Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to move from a v2 bronson to a offering. Currently on a medium at 5-8' but looking at the geo for the offering the medium is a pretty big change as far as reach goes. Not sure if I should be looking at a Small or Med for the offering.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
looking to move from a v2 bronson to a offering. Currently on a medium at 5-8' but looking at the geo for the offering the medium is a pretty big change as far as reach goes. Not sure if I should be looking at a Small or Med for the offering.
I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam, and prefer a more stretched out effective toptube for seated pedaling. I'm on a medium (50mm stem, 780 bar), and would gladly trade it for a large. In my opinion, at 5'8" a medium would be perfect no matter with a 40mm stem and fine tuning with spacers and bar width.

·
Get Down Do you
425 Posts
I got to spend a bit of time on a small Offering and I can say I didn't like how it felt at all. I am 5'7" with riding shoes and have an APE index of .92 or something close to that and I felt I was too far over the bars on a small. Now this small was running 140mm up front and a 40mm stem so I am sure I could have fixed it but I was coming off of a 130/130 5010 Medium and I felt off balance. There are some on here that are my height say small all the way but for me it was off and I didn't feel comfortable. It sucks too because there was a shop that had nearly 20% off a small and I couldn't make it work. YMMV

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm your height - long legs short arms, and happy on a medium Offering v1.

The steep seat angle offsets the reach.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Bump to ask thoughts on the Following v3. I am 5'6" (and 1/2 on a good day). Evil's site has me square in the middle of the small range, so it's not even like I am on the cusp. But when I compare geo to my medium Hightower V2, I feel like the small is going to be too small. I can barely track down a frame let alone demo one. Anyone out there under 5'8" and happy on a medium Following v3?

For reference, Following V3 small: reach 440, TTL 585, stack 586
Hightower V2 medium: reach 453, TTL 594, stack 610

·
Robertson
997 Posts
Size up. I am 5'11" on a size L V3 Following and the fit is great. Remember with steeper STA that long reach isn't going to feel so long when seated

·
Registered
1 Posts
Size up. I am 5'11" on a size L V3 Following and the fit is great. Remember with steeper STA that long reach isn't going to feel so long when seated

This. Evil’s recommended sizing runs small. At 6’2” they recommend the L for me which is far too small. Maybe their BMX background coming out? :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Consider your local terrain/riding too - I'm on the east coast, and right on the 5'8"-5'9" border (ok I claim 5''9" give me a break ;-) ) and for me the Med V1 Offering feels spot on for cockpit, but I wouldn't want to go longer on wheelbase. That's for all around up/down trails, nothing too steep/fast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for the replies, everyone. I appreciate it.
Mike which size did you go with?
I'm in a similar situation that I ordered a Lg for an Offering V1 haven't gotten it , but was skeptical based on Evils recommended sizing chart. I'm 5'11 and have ridden large sizes for all my previous bikes, Hightower V1 and Yeti SB140. I can agree that the longer reach isn't an issue due to the steeper STA and slacker HTA.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I got a medium Following and glad I did.

I went 15mm shorter with the stem (35 vs 50 on my HT) and the fit is good.

I'm sure I could have been good with a small too and without sitting on one it's hard to say for sure but I'm glad I ordered the medium.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Mike, that's good to know. I may have to do the same with my large when I get it running a shorter stem, but we'll find out in March.

·
Get Down Do you
425 Posts
I got a medium Following and glad I did.

I went 15mm shorter with the stem (35 vs 50 on my HT) and the fit is good.

I'm sure I could have been good with a small too and without sitting on one it's hard to say for sure but I'm glad I ordered the medium.
Awesome, that is great to hear! let us know how you enjoy it with a full ride report later.

·
Registered
12,539 Posts
Same question. At 5’ 11.5”, I’m in no mans land on their sizing chart. Riding large frames for my last 4 bikes but makes me wonder if I should go medium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not your height but maybe this will be useful....Medium may be the way to go. I'm at the upper end of Large and this is what Evil told me :

"For our updated bikes, we do not recommend people to size up because of the longer reach and top tube length compared to our older models or other large frames out there. At 6'2 you should be more comfortable on a large frame than an XL frame. We have a few employees here at your same height with longer legs and they've been enjoying their larges."

·
Registered
665 Posts
Bump to ask thoughts on the Following v3. I am 5'6" (and 1/2 on a good day). Evil's site has me square in the middle of the small range, so it's not even like I am on the cusp. But when I compare geo to my medium Hightower V2, I feel like the small is going to be too small. I can barely track down a frame let alone demo one. Anyone out there under 5'8" and happy on a medium Following v3?

For reference, Following V3 small: reach 440, TTL 585, stack 586
Hightower V2 medium: reach 453, TTL 594, stack 610
I'm right at 5'8 maybe touch shorter and the medium with a 35mm stem feels a tad big on everything except DH. I will most likely sell my medium and go small.

·
Registered
12,539 Posts
I'm not your height but maybe this will be useful....Medium may be the way to go. I'm at the upper end of Large and this is what Evil told me :

"For our updated bikes, we do not recommend people to size up because of the longer reach and top tube length compared to our older models or other large frames out there. At 6'2 you should be more comfortable on a large frame than an XL frame. We have a few employees here at your same height with longer legs and they've been enjoying their larges."
Good to know. What type of trails do you ride most? Tight and twisty or more open with long pedal up followed by fast more open bomp down?
OTE in Hurricane has a medium demo so maybe I'll go ride that one before deciding. If I put my height as 5' 11" in the size calculator on Competitive Cyclist it recommends a medium. If I put 5'11.5" in, it bumps me up to large.

·
Registered
647 Posts

I guess it depends on who you end up talking to but besides the useful advice I got here I also talked with Evil and they pointed me more toward the medium than the small, though definitely suggested that either could work. To summarize (which isn't surprising) their ultimate factor they wanted me to consider was how I wanted the bike to ride/handle. Playful/quick or more stable.

Good news/bad news, we're having a great winter where I live and I won't really be putting it through it's paces any time soon. But I definitely do not feel like it's too big.

·
Void Ab Initio
81 Posts
I'm right at 5'8 maybe touch shorter and the medium with a 35mm stem feels a tad big on everything except DH. I will most likely sell my medium and go small.
I'm the same height and had the same experience with a medium Following V3, just a tad too big for most riding. I sold it and picked up a small Offering V2 with a 45mm stem and it feels very comfortable for trail riding.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Same question. At 5’ 11.5”, I’m in no mans land on their sizing chart. Riding large frames for my last 4 bikes but makes me wonder if I should go medium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm 5'11.5" and ride a medium V1 Offering. I've always ridden a Large on pretty much every mtn bike I've had but am quite happy with a medium, 55mm stem, 780mm bars.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts