Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When: Wednesday, August 3 through Sunday, August 7 2005

Where: Tea Creek National Forest Campground, Pocahontas County, WV

What: New rides, old friends and moonshine that will strip the paint off of your bike.

Why not?

Come and see for yourself why IMBA ranked West Virginia #1 in thier 2004 report card.

(Pets and clown suits highly discouraged. I like pets, but they ain't exactly appropriate for this here event. And Capt._Phun is afraid of people in clown suits.)

There, is that better, chili? :p

·
Professional Slacker
173 Posts
Whuddaya tryin' to say ?

davis said:
....singlespeed bikes highly discouraged.
I didn't think I did that bad. As long as Bikebreath comes back to help do cleanup with me, so I'm not all alone in those WV hills, I'll manage. Somebody has to do it, right ? I am planning on bringing the SS again....but I'm also planning on being in better shape. I'm not even sure if I'll have a bike with gears. The steelman is still lying around partless, and my bank account is still on E.

·
Not sure what to type?
567 Posts
I'm there dude...

Ahh, can't wait to ride, camp, eat, and drink a little shine. :D
Hope everyone can make it back again this year.
Davis and I have talked about adding a couple new trails this time.
See you all in August.

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh boy..here it comes...

chili said:
I didn't think I did that bad. As long as Bikebreath comes back to help do cleanup with me, so I'm not all alone in those WV hills, I'll manage. Somebody has to do it, right ? I am planning on bringing the SS again....but I'm also planning on being in better shape. I'm not even sure if I'll have a bike with gears. The steelman is still lying around partless, and my bank account is still on E.
All I meant to say was the usual "leave your dog at home" thing. I actually forgot that you were riding a SS. I was just thinking that if someone was consdering which bike to bring, something with gears would probably be a better choice than a SS. A bike with more travel would probably be better than something rigid, that's all. Hey, if you want to ride a tricycle with drop bars, I could care less. Just leave the pets at home. You know I couldn't make a simple post without offending someone, somewhere, right? ;)

Let the davis-bashing continue...

·
www.justthebonnet.com
1,475 Posts
Davis doesn't want SS there cause he feels bad when someone on a SS blows buy him on his Titus :p Bring more 'shine this time and I'll bring more "NJ Salad". Should I just bring all my belongings, and just move into your new house after the shuffle???

New trails sounds good, but Redrun is a must do again!!! We'll see how the VT tackles these trails with 5 in the front and 5.7" in the back.
Can't wait!! How many days to go?????

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Capt_phun said:
Davis doesn't want SS there cause he feels bad when someone on a SS blows buy him on his Titus :p Bring more 'shine this time and I'll bring more "NJ Salad". Should I just bring all my belongings, and just move into your new house after the shuffle???

New trails sounds good, but Redrun is a must do again!!! We'll see how the VT tackles these trails with 5 in the front and 5.7" in the back.
Can't wait!! How many days to go?????
Actually, I've been blown off of the back so many times I could hardly care about that stuff. :)

We'll probably have enough folks there that know the area that we can plan multiple rides per day, and Red Run seems to be a favorite amongst the sanity-challenged types this event seems to attract so of course we'll take a jaunt down that rail-to-trail type ride. Just remember: Everybody should pack two tubes for that day. One for yourself and one to give to LowCel when he flats every 10 feet.

And mrs. davis told me about this nice young Amish girl that's looking for work as a cleaning maid, so you might have to put up with her if she's working... ;)

·
Professional Slacker
173 Posts
Oh let the Shine sink in.....And pass it with a grin...

davis said:
Let the davis-bashing continue...
Ok..since you opened it up. Nah...I was just bustin' your chops. I didn't take anything personal. But I have to agree, a lot of those trails aren't very SS friendly, but I will try and try again. However, I do think the Cap't is on the money down below though. I forgot how sensitive you are. Sorry.

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
*sniff*

chili said:
I forgot how sensitive you are. Sorry.
Nobody likes me...(sobs uncontrollably)...*sniff*....(blows nose into Slatyfork Shuffle 2005 T-shirt)....hmm, we'll earmark that one for Jason.

:D :D :D

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
davis said:
When: Wednesday, August 3 through Sunday, August 7 2005

Where: Tea Creek National Forest Campground, Pocahontas County, WV

What: New rides, old friends and moonshine that will strip the paint off of your bike.

Why not?

Come and see for yourself why IMBA ranked West Virginia #1 in thier 2004 report card.

(Pets and clown suits highly discouraged. I like pets, but they ain't exactly appropriate for this here event. And Capt._Phun is afraid of people in clown suits.)

There, is that better, chili? :p
Last time I rode in WV, I was a rank newb on a hardtail with a Rock Shox Q21R fork (more travel sideways than up-and-down). I went home black and blue with a cracked or broken tailbone. Might be nice to check it out again now that I have slightly improved skills and much better equipment. I'll pencil it in the calendar and try to keep the body in one piece until then.

I promise not to bring a clown suit.

Kathy :^)

·
Professional Slacker
173 Posts
THanks buddy..

davis said:
....hmm, we'll earmark that one for Jason.

:D :D :D
No promises, but I'm going to try to work on some additional homemade swag too. Some bike related, some not. We'll see.

·
Yummy
1,262 Posts
Any descriptions or photos of the rides/scenery? I'm thinking of going to a gathering to the east this year, as I've only been to more western places so far.

Kn.

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
K'Endo said:
Any descriptions or photos of the rides/scenery? I'm thinking of going to a gathering to the east this year, as I've only been to more western places so far.

Kn.
I think if you check the 2004 Slatyfork announcement on the side of the Passion page there's still some pics from the 2003 gathering. Or just use the search feature to dig up the 2004 pics on long buried posts. Hope this helps, if not I'll try to find those posts and and put the links in here later.

·
Not sure what to type?
567 Posts
Here's a link...

K'Endo said:

Kn.
Shuffle Pics

I've got info on the trails we'll be riding and some pics and video from the 2004 shuffle on my website. Just follow the link at the bottom of this post. Hope you can join us.

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Welp, I definately plan to attend again this year. I had a blast last year, I just can't say the same for my hub and "tubeless" system. I definately plan to make sure that the tires have some sealant in them this time. I'm also planning on weighing a lot less. :D

I've been looking forward to riding with everyone again since last year when I had to bail out early. Oh, one other thing. Who all is planning on bringing lights?

BTW, I haven't had a flat since, on the mtb anyway. I've managed to have a few on my roadie though. If anyone wants to have a class on changing tubes I'm your man!

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
crashedandburned said:
I'll be in town on the 28th, wanna do are KSF ride? Same bat time and bat place?

Count me in for the gathering also Davis! :D
Give me a call and we'll figure something out. I should be home all evening, have my cell with me all day tomorrow.

·
Not sure what to type?
567 Posts
I knew I jinks myself when I said that...

LowCel said:
hecklerboy, just wondering if you are going to have a new "never crashed" bike for this year's gathering.
I put the Heckler through it's paces this past summer and it came out shinning like a new penny and yes I crashed a few more times. I did give it a couple upgrades though (headset and bashring).

Hopefully I won't make the same mistake of saying that when I get my new road bike this spring. Looking forward to riding on the road and building my endurance. That way maybe I can keep up with everyone on the climbs.

BTW: I'll be sure to bring all my tools so I can true up you wheels again. :D

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
LOL, you did a pretty good job on trueing up a split hub. I still can't believe I rode on that thing, I can't believe I didn't break my neck.

Let me know when you get the roadie and you are ready for a ride. A couple of friends and myself are wanting to ride the scenic highway, once the snow is off of it of course.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.