Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such thing in the market right now?

Since I hardly use the big ring, I'm thinking of switching over to a dual-ring-BG set-up, but those I've seen are for DH and freeride and seem too heavy for general XC use.

The best thing I've seen so far is the Truvativ Holzfeller RG, but even that is intended for FR :rolleyes: [bit heavy too]

...external bearing system asking too much? :p

Edit: just found out about Truvativ's Howitzer BB for '06...looks good :cool:
pair the Holzfeller RG with their Shiftguide, and that's one pretty cool set-up :)

thanks in advance for any other suggestions!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think the user may be asking for a dual ring chain retension/guide setup more than just a bash ring, because there are lots of light AL and composite bash rings available, FSA, MRP lightweight, Shimano, for sure and certainly others.

If you want a 2 ring chain rentension device such as a evil DRS or something, then no I have not seen anything that is light enough I'd want to use it on a dedicated XC bike. The MRP LRP is evidentally the lightest

Heim makes a simple chain tensioner that will work with 3 ring systems as well, but you'd still need to find a bashguard.

·
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pretty cool

I didn't know the Saint BG was compatible with those other cranks. Thanks for the suggestion! ;)

[I actually like the RF Evolve X-Types -- light weight, good price]

Homebrew said:
You could get a set of new 2005 LX, RF Evolve XC, TruVativ Stylos with the outboard bearings (check eBay) and replace the big ring with a Saint bash guard (it's only about $10).

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=CR1079

·
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

As I said in my original post, the Truvativ Holzfeller/Hussefelt RG with their ShifGuide looks really good [coupled with the yet-to-be-released Howitzer BB :cool: ]. I just wish Truvativ made something lighter for the XC crowd [or "aggressive XC/all-mountain" ;) ]

I was considering the Evil DRS, but was hoping some manufacturer already had the BG as part of a lighter [than FR/DH] crankset. I could get the chainguide later.

ToddM said:
I think the user may be asking for a dual ring chain retension/guide setup more than just a bash ring, because there are lots of light AL and composite bash rings available, FSA, MRP lightweight, Shimano, for sure and certainly others.

If you want a 2 ring chain rentension device such as a evil DRS or something, then no I have not seen anything that is light enough I'd want to use it on a dedicated XC bike. The MRP LRP is evidentally the lightest

Heim makes a simple chain tensioner that will work with 3 ring systems as well, but you'd still need to find a bashguard.

·
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may have found what I'm looking for

Homebrew said:
You could get a set of new 2005 LX, RF Evolve XC, TruVativ Stylos with the outboard bearings (check eBay) and replace the big ring with a Saint bash guard (it's only about $10).
Truvativ has updgraded the Firex to a GXP bb, and there's now an "all-mountain" version! Sweeeeettt!!! :cool:
And it's in the same 36/24-teeth-BG combo as their FR cranks. It can be found here:

http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/srammediacamp/truvativ.shtml

scroll down to the Firex pic and description.

I may have to wait a while though... :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Respect Your Trails
329 Posts
Another Option

If your not looking to replace your BB and crankset just to get a bashguard to replace the outer ring, check out e-thirteen. They have a slick looking clear ring that is indestructable, but weighs no more than your outer ring. Just a thought. I really like thier products.

http://www.e13components.com/supercharger.html

rigel said:
Truvativ has updgraded the Firex to a GXP bb, and there's now an "all-mountain" version! Sweeeeettt!!! :cool:
And it's in the same 36/24-teeth-BG combo as their FR cranks. It can be found here:

http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/srammediacamp/truvativ.shtml

scroll down to the Firex pic and description.

I may have to wait a while though... :rolleyes:
http://www.e13components.com/supercharger.html

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Question...

Homebrew said:

https://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=CR1079
I've been thinking about doing a same to my bike. I just bought a RF ATLAS EXT BB crankset. I also don't use large chainring very much. So I am thinking about removing the large chainring and replace it with bash guard. If so, is there a way to optimize the chain-line so that when I want to be in midle ring to smallest rear cog (tallest gear combo), the chain line will be optimized? Another way to say that is: having the same chain-line set up as road bike with double chainrings? I am raising this question since chain will never move over to where large chainring use to be. Thx.

STH

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
You can easily adjust the chainline on the Atlas by moving a few spacers over to the nondrive side. You can start by moving the spindle spacers and if that's not enough, you can just move the 2.5mm spacer from drive side to nondrive side.

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
BB spacer for optimum chainlie on 2 rings w/bash

Homebrew said:
You can easily adjust the chainline on the Atlas by moving a few spacers over to the nondrive side. You can start by moving the spindle spacers and if that's not enough, you can just move the 2.5mm spacer from drive side to nondrive side.
Make sense. However, shouldn't more or thicker spacer should be moved over to drive side instead? That way, middle & small ring will line up better more center relatve to rear cog (since large ring is removed & replaced w/ bashgurad)? Hense creating an optimum chainline for two rings that are left on the chankset. Or, do I have this backwards? Thx.

Thx

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.