Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a couple of weird questions about Headshoks (and what crazy things you can do to them)... the fork legs of the Fatty Ultra X fork I have on my cyclocross/commuter bike are, I suspect, not long for this world, as the dropouts are out of alignment and they aren't quite straight.

Now a Fatty Ultra X is pretty much impossible to find anywhere, but Fatty DLs aren't quite so hard to find around eBay and the like. Also, in any case I'd prefer to have a fork that has both disc tabs and mudguard eyelets, like some MTB Fatty forks have. This is leading me to think about how a 'normal' MTB style Fatty fork could be adapted to my situation.

The frameset the fork is mated to is a Cyclocross Ultra, which is intended to be used with the 25mm Fatty X fork. So, just installing an 80mm travel Fatty would fit, but it'd also mess up the frame geometry.

1/ Can the Fatty X fork's damping cartridge/bearings/etc. be taken out, and then put on the fork leg assembly of a Fatty DL? Thereby 'replacing' the suspect Fatty X forks with the Fatty DL ones?

If possible, this would seem to be an optimal solution: Fatty DL fork legs + Fatty X internals.

2/ If that's not possible, can a Fatty DL cartridge be "travel reduced" from 70/80mm to 25mm? So as not to mess up the geometry of the frame..

·
Music & Bikes
1,685 Posts
If you put an X cartridge in the DL , that would limit the the travel to the capacity of the X cartridge.

Don't know if it would fit though , never tried....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, good news on the travel front at least :) The X fork I have is great, except for the fork blades being a bit iffy.

I'm not exactly sure how much different the X fork is from the rest. I doubt they would have gone to the trouble to make a bespoke leg assembly just for the 25mm CX series forks.. (the legs certainly look like they're the same as those on the other forks)

Found some neat internal diagrams of Headshoks and Leftys here: http://www.omkmtb.co.kr/tech_cannondale.asp Also www.headshok.it has some info on parts and pieces.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,489 Posts
You cannot interchange internals. What you want to do is figure out what your axle to crown is. HTA changes about an degree slacker, per inch raised. Based on 478mm for the Super Fatty DL,, and 397.5 for a 700C Headshock, 81 mm of difference, would give you 3.18", or about a 3 degree slacker HTA. Going with a current 'cross HTA spec of 73 to 72.5 it would slack you out to more or less about what Prophet will be 69.5, 69~. So it's acceptable, but it's gonna be a whole different beast. Hmm, 29er anyone? :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, but with an 80mm fatty on the CX frame, the taller fork will have a knock-on effect on standover height, raising it to an uncomfortable level to put it one way ;)

I think I'll leave it how it is for now, and carefully monitor the amount of mis-alignment. If I notice that it increases further, I'll get a Headshok to 1 1/8" adapter, and run a rigid 700c disc fork like a Kona Project 2. Sure would look strange though, a thin steel fork mated up to a massive 1.5" head tube!

Or buy a secondhand 'dale MTB and fit it 700c wheels and drop bars. A "Very" Bad Boy MTB build, heh..

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,489 Posts
rek2 said:
I'm not exactly sure how much different the X fork is from the rest. I doubt they would have gone to the trouble to make a bespoke leg assembly just for the 25mm CX series forks.. (the legs certainly look like they're the same as those on the other forks)
A similar generation 700mm fork lower SHOULD be able to be cobbed on, but it would have to be a 700, as they had less travel, and that travel is dictated by the inner steerer's dimensions. Go find a bike on eBarf with a 700 headshock. Plenty of hybrids out there with 'em!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MendonCycleSmith said:
Interestingly, I just got a closeout sheet from Cannondale about 5 minutes ago, and guess what's on it? 700c Headshock Cross lowers. Priced to move too!
Ohho.. really? I'd be very interested to hear more :) My email address is [email protected] should you want to get in contact via email. I am in Australia so postage won't be cheap, but that is a relatively minor obstable to overcome ;)

My finger slipped on eBay yesterday and I managed to buy an '01 F600. Not sure what to do with it, yet :D Urban bike, new commuter, or build up an ultralight hardtail, decisions decisions...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.