Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just thought I would get this started. I'm hoping others will talk about their upgrades, problems, fixes.
Here are some pics of mine on a 10 mile trek yesterday around Lake McMurtry. Some huge rock climbs that I was not capable of.
Had some chain slippage in granny gear, but I don't know how to adjust that in the field, if anyone can help, that would be great.
Love the X-Cal.

Attachments

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just realized that I got a SRAM X-9 front derailleur instead of a Shimano Deore which is a HUGE upgrade for free. I like this bike more all the time.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel Bicycle frame

Here's the most recent picture of mine, taken June 30.

Problems? Well, the #$%^! rim strips which convert the wheels to tubeless, and SHOULD have been available before the bike was even produced, still are not available and Fisher doesn't have a realistic ETA for them either.

My front brake caliper was one of the defective ones that was replaced under shimano's recall.

My seat post collar broke...fortunately I was literally 10 feet from my car. Replaced with a more substantial looking (non bontrager) design.

The Bonty skewers would periodically loosen up for no apparent reason, even after I would really tighten them down. I replaced them with some Shimano Deore level skewers from one of my other bikes, much improved. The wheels seem stiffer too, if that makes any sense. Plus I don't feel like I have to overcrank them down to make it through a ride.

The stock seat and grips weren't particularly comfortable so I put on Oury lock ons and WTB pure v saddle.

I'm running a Rampage up front and experimenting with a Crossmark in the back right now. When I end up going tubless, if I haven't wore the tires out by then, I'll probably put the stock ACX on in the back, while keeping the Rampage up front.

Those are all fairly small niggles (except the unavailability of the rim strips) and over all I really like the bike. If you do long rides you might want to look at picking up a spare seatpost collar, they're small and fairly inexpensive. If that would have broke 15 miles away in the mountains it would have been a miserable experience for sure.

I've had mine since November and really put a lot of miles on it.

As for adjusting slipping in the granny gear, you might look at the tension adjustments near the shifter for the rear d. Chances are the cable has stretched a little and just needs the slack taken out.

My bike, which is a large, was 27.5 pounds stock-no pedals. With pedals and slime in the tubes, plus a heavier tire up front (but no reflectors, etc.) I'm guessing it weighs around 29 now, but I haven't bothered to find out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have put about 75 miles on my 08 X-Cal and had the front quick release come loose once. It happened while I was riding, could have been bad. No other problems, love the bike. Will be getting new grips. Stock ones make my hands go to sleep. Also, did have to adjust the headset once but that is expected on a new bike while breaking it in. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you all think is the first upgrade needed?
I was looking at a Brooks Professional Team Saddle, but don't really need it.
I was also one of the lucky ones with the free SRAM X-9 Front D.

I don't see any real weaknesses for me right now.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yep, mine had the free x9 front too. :) I've seen a couple though with the...what was it? plain deore, I think it was.

I'd only upgrade what breaks or lacks performance/uncomfortable for you. Tires are fun to experiment with. Well..you might want to at least pack an extra seat post collar. I go on a lot of long rides and shudder to think about having that break 15 miles from the trailhead. The bikes pretty solid as is. Have fun with your new ride!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what kind of tool do you need for the x-cal. ex 4mm hex for the seatpost, etc.

I was looking at the crank bro 17. Thanks.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I carry this park tool and a small leatherman kick:

Drawing Line art Sketch Silver Kitchen utensil

Line Metal Tool Steel Iron

I can fit them both in the leatherman's nylon case, and the allen wrenches on the park tool fit everything with an allen head on my bike. The Leatherman offers pliers and a knife, which can be very useful, especially the pliers.

Regardless of what multi-tool I chose to carry, I'd for sure have the Leatherman with me anyway, and the fact is has screwdrivers etc. is just gravy.

I have full set of allen keys in my home shop, along with other tools. If you're adjusting your seat collar very much you might want to think about getting a quick release collar.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how do I take the chain off my X-Cal. It looks like a SRAM chain. I thought you could just push the ends together (of the brass link of course), but I'm just a freaking noob.

·
How did i get here
23 Posts
BoomingSooner said:
how do I take the chain off my X-Cal. It looks like a SRAM chain. I thought you could just push the ends together (of the brass link of course), but I'm just a freaking noob.
Yea just push the links on the outside of the brass link toward each other sometimes you have to try different angles but it will come off.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
BoomingSooner said:
You have to squeeze the plates against each other the allow the link to come apart. Only then can you push the ends together.

Also, it works 100% better if the link is clean and free of dirt and gunk. Even then it might still be very tough the first time you take it apart, and you might need a small pair of pliers to help squeeze the ends together. Enough people find it difficult that Park even sells a special set of pliets just for squeezing the links, lol.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Which tool do I need for my x-cal. I accidentally bought both.

Yea, I put a bid in for 15 bucks on the alien 2 and actually won the thing, but forgot I did it. So I ended up with both tools. I have a 2008 Fisher X-Cal 29er and don't really know which one to keep. Anyone have a feeling either way?
Thank you.

ITEM # MTB-3
Rescue Tool
Tools included:

* Chain tool
* Tire levers (2)
* Phillips head screwdriver
* Straight blade screwdriver
* T25 star-shaped driver
* 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, & 8mm hex wrenches
* 8, 9, and 10mm box end wrenches
* Bottle opener
* 0.127", 0.130", & 0.136" spoke wrenches
* Pedal wrench
* Serrated knife

Weight: 12.1 ozs. (339 g)

ALiEN™ II specs:

Spoke Wrenches 15g/14g
Tire Levers Two Integrated In Body
Tool Material Hardened Steel
Tools 26 total
Torx Wrench T25
Weight 270 g / 0.60 lb
Bag Material HD Nylon With Clip
Size (L x W x H) 8.6 x 4.3 x 4.1 cm
3.4" x 1.7" x 1.6"
Screw Drivers Phillips & Flat Head
Pedal Wrench Mini (For Field Repairs)
Allen Wrenches 2-L/2.5/3/4/5/6/8/10mm
Body Engineering Grade Plastic
Bottle Opener Stainless Steel
Box Wrenches 8/9/10mm 2 each
Chain Hook Steel Wire
Chain Tool Cast Cromoly Steel
Compartments For Two Chain Pins
Knife Stainless Steel
Art No. TT2353

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone see the 09 X-Cal?
Same exact specs, same colors just a bump of $400!! My LBS was right.
Glad I bought mine already.

Such a great bike for the money.

·
Registered
874 Posts
BoomingSooner said:
Anyone see the 09 X-Cal?
Same exact specs, same colors just a bump of $400!! My LBS was right.
Glad I bought mine already.

Such a great bike for the money.
They must be changning some things on the Paragon (the color I would guess), as the 08 is still listed.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
27.5 no pedals per post #2.

Can anyone post of picture of what needs adjusting for me? I have a rear derailuer that will not go into granny gear. It will, but it won't stay there. As soon as I come off the shifter it will upshift x2. Stays in granny if I hold the trigger down...

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.