Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

121 - 140 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
How tall are you guys running large frames? I’m 5’10” and currently have a Lg Turner RFX but the TT is 24.3 and the reach is only 435 and I’m running a 40mm stem. The fit is sweet But I’m n to sure how it translates to these new bikes with steeper seat tube angles and all the geometry changes that have happened over the past 5 years. thoughts?
I"m not on a Large, but at 5'10 the Medium V2 fits me perfectly. I have been on a large and it feels too big. On most brands 5'10 is right on the border for M to L, but for Evil it's right in the middle of the Medium category and I agree with that. With some other brands I am on a Large, but not Evil.

·
Registered
307 Posts
How tall are you guys running large frames? I’m 5’10” and currently have a Lg Turner RFX but the TT is 24.3 and the reach is only 435 and I’m running a 40mm stem. The fit is sweet But I’m n to sure how it translates to these new bikes with steeper seat tube angles and all the geometry changes that have happened over the past 5 years. thoughts?
I"m not on a Large, but at 5'10 the Medium V2 fits me perfectly. I have been on a large and it feels too big. On most brands 5'10 is right on the border for M to L, but for Evil it's right in the middle of the Medium category and I agree with that. With some other brands I am on a Large, but not Evil.
I don't have an Offering but have been doing a lot of research preparing for a new bike. mrallen nailed it. Evil puts 5'10" pretty squarely in their size medium (5'8" to 6' rec). So not that you can't decide to size up, but it's less of an in-between sizing. Basically the geo on the Offering V2 is about half way between a M and L compared to industry average sizing. Also, IMO you want to focus on reach more (a standing fit measurement) and realize that your cockpit may feel differing (more upright) rather than trying to match your old ETT.
The reach on stock L is 491 with the stock 35 mm stem. I'm 6ft with fairly long arms and am running a 32 mm stem from I9 witch puts me at 488. Would comfortable with a 35, or 40.
That's not how reach works. Reach is a frame measurement that does not include the stem. 491mm is the horizontal distance from the center of the BB to the top center of the headtube. That said, by shortening the stem from the design length, you are changing the "effective reach" (not an actual term) so I get your meaning. But your bike still has a 491 reach because the frame didn't change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the additional data point...

I’m 6’2” with a zero ape index and a 34” inseam. I’m on a large V2 with a 50 mm stem and I’m very pleased with the cockpit size. I’m coming off a large Ripmo V1 and I’m digging the bit of extra room.

·
Registered
737 Posts
6' ft on a large and 35mm stem, I cant imagine going to a medium. Coming off a S4 Enduro I think the bike fits perfectly.

Keep in mind the reach shrinks when you go from LOW to X-LOW and when you go from 150mm travel to 160mm. You almost need to know your preferred reach and then figure out what configuration you will ride the bike in.

I am riding the bike in X-LOW with 160 Zeb so its literally the shortest reach you could have.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Yeah, I would think you'd be happier on the medium if you like how the RFX fits. At 5'11.5" I thought the large RFX felt pretty good, maybe a touch cramped in the cockpit when I test rode it (5-6 years ago??). Having said that, even in the medium I think you'll have an adjustment period with longer reach, steeper STA and slacker HA and longer wheelbase of the Offering. Once adjusted, you're going to love it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yeah, I would think you'd be happier on the medium if you like how the RFX fits. At 5'11.5" I thought the large RFX felt pretty good, maybe a touch cramped in the cockpit when I test rode it (5-6 years ago??). Having said that, even in the medium I think you'll have an adjustment period with longer reach, steeper STA and slacker HA and longer wheelbase of the Offering. Once adjusted, you're going to love it.
Please keep in mind that seated climbing and reach are not related in any way. I sat on a medium and it was not even in the realm for me. Steeper STA means that the Seated position is usually pretty tight. I think it also depends on your trails. If you straight line rock gardens and steeps and don't get airborne much then maybe a large would be better. If you want a more playful bike and spend your time jumping and rallying flow tracks then medium maybe. I know for me at 5'10 I would go Large with a 32mm stem. I think you would get used to the bike within 4-6 rides. The wheelbase is not huge on the large so it means the bike rides in a more playful way compared to a sentinel or a stumpy evo. My Buddy demo'd a Medium and then rode my large and said no way he gets a medium over a large. He's coming from a transition Bandit 29 medium, hes 5'11 for comparrison.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I go back and forth all the time between my RFX with a 73 deg STA/170mm fork and the Offering with a 76 deg STA/150 fork. Main adjustment for me was having to move my cleats back underfoot because my feet were going numb with the steeper seat tube. At least for me the adjustment on the bike is a 100 yds and not a couple of rides.

·
Get Down Do you
453 Posts
btw finally built up my V2 offering and WOW do I love this bike. I have only have a few rides on it due to weather but so far so good. I plan on having a full review once I can get a few weeks in the saddle. It is everything everyone claims it to be and then some. I am still faffing/fiddling with settings and trying to find that right balance and it's taking me longer than usual but I am sure I will get it dialed eventually.

I did have my 1st OTB in some 5 years at the local jump trail and I think it's because of the massive amount of pop you can get from the bike I just soared past the landing. I am looking forward to some epic days in the mountains but overall happy with a site unseen frame and build up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
btw finally built up my V2 offering and WOW do I love this bike. I have only have a few rides on it due to weather but so far so good. I plan on having a full review once I can get a few weeks in the saddle. It is everything everyone claims it to be and then some. I am still faffing/fiddling with settings and trying to find that right balance and it's taking me longer than usual but I am sure I will get it dialed eventually.

I did have my 1st OTB in some 5 years at the local jump trail and I think it's because of the massive amount of pop you can get from the bike I just soared past the landing. I am looking forward to some epic days in the mountains but overall happy with a site unseen frame and build up.

What build did you get? any custom bits? show us some pics mate!

·
Get Down Do you
453 Posts
What build did you get? any custom bits? show us some pics mate!
I need to get a pic or 2 done up. I was able to buy the frame and fork from Fanatik and then scoured the internet for parts and got some wheels laced up locally. I had to make a few sacrifices due to what was available like running a too small dropper and Running SLX Shifter and Deraileur with everything else XT but over all I am happy. Going riding this afternoon will snap a pic or 3 then.

·
Registered
295 Posts
since I got the X2 dialed this thing is so good. It's super poppy and lively and easy to maneuver. I do feel you need to go pretty fast for the suspension to feel its best. Here's a crappy photo of mine.

·
Registered
295 Posts
i'm 165, here's my X2 setup.
Air: 160 psig
LSC: 14
HSC:6
LSR:9
HSR:4

i've been moving the LSR 1 click up and down depending on how lose and dusty it gets, but so far it feels good.

I have noticed that while the delta suspension works really well, it does tend to stiffen up somewhat when on the brakes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Color me weird but I like that look. It gives the paint a layered affect because you can totally tell it's matte underneath.
I liked the matte frame, got the matte RideWrap, did a terrible job installing (failed keeping the 3mm gap, bubbles galore) but end result is I like the look too. Just don't look too close :)

The black appears darker and the gloss adds a bit of polish - almost like there is more "depth" to the finish.

Most importantly there's a nice piece of mind thinking that the frame is protected.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can we talk anglesets? I'm happy with stock but am interested in trying a slacker HA for certain trips/trails.

Going plus a degree might allow my v2 large to fit my Evoc bike bag (haven't tried the fit yet) but I'd want to ride it -1 degree.

How easy is it to swap back and forth?

Do you need to press the headset when you switch?

Can you use the same crownrace?

Thanks

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yeah, I guess the finish is not really bad. It looks good, I was just really into the matte finish. It is nice to know that the frame is protected, the film already has some marks from rocks flying up.

As for anglesets, I think you have to press the cup in and out to switch angles, something I wouldn't want to be doing on a regular basis. I originally wanted to get the bike with a -1 angleset but the dealer forgot to order it and I didn't want to wait. so far I'm super happy with it, I don't really feel like It needs it tbh. i'm running a 150mm fork

·
Robertson
1,004 Posts
Can we talk anglesets? I'm happy with stock but am interested in trying a slacker HA for certain trips/trails.

Going plus a degree might allow my v2 large to fit my Evoc bike bag (haven't tried the fit yet) but I'd want to ride it -1 degree.

How easy is it to swap back and forth?

Do you need to press the headset when you switch?

Can you use the same crownrace?

Thanks
I ran a works -1 angleset on my v3 following and fully intend to do the same with the offering (still awaiting the bike, they are saying May now) when I get it. It wasn't super hard to install but not something I would want to do on a regular basis. Pressing the cups in is pretty easy but they have to be perfectly aligned which takes some finesse. As for fork travel, torn between 150 full time vs a lightweight 140 fork for trail days and a burly 160 for park/shuttle days.

121 - 140 of 164 Posts