as the place for the latest info.

I live a few miles from Demo on Eureka Canyon so I get a lot of local info.

Daryl

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Which one?

Since this is specifically a Highland Way Status thread, posts from now on should consist of only one of two words:

OPEN

or

CLOSED

:D

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
So, it's cool to park on the road by the closure as long as you don't block access!? How long is the trek to the parking lot? Thinking that it's going to become more of a training run from now on. :)

1 - 20 of 208 Posts