Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1521 - 1536 of 1536 Posts

·
Bikes in jeans
2,317 Posts
It´s a small.
Definitely a small. I have that exact frame that I rebuilt up for my mom during the shutdown here about a month ago. Still a wonderful bike, I'd ride it, small, medium, or large!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, remeasured it properly. Disappointing, but since it is comfortable, has enough seatpost depth, and handles well on the trail, I guess the size is not so important.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bontrager OR value?

My wife would like to sell her Bontrager OR mountain bike circa 1992, serial # 0630. I am trying to determine its value. Can anyone provide some insight as to what it might be worth?

Attachments

·
artistic...
7,593 Posts
My wife would like to sell her Bontrager OR mountain bike circa 1992, serial # 0630. I am trying to determine its value. Can anyone provide some insight as to what it might be worth?

That´s nice: 2 piece seatstays.

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
20201126_124633.jpg

My wifes medium Bonty Race, 92-93 vintage, my best guess based on sleeved stays, roller and TIG'd guides. It has been a geared bike, singlespeed, mudguarded commuter and now back to its best form...singlespeed.

Powder coat polished up and new decals from Gil at RetroDecals. New forks built to correct spec (419mm A-C / 38 offset and 1" threaded) by Lee Cooper and powder coated black to match.

Nitto bullmoose bar/stem combo because TIG steel! ESI grips, Control Tech Cantis with new Shimano flat bar canti brake levers which are very reminiscent of the old Deore levers. Brakes are a PITA to set up and I might need to switch pads to Kool Stop Thin Line v-pads to get the angle right.

Deore cranks running a 36t ring and an 18th sprocket at the back for perfect singlespeed tension. Hoops are Sun CR18 running on XT hubs. Halo Twin Rail tyres for all round use, she has a custom 29er hardtail for "proper" off road.

Only bad news is that the Control Tech post is seized in the frame, once my daughter approaches needing a 26" wheel (probably soon as she is on a 24" aged 6 and a half!) I'll caustic soda the hell out of it and get the frame re-powder coated :)

·
-bustin punks
692 Posts
Hope to have this little beauty in my hands shortly (who knows, perhaps the nice gentlemen selling to me is on here as well). XS, looks like an early 90s frame with the square logos and segented seat tube and Mag 20 w/Bontrager specific crown. Condition looks "very nice". Will be my first Bonty (building for my son as the 16.5" trek I was hoping to move him into is still too big):

·
Registered
361 Posts
View attachment 1383237

My wifes medium Bonty Race, 92-93 vintage, my best guess based on sleeved stays, roller and TIG'd guides. It has been a geared bike, singlespeed, mudguarded commuter and now back to its best form...singlespeed.

Powder coat polished up and new decals from Gil at RetroDecals. New forks built to correct spec (419mm A-C / 38 offset and 1" threaded) by Lee Cooper and powder coated black to match.

Nitto bullmoose bar/stem combo because TIG steel! ESI grips, Control Tech Cantis with new Shimano flat bar canti brake levers which are very reminiscent of the old Deore levers. Brakes are a PITA to set up and I might need to switch pads to Kool Stop Thin Line v-pads to get the angle right.

Deore cranks running a 36t ring and an 18th sprocket at the back for perfect singlespeed tension. Hoops are Sun CR18 running on XT hubs. Halo Twin Rail tyres for all round use, she has a custom 29er hardtail for "proper" off road.

Only bad news is that the Control Tech post is seized in the frame, once my daughter approaches needing a 26" wheel (probably soon as she is on a 24" aged 6 and a half!) I'll caustic soda the hell out of it and get the frame re-powder coated :)
How much did the fork cost?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
How much did the fork cost?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
With plain black powder coat the forks were £200GBP so less than original Bonty forks go for on Ebay!

Reactions: kenjihara

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
'Calm Down'
851 Posts
Well I take that back. Wasn't my post, but I guess it got flagged.
Still for sale if you search for it on the sfbay craigslist. Not really vintage, it's a newer Trek part. And 1 1/8" wouldn't work on a classic Bonti frame.

-jw

1521 - 1536 of 1536 Posts