Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to maybe up my Lyrik ultimate to 160 from 150. The fork has a 51mm offset. Wondering if anyone has done this and what their thoughts are. I am not sure if I would need an angle headset or not.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Looking to maybe up my Lyrik ultimate to 160 from 150. The fork has a 51mm offset. Wondering if anyone has done this and what their thoughts are. I am not sure if I would need an angle headset or not.
I originally built my V1 with a 160 since I had it already while I waited for a 150. I didn't notice much of a difference when I swapped back to a 150. With 160 and an angle set you'll be at about 64.7 degree head angle and it will definitely feel different. It would change the character of the bike a lot to much more downhill oriented IMO. If that is what you are looking for, then it's a pretty easy swap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just upgraded my V1 to a 160mm. I love it. Surprised how much I noticed the 10mm, but it feels great.
Awesome to hear! I think it will be an absolute weapon esp on steeper descents. Did you change the headset at all? Evil said it was really needed with my 51mm offset fork.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Awesome to hear! I think it will be an absolute weapon esp on steeper descents. Did you change the headset at all? Evil said it was really needed with my 51mm offset fork.
No, I did not change the headset. Go read on the Offering thread and you will see a lot of guys are running a 160mm fork with 51mm offset just fine. Why do they say you need to change the headset?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I did not change the headset. Go read on the Offering thread and you will see a lot of guys are running a 160mm fork with 51mm offset just fine. Why do they say you need to change the headset?
I just wasn't sure as there is a lot of talk out there with the angle headsets. I bumped mine up last night and she looks mean!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I made a typo up top, they said an angle headset wasn’t* needed.
Did anyway switch to x-low from low when they were running 160 up front?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry, I made a typo up top, they said an angle headset wasn’t* needed.
Did anyway switch to x-low from low when they were running 160 up front?
No - not yet. I usually keep it in low for Spring Fall, then move to Extra-Low when I ride lift/shuttle in June/July/August.

I do notice it is a bit more effort on technical climbs on the 160mm, but not much.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No - not yet. I usually keep it in low for Spring Fall, then move to Extra-Low when I ride lift/shuttle in June/July/August.

I do notice it is a bit more effort on technical climbs on the 160mm, but not much.
I think it climbs great. Better than my Bronson did with 160 upfront. I don’t find it wondering or really lifting at all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think it climbs great. Better than my Bronson did with 160 upfront. I don’t find it wondering or really lifting at all.
No, I will never say it climbs bad. I agree, it climbs awesome. Only saying I noticed a little bit more leaning forward needed on technical climbs. Not complaining!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts