Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Even running a firmer compound on the back would take that feeling away. I'm sure you're running triple C. Exo or dual compound would give the bike more zip. Take it a step further and throw an aggressor or dissector out back. Something a little less blocky but still very capable. I try and tell my friends all the time that are just getting into it that I can't express enough that there's not a single component that will drastically change how your bike rides like tires do.
Why a DHF outback, I think an Aggressor, DHR2, Dissector, Forekaster suits the bike much more when talking about Maxxis. I'm not shocked it feels sluggish with that tire in the back. The 429 is probably a good bike, but the offering will say "hold my beer, and watch this" not really in the same realm although MTB YUM YUM seems to think its plenty capable.
Good thoughts guys. I'll look into a tire swap. Aggressor might be a good start. I am enjoying the corning grip that my old Ardents can't match.

DHF rear because that's what it came with. Not spec but neither were my fork or seatpost. I was stoked just to get the bike and the other changes so didn't argue about the tire.

As for the 429 question. I purposely bought an Offering and realized I wasn't buying a xc rocket. Just seeing that bike contrasted with what I was feeling made the contrast tangible. Conversely, I'm hitting drops and hucks that I've never tried before and my Offering is asking for more. That's a great feeling. I've got big plans to (try to) give it all it can handle this summer.

Also, I tweaked my body position: moved my seat forward and up a cm each and started rolling my hands forward on the bars. This put me in more of an attack position and made it easier for me to access power. That change, the ground firming up a bit, and my body just naturally adjusting meant I felt a little more forward boost when on the power this weekend.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
My frame came in a couple weeks ago and I finally got down to pick it up (my LBS is 230 miles away), and it was the wrong color.

The LBS called Evil and they’ll be glad to swap it, but the Black Out Drunk won’t be available until the end of May.

Live with the Wasabi Shadow or wait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wasabi is just fine, it‘ll grow on you! Also compliments a red Lyrik very nicely, if you’re into contrasting colours...

·
Registered
295 Posts
I also wanted wasabi and had to settle for black, it's cool. I've never had an all black frame so it's strange.

BTW, I installed a matte ride wrap and it's really glossy compared to the actual frame finish, the upside is that it cleans up super easy.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Wasabi is just fine, it‘ll grow on you! Also compliments a red Lyrik very nicely, if you’re into contrasting colours...
It already is... especially now that my seat post has arrived and I have everything I need to build it up.... it’s just that all my bits are black or lime green. Not sure how that’ll match, but I guess it’ll still ride ok, right?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
That Wasabi Shadow colour looks great! I wouldn't wait for the black, the end of May could possibly get further away even. Swap out the lime green parts when you've made up your mind about the frame.

·
Registered
737 Posts
So I now have 6 rides on the offering with a 160 Zeb in the x-low setting. I did some calcs and the HTA is right around 65 degrees. I would highly recommend this setup if you are 1. A heavier rider or 2. looking to slack the HTA a little more without the angleset. I see 0 downside for climbing and the added stiffness in the fork has been great. The wheelbase will also grow a little.

I rode Telonics in Laguna yesterday and a few other unspoken trails and the bike handled like a champ. I have hit medium doubles and felt super confident on this bike. I suck at jumping so its hard for me to really comment but the bike felt really good and smooth with lots of pop.

I really don't see any downside to running a ZEB on this bike the extra weight is not noticeable to me.

Reactions: Nicola96

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
That Wasabi Shadow colour looks great! I wouldn't wait for the black, the end of May could possibly get further away even. Swap out the lime green parts when you've made up your mind about the frame.
Any suggestions for matching bits? Red? Orange maybe?

Or DVO Blue perhaps?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Red and orange for sure but I would not rule out line green. It might even pronounce the subtle olive green in that wasabi.
Not so sure about the dvo blue though. If anything in the blue-ish direction, I could imagine turqouise to work well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Red and orange for sure but I would not rule out line green. It might even pronounce the subtle olive green in that wasabi.
Not so sure about the dvo blue though. If anything in the blue-ish direction, I could imagine turqouise to work well.
I was gonna say the same thing, I bet the lime green makes the wasabi pop. My calling is the angry dolphin color which appears mostly brown grey...until you put accessories next to it. It picks up lime green and purple, respectively, when each accessory is added...I think you’d have the same effect with the wasabi shadow.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Yeah hard to say with a colour like that without seeing the frame in person I think. I do like the blue DVO forks though, I've been thinking that might just be whats needed to brighten up my black an Fugitive.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Well, in the end, I’m hoping the black and ano lime works ok because I have a bunch invested in my custom tuned Black Lyrik Ultimate, lime One Up pedals, and my We Are One Carbon wheels with I9 Lime Hydra Hubs.

Like my wife always tells me, I’m sure the rabbits and squirrels on the trails don’t really care if my gear matches, ha ha.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Well, in the end, I’m hoping the black and ano lime works ok because I have a bunch invested in my custom tuned Black Lyrik Ultimate, lime One Up pedals, and my We Are One Carbon wheels with I9 Lime Hydra Hubs.

Like my wife always tells me, I’m sure the rabbits and squirrels on the trails don’t really care if my gear matches, ha ha.

I bet the lime green will look great! Who did the custom tuning on your Lyrik? Not many options out there for the charger damper.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i have an opportunity right now to buy a medium offering frame - i’ve never yet ridden an evil but i’m very keen to try and this purchase would be without a demo. can anyone compare the offering to say a norco optic? or a ibis mojo hd4 or hd5? i’m on a banshee titan right now and it feels like just a bit too much bike specifically in the rear end. i’d be building it up in the 30lb range if possible, most likely with a pike and a lighter wheelset and drivetrain as a do everything rig.

81 - 100 of 164 Posts