Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of this is theoretical, considering how difficult it is to find these bikes this year, BUT...if anyone has any insight between the two bikes, please share.

I've got my mind on a new bike and keep going back and forth between wanting the new wreckoning and the offering.

I live in Utah and so the trails I ride depend on the season, and it varies from smooth flow trails with lots of climbing, to chunky moab/southern utah trails with lots of climbing in the spring/fall/winter, to steep & fast DH lift assisted bike parks in the summer. throw in there some aspirations for some enduro racing. I also like to travel to ride and will head down to sedona, colorado, and up to the PNW since I have some family up there.

The bike parks/DH is my favorite type of riding, and in the summer/early fall I "only ride park". but for the rest of the year, when the parks close, I'll pedal to the top of something for worthy downhill, or if it's the season where climbing is the only option and I need to stay sane. I tend to like shorter travel/lighter bikes for this reason, because I like to have enough energy left over for the downhill once I get to the top. And I'm not a great climber in general so I need all the help I can get. I also like being able to maneuver the bike and pop as opposed to just plowing everything.

but I do like to go as fast as possible on the downs, so I usually find the far end of capability for the shorter travel bikes when things get steeper and chunkier, and often wish I had a little more travel.

So that's where I lean towards the offering, which I think I would build up with a 160 fork. or perhaps a wreckoning with a 160 fork would be better? There's the hangup.

I demo'd the offering V2 in moab, in the stock low position/150mm fork, and I loved how that behaved. it was plush for the chunky stuff, yet I could pump and climb and throw the bike around easily. I thought it was the perfect bike until the faster sections of trail with big drops, I had some harsh bottom outs. granted it was one demo ride with no chance to adjust suspension or mess with volume spacers. But I was also imagining the offering in a bike park made me wonder if I should really be considering the wreckoning.

Ideally I would have one bike to do it all, so really it comes down to compromise. In the past I've often found the "do everything bikes" are sort of a compromise on both ends. Takes more energy to climb and then still has a limit on how hard you can ride down double black trails & bike parks. So it feels like the offering is a trail bike that could handle some bike park, and the wreckoning is a park bike that could handle some trail riding.

The offering I thought was right smack in the middle in terms of capability between flow trails & climbing on one end, and bike parks on the other end.

Since I can't demo a wreckoning, I'm not sure where that bike stands in the spectrum, and if using a 160mm fork makes it a better all rounder, or if I will still suffer and be overbiked through fall/winter/spring flow trail riding.

How much of of the wreckoning DH capability can you get with an offering?

How much of the offering climbing/manuverabilty can you get with a wreckoning?

If you could only have one bike to do everything for the foreseeable future, but you could customize it however you'd like (over/under fork, coil/air shock, low/x-low flip chip, etc), which way would you go?

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,334 Posts
Your comment about only riding park during the summer/fall sounds like you might be a little undergunned if you're always on a 140mm bike.

What have you got now/been riding as your one bike that you're looking to replace with the above requirements?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a V1 Offering, and I changed it to a 160mm front fork. It turned so much more capable over the 150mm I had, which was an improvement over the 140mm it came with stock. With a 160mm fork and a push 11/6 on the rear, it is like a mini-wreckoning.

That being said, reading reviews on how good the new Wreckoning climbs (relatively) I am very interested in that. I have a one-bike for all philosophy (primarily because my wife would lose her mind) and I ride about 60% climb rides vs 40% lift/shuttle.

If it were me, I would probably just grab the more capable Wreckoning. Doesn't sound like it has as bad of a climbing penalty as one might suspect.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I‘ve had a V1 Offering for 2.5 years and a V3 Wreckoning for almost a year. If DH speed is where you get your grins, Wreckoning for sure. I find the Offering to be more playful and agile but the Wreckoning handles the chunk at speed with way more confidence. Both climb great though. Wreckoning is about 2lbs heavier with extra squish so requires a bit more effort to hop over stuff. Both running in low with -1 degrees works and 150mm 36 on the offering...compared to a stock setup with a 170mm Zeb on the Wreckoning. Make sure you spring for an 11.6 either way you go which expands the range on either bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the sound of more agile and playful, but if you didn't have your wreckoning, would you feel good enough at a bike park on the offering, with a coil and a 160mm fork?

I‘ve had a V1 Offering for 2.5 years and a V3 Wreckoning for almost a year. If DH speed is where you get your grins, Wreckoning for sure. I find the Offering to be more playful and agile but the Wreckoning handles the chunk at speed with way more confidence. Both climb great though. Wreckoning is about 2lbs heavier with extra squish so requires a bit more effort to hop over stuff. Both running in low with -1 degrees works and 150mm 36 on the offering...compared to a stock setup with a 170mm Zeb on the Wreckoning. Make sure you spring for an 11.6 either way you go which expands the range on either bike.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I like the sound of more agile and playful, but if you didn't have your wreckoning, would you feel good enough at a bike park on the offering, with a coil and a 160mm fork?
I rode my Offering for half a season at Trestle with a 150mm on the front. Was a blast and more than capable, but started to feel bad thrashing a high end trail bike build in the bike park. Most of the park is fairly tame, with mostly flow & jump trails, but there were a few times on Trestle DH where I could have used more travel to make up for lack of skill. You’d be fine with a coiled Offering.

·
Registered
16,017 Posts
If you're a devoted park rider maybe a DH bike would be a good choice? If you can't or don't want to have a dedicated DH bike then I'd say opt for the Wreckoning. I have a v.2 and it actually climbs and pedals pretty well, so I bet the v.3 would be even better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts