Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

841 - 860 of 862 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! So for now, I think I’m gonna try and run the 650b dropouts w 26” wheels and see how that feels. It sounds like the bike will still be plenty fun w a little more stability which is perfect, I think, for what I’m looking for. Another question for you if you don’t mind would be, what position would you recommend for the chips? I’m looking for a setup that’s gonna be fun all over the mountain. It’s primarily being built for the bike parks, so I don’t wanna set it up for say just jump trails, I want to be able to also have it feel good in the techy gnar gnar stuff! Neutral position maybe? Thanks again for your help!

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,424 Posts
Has anyone tried their Darkside with a 160 mm fork?:eekster:
I'm thinking of moving most of my parts over from my HD3 and it
has a Push ASC3 spring kit in it at 160 mm.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It should work. The BB is at around 13.9” with a 170mm Lyrik and the drop outs set in the middle and 27.5 tires. It should be better at climbing with the seat tube and head angles a bit steeper with the 160 fork. With the 170 fork, the head angle is at 64deg. My only concern would be the balance between the 160 front and 180 rear travel. You might wanna make the rear a little stiffer to have a balanced feel. It actually feels pretty darn good with a 170 fork. I’m so stoked about my Darkside, such a fun bike!

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,424 Posts
You can put the shock from a rune into the darkside and reduce rear travel to 164mm... is a great setup for park jump lines with a shorter travel fork.
Thanks guys for the info. I do have 8.5X2.5 air shock already and have thought about that setup but would try the 180 mm rear and 160 mm front first to see how it runs. My knee get sore so extra rear travel wouldn't be the worst thing for me!:cool:
But then again with the Rune I could swap all my Ibis parts over directly and still have 160 mm rear. Choices!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Looking at picking one up

I can either grab a 2016 used from pinkbike with a Jade, Emerald, Zee brakes, X0 7sp

or a new frame from Jenson built up with a Vivid R2C, Boxxer team, X0 10sp, and other leftovers in my garage for a little more

What are the differences in 2016 to 2018?

Also been looking at other bikes too. A new 2016 M16, another lightly used V10, and the Legend. Im not a huge jumper (yet?), just looking for a park bike to throw around and have fun, especially over tech featured and drops. From what Ive read, this bike seems like the way to go. Any other recommendations tho?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looking at picking one up

I can either grab a 2016 used from pinkbike with a Jade, Emerald, Zee brakes, X0 7sp

or a new frame from Jenson built up with a Vivid R2C, Boxxer team, X0 10sp, and other leftovers in my garage for a little more

What are the differences in 2016 to 2018?

Also been looking at other bikes too. A new 2016 M16, another lightly used V10, and the Legend. Im not a huge jumper (yet?), just looking for a park bike to throw around and have fun, especially over tech featured and drops. From what Ive read, this bike seems like the way to go. Any other recommendations tho?
nothing different except colors man... the emerald is a heavy beast, smooth AF, but the Jade is so good, that a vivid is garbage compared...the only drawback in terms of resale value would be 26 inch wheels on that used one.. cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
​Hi builttoride

Are you guys planning to add XL size? It would be cool to have Darkside with reach around 455mm or so. It wouldn't hurt if you would drop the bb height slighty, i wish it were tad lower with 27,5 wheels (i understand that remake would probably make it too low for 26 wheels).

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
I just got a Darkside and have some questions about setup. Currently it's in the neutral setting and I'd like to know what the advantages to changing this would be. I'm a pretty light rider (5'2" riding a small) so I ordered an extra light spring for the fork (Boxxer RC) and a 300lb spring for the shock (Vivid R2C). I'm running 27.5" wheels and will be using the bike for lift assisted riding at bike parks. Since I'll have the back wheel off for the shock spring change I'm just wondering if I should mess with the geometry or leave it as it is for now.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quick easy silly question for anyone here w a darkside. Does the rear shock bolt have/require a washer? Talking about the bolt holding shock in rear triangle. I noticed my frame didn’t come w one, and every other bike I’ve had (minus maybe my old scream?) has had a washer. The blow apart parts diagram in manual on website shows one, so just curious if it was missed. Not a big deal, I’ll pick one up at local hardware store, just curious to know if everyone else’s has one or not. Thanks for any responses!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here’s my 2018 Darkside Large with 170 mm Lyrik RCT3 fork and Vivid R2C shock, Raceface components and 175 dropper, Formula Cura brakes, Continental tires, Easton Heist/Nukeproof Horizon wheels, Ergon grips and saddle, Shimano drivetrain

How did you fit a dropper on the frame, where did you route the cable?

841 - 860 of 862 Posts