Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1521 - 1540 of 1560 Posts

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel rim Wheel

My wifes medium Bonty Race, 92-93 vintage, my best guess based on sleeved stays, roller and TIG'd guides. It has been a geared bike, singlespeed, mudguarded commuter and now back to its best form...singlespeed.

Powder coat polished up and new decals from Gil at RetroDecals. New forks built to correct spec (419mm A-C / 38 offset and 1" threaded) by Lee Cooper and powder coated black to match.

Nitto bullmoose bar/stem combo because TIG steel! ESI grips, Control Tech Cantis with new Shimano flat bar canti brake levers which are very reminiscent of the old Deore levers. Brakes are a PITA to set up and I might need to switch pads to Kool Stop Thin Line v-pads to get the angle right.

Deore cranks running a 36t ring and an 18th sprocket at the back for perfect singlespeed tension. Hoops are Sun CR18 running on XT hubs. Halo Twin Rail tyres for all round use, she has a custom 29er hardtail for "proper" off road.

Only bad news is that the Control Tech post is seized in the frame, once my daughter approaches needing a 26" wheel (probably soon as she is on a 24" aged 6 and a half!) I'll caustic soda the hell out of it and get the frame re-powder coated :)

·
-bustin punks
697 Posts
Hope to have this little beauty in my hands shortly (who knows, perhaps the nice gentlemen selling to me is on here as well). XS, looks like an early 90s frame with the square logos and segented seat tube and Mag 20 w/Bontrager specific crown. Condition looks "very nice". Will be my first Bonty (building for my son as the 16.5" trek I was hoping to move him into is still too big):

·
Registered
362 Posts
View attachment 1383237

My wifes medium Bonty Race, 92-93 vintage, my best guess based on sleeved stays, roller and TIG'd guides. It has been a geared bike, singlespeed, mudguarded commuter and now back to its best form...singlespeed.

Powder coat polished up and new decals from Gil at RetroDecals. New forks built to correct spec (419mm A-C / 38 offset and 1" threaded) by Lee Cooper and powder coated black to match.

Nitto bullmoose bar/stem combo because TIG steel! ESI grips, Control Tech Cantis with new Shimano flat bar canti brake levers which are very reminiscent of the old Deore levers. Brakes are a PITA to set up and I might need to switch pads to Kool Stop Thin Line v-pads to get the angle right.

Deore cranks running a 36t ring and an 18th sprocket at the back for perfect singlespeed tension. Hoops are Sun CR18 running on XT hubs. Halo Twin Rail tyres for all round use, she has a custom 29er hardtail for "proper" off road.

Only bad news is that the Control Tech post is seized in the frame, once my daughter approaches needing a 26" wheel (probably soon as she is on a 24" aged 6 and a half!) I'll caustic soda the hell out of it and get the frame re-powder coated :)
How much did the fork cost?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
97 Privateer - bought new 01/06/98 in Las Vegas

• XTR drivetrain
  • Chris King headset
  • Raceface cranks/rings
  • Ti BB
  • Front wheel w/King hub, Bonty Valiant Ceramic hoops, DT Rev spokes (radially laced)
  • Rear wheel w/King hub, Bonty Asym Ceramic hoop, (3 cross drive side/radial non-drive rear)
  • XTR Ti 12-32 cassette
  • Raceface bar
  • Terry Fly Ti saddle
  • Magura MM85xc fork (so sad when my Marzocchi SuperFly died)
  • Stock Bonty stem and seatpost
  • ODI grips

I still have the original receipt, original owners manual, and just about every receipt for every part I've put on this bike for the past 23yrs.

Still the bike I choose to ride over any others in my stable. I still love the way this rides!

·
Bikes in jeans
2,371 Posts
97 Privateer - bought new 01/06/98 in Las Vegas

• XTR drivetrain
  • Chris King headset
  • Raceface cranks/rings
  • Ti BB
  • Front wheel w/King hub, Bonty Valiant Ceramic hoops, DT Rev spokes (radially laced)
  • Rear wheel w/King hub, Bonty Asym Ceramic hoop, (3 cross drive side/radial non-drive rear)
  • XTR Ti 12-32 cassette
  • Raceface bar
  • Terry Fly Ti saddle
  • Magura MM85xc fork (so sad when my Marzocchi SuperFly died)
  • Stock Bonty stem and seatpost
  • ODI grips

I still have the original receipt, original owners manual, and just about every receipt for every part I've put on this bike for the past 23yrs.

Still the bike I choose to ride over any others in my stable. I still love the way this rides!
Was this one of the few ones with a 1 1/8 headset, that fork is awesome, didn't think they ever made a 1in though.

1521 - 1540 of 1560 Posts